Why become a member? ×

Jack Bruce: The Man Behind The Bass

Oddly

[quote name='stuckinthepod' timestamp='1416321771' post='2609027']
too much Ginger Baker for my patience to withstand
[/quote]

In fairness, I dont think he was overly featured in the programme. All in all, I'd say his total contribution lasted around ten minutes or there abouts.

I loved both these shows when they were shown a short time ago. Kate Bush is my favourite musician of all time anyway. But I was surprised at how much I liked Jack Bruce's performances with the folky band - his brittle, worn-in vocals, the sensitivity of his songs and his work on the piano and fretless Thumb. Awesome.

CB

Great documentary. But i came on here to complain about Mark King (who i really like) turning up and slapping sunshine of your love, as he would. Can that man just not play a bass normally.

Im reminded of the righteous brothers Paul Whitehouse and Harry Enfield sketch. But with me saying "I like Mark King he is a great guy and an awesome player". "But if he picked up my bass and started slapping, i would say Oi Mr King Nooo!, i understand you've built a career on your thumb, but can you just play normally and give him a slap".

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1416356245' post='2609450']
Great documentary. But i came on here to complain about Mark King (who i really like) turning up and slapping sunshine of your love, as he would. Can that man just not play a bass normally.

Im reminded of the righteous brothers Paul Whitehouse and Harry Enfield sketch. But with me saying "I like Mark King he is a great guy and an awesome player". "But if he picked up my bass and started slapping, i would say Oi Mr King Nooo!, i understand you've built a career on your thumb, but can you just play normally and give him a slap".
[/quote]

I've been waiting on the first Mark King related post on this. .

Well done. . You won (or lost)

He slapped it because that's what he's renowned for and that was his tribute to that bassline?.. He was on screen what. .15 secs?... hardly whinge material was it?

[quote name='crag42' timestamp='1416360204' post='2609466']
I've been waiting on the first Mark King related post on this. .

Well done. . You won (or lost)

He slapped it because that's what he's renowned for and that was his tribute to that bassline?.. He was on screen what. .15 secs?... hardly whinge material was it?
[/quote]

I was being or trying to be humorous :D. However i must admit i did roll my eyes a little.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1416360765' post='2609469']

I was being or trying to be humorous :D. However i must admit i did roll my eyes a little.
[/quote]

fair enough. . You tried

I'm a massive L42/MK fan and not ashamed to admit it. . When I saw him on the JB documentary I immediately thought. .. Here we go. . Let's see how long it takes for a mention on basschat... Not long

[quote name='crag42' timestamp='1416360998' post='2609472']

I'm a massive L42/MK fan and not ashamed to admit it. . When I saw him on the JB documentary I immediately thought. .. Here we go. . Let's see how long it takes for a mention on basschat... Not long
[/quote]

+1. I was interested to see how many top players were influenced by JB and not just us mere mortals. MK's take on such a famous riff was just paying homage to it. I thought the whole programme was great, even misery guts Ginger Baker's take on things was interesting.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1416362034' post='2609476']

+1. I was interested to see how many top players were influenced by JB and not just us mere mortals. MK's take on such a famous riff was just paying homage to it. I thought the whole programme was great, even misery guts Ginger Baker's take on things was interesting.
[/quote]

totally agree mate

for the record around 92/93 level 42 used to play a cover of sunshine of your love and I'm so glad in their live set.. sunshine was an uptempo slap fest and it was ace! !