Why become a member? ×

Does a pro's instrument have the magic that your's doesn't?

xilddx

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1415814994' post='2604083']
Not a bass but a very close friend of mine had a VIP session with Steve Vai once and got to play his main JEM, he said it was horrendous to play, action all over the place and generally uncomfortable. I think he expected it to be a 'excalibur' type guitar.
[/quote]

Week before last Steve Cropper let me have an unplugged strum or ten on his Peavey Custom Tele. It recently came a Cropper (see what I did there?) in that while it was in a gig bag someone managed to drive over it, it's rammed the controls into the body a touch, luckily with them set how he wants them.
He's using it on this tour rather than a back-up because it's the best neck he's ever played - there's not a scrap of finish left on it. He's got big hands so I found it nice to play - and a lot lighter than my own Tele.

One of the biggest self-delusions in amateur musicians is the idea that its not having a magical piece of equipment thats holding you back.

We've (nearly) all done it---spending hours drooling over the "perfect" piece of gear because its the missing piece of the puzzle when actually the missing piece is (nearly always) just practice.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1415895078' post='2604968']
One of the biggest self-delusions in amateur musicians is the idea that its not having a magical piece of equipment thats holding you back.

We've (nearly) all done it---spending hours drooling over the "perfect" piece of gear because its the missing piece of the puzzle when actually the missing piece is (nearly always) just practice.
[/quote]

But an instrument that you find easy to play and that inspires you to pick it up more often will do that. I know my playing came on leaps and bounds when I bought my Overwater Original Bass when it was finally only my lack of ability that was holding me back.

[/quote]

It's just as delusional to think it is just practice..if you don't have any talent...and then there is talent and Talent.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1415899216' post='2605062']
But an instrument that you find easy to play and that inspires you to pick it up more often will do that. I know my playing came on leaps and bounds when I bought my Overwater Original Bass when it was finally only my lack of ability that was holding me back.
[/quote]

A different instrument can certainly be inspiring - my most recent acquisition is a case in point. It has made me look at the way I play in a different light and I'm doing things I wouldn't have done had I not bought it. However, I like to think I've got talent and am a good player, so maybe that's the delusion... practise isn't the issue - I do LOTS of that.

Edited by discreet

[/quote]
This is wisdom. 99% of members of this forum are wholly gear and GAS obsessed - I wonder how many are obsessed with practicing?..............

[/quote]

This is true and the psychology is complex and a bit sad.

Uncle - where did this quote come from?
[quote][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]"The vibes comin' offa Sly and Robbie was [/size][/font][/color][i]terrible[/i][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]...pure terror, the other studios running for cover as Channel One rockers' sound rule the whole scene in Kingston..."[/size][/font][/color][/quote]