Why become a member? ×

The Alternative Rock Factfile. It's Back for a Christmas Edition!

yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1420909598' post='2654911']
The Lemon Pipers of "Green Tambourine" fame don't smoke pipes nor do they like fruit.
[/quote]

I don't know about their smoking or not, but it was their intense dislike of fruit that led them to construct a rapid disposal mechanism for any fruit that inadvertently fell into their hands. If life handed them lemons, they went straight down the lemon pipe.

70's band "Iron Butterfly" were so named after keyboards player Doug Ingle inadvertently sat on a butterfly during early band rehearsals in his basement studio.
Seeing a crumpled butterfly when he got up, he immediately went upstairs and proceeded to steam iron it in an attempt to bring it back to life. I don't know what he was smoking then....but the rest is, of course, history.

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote]these are bassists who read these..... [/quote]

I can't read, I employ my butler to read the forum to me and type the responses. Reading, writing, all that stuff is for poor people it would seem.

Back onto food related rock-facts:

Wilko Johnson, famous guitarist so monikered due to his love of shopping for cheap plastic items in budget household chain Wilkinsons, played with Dr Feelgood. No, not like that, as in played guitar. Dr Feelgood was the nickname the band members gave to crushed up fishermans friends which they would dissolve in cola drinks. The idea was stolen by a bloke from Austria and the rest, as they say, is Red Bull history.

When Tony Newman formed "Pinkerton's assorted colours" in 1965. They were soon dubbed one hit wonders. After the release of their second single, they changed the name to Pinkerton's colours. The third single saw a name change to Pinkerton's.

Despite various members going on to form and join acts such as Jigsaw, Flying machine,Trapeze and Judas Priest, the original band still exists but is now called Pinkert.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1420973624' post='2655562']
Despite various members going on to form and join acts such as Jigsaw, Flying machine,Trapeze and Judas Priest, the original band still exists but is now called Pinkert.
[/quote]

Ah, didn't you hear that Ert has also left? However, the remaining member seems to be enjoying some success as a solo act.

Smokey Robinson's 60's hit "Mickey's Monkey" was named after Micky Dolenz from the hit group "The Monkees". A follow up song "Torks Torque Wrench" was deemed not commercial enough for release however. Of course the song "Davey Jones Locker" predated the whole joke by around a 100 years....

Edited by yorks5stringer

In a recent survey, 93% of rock bassists said their biggest problem was callused fingers, They were not able to pick all the chocalate bits out of the foil wrapper without dropping them and always got chocolate stains on their pants.
(a nod to this thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/243349-phil-lynott-65th-birthday-live-dangerous-day-on-bc/page__view__findpost__p__2528957"]http://basschat.co.u...ost__p__2528957[/url])

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1421091007' post='2657082']
Quicksilver Messenger Service were ahead of their time and saw the requirement for home parcel deliveries back in the 60's. Unfortunately by the time the internet had created the demand, they all had Mercury poisoning.
[/quote]

Yes, but they always knew what the temperature was!

[sub]Johnny Cash and June Carter's hit "Jackson" was named after Son's of Anarchy Head Honcho Jackson Teller, played by Byker Grove's Charlie Hunnam. The theme tune for Byker Grove was by The Kane Gang ( who were not a motorcycle gang however)[/sub]

Edited by yorks5stringer

Master of observational songwriting Chris Rea has penned a new tune, soon to be released, in deference to the working mens clubs of Middlesbrough. Titled "One parmo, one spesh and one leer" it is sung to the George Thorogood version tune of "One Bourbon, One Scotch and One Beer".

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1421228501' post='2658560']
Ann Murray made a mint from her song SnowBird.
(Sorry, scraping barrel)
[/quote]
Many bands make the mistake of upping the tempo when they cover this song. They should remember her personal motto: 'Never Hurry.....'

On my way home last night from rehearsal, I noticed a couple of spots of rain. 30 minutes later it was pouring down and nearly impossible to drive.

When the Fortunes claim that "one drop of rain on your window pane, doesn't mean to say there's a thunderstorm comin" they are talking utter bollocks and should be ignored.

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1421269979' post='2659281']
R Dean Taylor just got on with it. Mind you, he was going to see Jane.
[/quote]

I could have cancelled rehearsal if I'd wanted to. He "had" to see Jane. I really don't think you've fully grasped the urgency involved in his journey as opposed to mine :huh: