Why become a member? ×

luminlay fret markers fitted!

mrtcat

Thought I should share my experiences with luminlay fret markers. I wanted these as a subtle and inexpensive solution for playing on dark stages.

We basically I'm stoked with the results. They do exactly what they said they would. Using the tiny blue light torch for about 10 seconds per dot gives enough glow for a one hour set. They look pretty tidy and they were quite simple to fit. Total spend including the torch was about £30 and that has left me with enough spare glowstick to do two more basses if I want.

Installation can be seen in the pics below. I didn't photograph all the sanding down but it was pretty straightforward all in all and took a little over an hour from start to finish. I have trialled them in my stingray clone which is my new go to pub gig / dingy venue bass. It's low value made it perfect candidate for my first attempt at fitting these.

Cool stuff! Thanks for posting this.
Has anyone tried charging the Luminlay dots using a strongish photographic flash? IMS some glow-in-the-dark substances are more easily/deeply charged with a flash than other substances, but in general, I have rather good experiences with the method.
However, the OP seems to indicate one must use a special blue light (LED?), so a flash may be out of the question.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1415365534' post='2599623']
Cool stuff! Thanks for posting this.
Has anyone tried charging the Luminlay dots using a strongish photographic flash? IMS some glow-in-the-dark substances are more easily/deeply charged with a flash than other substances, but in general, I have rather good experiences with the method.
However, the OP seems to indicate one must use a special blue light (LED?), so a flash may be out of the question.
[/quote]

a UV LED flashlight works best. But whatever you use the strong peak of bright fluorescence is going to be lost after 3-4 minutes. The remaining fluorescence, however, lasts quite a while, and it's clearly visible on a dark stage. If the stage is not so dark... then it's still visible as the dots are white. If the stage has UV lighting... then you'll be laughing, wear shades! ;)