Why become a member? ×

Donny Hathaway Magic.

bubinga5

Just a scratch on the surface of Donny's music. who knows what music he might have gone on to write. i love this record. i always encourage people who haven't heard Donny Hathaway, to have a listen. his voice is perfection imo..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxu1iDTeIUs[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1413072449' post='2574762']
His live album with Willie Weeks on bass is fantastic - and one of the best bass solos ever (IMHO)
[/quote]its possibly mine and many others favourite bass lines.. Little Ghetto Boy imo is some of the best playing I've heard ever. Willie is playing on the previous record also i believe.

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1413072449' post='2574762']
His live album with Willie Weeks on bass is fantastic - and one of the best bass solos ever (IMHO)
[/quote]

That solo is already a huge part a rock and roll history.

One of my favorite albums of all time. It's surreal. You can hear the whole album plus outtakes on Youtube.

Blue

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1413123305' post='2575073']
sublime... and yep Willie Weeks is dynamite on all of it, worth checking him out on Rickie Lee Jones first album too...
[/quote]

And over here you will always hear the ignorant ones on automatic pilot with that " I hate Country Music " response.

Well Willie moved to Nashville just like Frampton and Walsh did. I'm sure these guys all had good reason for it.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1413071970' post='2574757']
Just a scratch on the surface of Donny's music. who knows what music he might have gone on to write. i love this record. i always encourage people who haven't heard Donny Hathaway, to have a listen. his voice is perfection imo..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxu1iDTeIUs[/media]
[/quote]

What a sublime sound.

[quote name='bassintheface' timestamp='1413275385' post='2576493']
'These songs for you' is one of my favorite albums.
[/quote]

If it is the "These Songs For You - LIVE" one, I believe that album is made up from the "outtakes, alternate versions and extras" from the "Donny Hathaway Live" album.

I also belive it features a 16 year old Fred White (later to be in EWF) on drums and my favourite guitarist Cornell Dupree (RIP).

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1413309242' post='2577029']
Very sad to think with all the amazing happy music he made, he ended up committing suicide from severe depression. very powerful thing the mind..
[/quote]

It's seems like many of the[i] "greats"[/i] are somewhere else mentally from the rest of us.

Blue

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1413319401' post='2577165']
Yes, great loss
He was classically trained and apparently always felt that he sold out with his recordings. Sad he may not have realised just how good he was. He was at school with Roberta Flack too and did some great work with her.
[/quote] yeah i heard that.. my mums favourite singer was Roberta. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcWFOIhY9eM

• 11 months later...