Why become a member? ×

whats the live music scene like in devon and Cornwall?

Subthumper

Hi all, I've seriously been considering moving to Devon or Cornwall from Bristol but don't want to end up where there's not a lot of music going on. Here in Bristol there's plenty going on on the live scene both original and covers . If any of you are down that way I'd love to know what's going on and to what kind of standard. I love the area and would like to be down there for a more healthy life for me and the family.
Cheers Just

[quote name='Subthumper' timestamp='1412853950' post='2572656']
I've been considering moving to Devon or Cornwall from Bristol but don't want to end up where there's not a lot of music going on.
[/quote]

Having been in correspondence with a bass player from Devon for a good while, I fear that's exactly what will happen.
Of course, this may just mean there's not a lot of music going on [i]for him[/i]. :D

Edited by discreet

Perhaps I'm not the right one to comment, as my band does less than a dozen gigs a year and can hardly be regarded as part of a 'scene', but from what I can see there is a healthy music community in Cornwall at least. Probably not as thriving as a city like Bristol, but there seem to me to be plenty of gigs going on, lots of pubs doing live music (mainly covers), and in the bigger towns like Truro you seem to get more originals bands. Our nearest 'big' venue is Plymouth Pavilions, the Watering Hole at Perranporth appears to be getting more 'name' acts-well, acts people have heard of (Grandmaster Flash, Billy Ocean) and Princess Pavilions at Falmouth has some decent stuff. Heartlands at Pool near Camborne recently had UB40 and the Boomtown Rats, and have a very well-subscribed Crowdfunder campaign to bring the Foo Fighters to Cornwall. It's not like the big cities but we don't do too badly IMHO.

Depends what you are after. If you want to gig all the time, as a living, you could do it in Cornwall. A lot of pubs all over the county with regular live bands, and a healthy amount of serious live music venues. We don't struggle for gigs and have actually had to reduce it to our favourite venues this year.

If you're wanting to see trendy bands on the cusp of 'making it' every weekend- probably not the right place for that. We hype up the talent down here, and there are some real egos floating around, but most don't amount to much. Those that have any kind of perceived potential are usually whisked away to London where the streets are paved with gold as soon as they amass any kind of following.

I was involved in a project a couple of years ago where we needed a female vocalist. The project had potential, so we went to a local pub to see a live gig of a local female musician who had a good reputation and was making the local paper every so often. She was good, so we went to ask her if she'd be interested in laying down some vocals. A man who looked like he could have been her father stopped us, so we told him whether we could chat to her to ask. He told us no, and there would be no way she would be interested in our project as she had a 'contact in London now'....

Another good example is a band that hyped themselves as 'playing Glastonbury...' They promoted it for ages. Turns out they were playing in a random pub in Glastonbury in the middle of February....

Some good studios down here though, and lots of good summer music festivals. Can't comment on Devon too much, I get a nosebleed when I go over the Tamar.

Well, I've done OK in Devon. Would far prefer to be back in Newquay though.
There's no way it's going to be as lively as Bristol, but it's there. Exeter busier than Plymouth IMHO, Plymouth still suffering a slightly downhill trend, although there are many people working hard to reverse that.

We're more of a jazzy/funky/disco type outfit, and gig 2-3 times a month, but mostly in social club type places. The pub scene seems to be very traditional rock based covers. If that's your thing, and you play well - especially if you have a female singer, you'll do OK down here.

Loads of jam/open mic nights around, which is always a good place to meet people and get your face known

I once nearly got Lynched in Teignmouth for clapping a band from Bristol that played a Jam track.
Someone shouted "I wouldn't play any more like that modern sh*** :huh:
Hm 1980, now at that time 2012, Modern sh***, FK me where have I walked in to :ph34r:
Pub was packed with rather odd looking urdy ghurdy folk blues types from some kind of time warp, some even came in rowing boats to the gig .

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1412892920' post='2573183']
Can't comment on Devon too much, I get a nosebleed when I go over the Tamar.
[/quote]

I think you're exaggerating, the border guards keeping you Cornish out aren't that violent :)

If you want a vibrant, diverse music scene DON'T move to North Devon :D. If you just want to listen to rock/punk covers or folk you'll be quids in. Better still if you like listening to spotty teenagers with an acoustic guitar doing continuous Ed Sheerean covers you'll be like a pig in muck.

South Devon, and I'm only going by the number of musos putting out ads on places like JoinMyBand, is more active possibly.

The major problem for Devon and Cornwall are their geography. Getting places can be a real pain as the roads can be a bit meh! There's a venue only about 20 miles from that I'd like to go to more often but it takes nearly an hour to get to it. The geography also puts off bands from outside the area...but there's also the lack of audience, people just don't go out much.

If you've got a young family move, if you like you're music more, don't :)

I can't comment on Cornwall, I try not to go there :D

Edited by Marvin

My functions band, based in Plymouth have done well the last two years between Devon & Cornwall, gig most weekends..some weddings, functions, good pubs and some clubs in South Devon. Also usually do a few festi's with some friends who enjoy reggae music, some often weird but mostly wonderful little festivals...there's certainly lots of festivals. Definitely nothing cutting edge musically that I've came across though from these parts...but a great part of the country to innovate; i moved from Shropshire 12 years ago and have never regretted any of it :)

I spent the last year in an original rock n roll band and we did nearly 50 gigs. There is a scene, but you really need be around for a bit before you find out what is happening where. Like any out-of-the-way place, advertising is a bit sparse sometimes.

As a 25yr old working Guitarist/Bassist in Exeter, i've managed to see off over 100 gigs a year for a few years now... You have to be prepared to be diverse and take anything, but there's definitely work to be had, and once you have a good relationship with venues they will give you loyalty and plenty of work!

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1412929843' post='2573319']
I once nearly got Lynched in Teignmouth for clapping a band from Bristol that played a Jam track.
[/quote]

... This is a local pub, for local people, there's nothing for you here.

it's not ALL bad in Devon, just mostly. I'm trapped in Plymouth, but I'm forming an escape committee to get back to civilisation.