Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Mibass 2.0. Disappointing. Send it back?

solo4652

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1412954659' post='2573651']
Ashdown have always been spot-on with regards to customer care!
Good lads & lasses for sure

Si
[/quote]+1

Excellent customer care :) & if/when you 'phone their technical dept. you get someone who really knows what they're talking about too! B)

Dear ashdown , I had various cabs can't remember them all sorry eb180 combo now i loved that combo it was a beast just the weight nearly killed me, the little giant series the fans kept failing especially live after several occassions of having these fixed I gave up having my amp shutting down in a gigging situation not good that's why I had a back up ! Now I liked these amps but the fan failing but me off .mibass cabs sorry they never gave me the sound I wanted .maybe fit tweeters with control switches on the back ,problem is I need a more varied sound because my band play from 50s upto modern pop ,what about a revamped little giant head without the fan fail ,now I'd buy one of those as for the root master stuff I can't comment as most music shop around here don't seem to have them or there not set up bit like buying car would not buy without a test drive if I could try them I could give my honest opinion on this range and respect that you have come on here for answers .hats off to you regard kev

Edited by kevvo66

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1412963423' post='2573749']
Dear ashdown , I had various cabs can't remember them all sorry eb180 combo now i loved that combo it was a beast just the weight nearly killed me, the little giant series the fans kept failing especially live after several occassions of having these fixed I gave up having my amp shutting down in a gigging situation not good that's why I had a back up ! Now I liked these amps but the fan failing but me off .mibass cabs sorry they never gave me the sound I wanted .maybe fit tweeters with control switches on the back ,problem is I need a more varied sound because my band play from 50s upto modern pop ,what about a revamped little giant head without the fan fail ,now I'd buy one of those as for the root master stuff I can't comment as most music shop around here don't seem to have them or there not set up bit like buying car would not buy without a test drive if I could try them I could give my honest opinion on this range and respect that you have come on here for answers .hats off to you regard kev
[/quote]

Hey Kev,

Sounds like you have had mixed experiences with our gear most probably good but you've been burnt by a tumultuous relationship with a Little
Giant... An amp which whilst the majority were fine certainly hasn't been our finest moment as far as we are concerned. Whereabouts do you live?
It's a shame you haven't been able to try anything new local to you we shall have to rectify that.

In the meantime I would like to invite you to Ashdown HQ(don't get too excited as glamorous it ain't) for a day at some point. You will be able to see the passion, care and attention that goes into everything we do first hand. I would also suggest that you bring your bass and can then pull whatever amps and cabs you fancy from our warehouse and test away in our sound room to your hearts content. There will most likely be hand built amps being finished whilst you are there as well so you could do the final play test and QC on those too.

Hopefully you will learn a few things about our amps and company you didn't know before( ie there are only 6 full time staff...) Hey you may try a load of amps and hate them all but at least you can say that 'I went to Ashdown and all their amps were crap' with real authority, I'm confident that won't be the case but if it is then it would be fair at least...

Let me know what you reckon...

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1412963423' post='2573749']
,problem is I need a more varied sound because my band play from 50s upto modern pop
[/quote]
I'm sorry, I know I've said this before, but I can't understand how you think the cabs can't produce a varied sound.
I've used them on gigs playing ballroom/modern sequence dancing, Big band, Jazz, Rock, Pop(50s to present), Country, Funk, Soul,and Latin. It doesn't matter if I play electric bass (with or without effects), Upright or Synth, the cabs have no problem
handling anything I put through them.

Dear ashdown , I will take you up on your kind offer give me a date and time and I will come down ,I live in south cheshire ,quite a trek but I'm looking forward to it do I need to phone you direct to arrange this? .regards kev

Edited by kevvo66

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1413012412' post='2574054']
Dear ashdown , I will take you up on your kind offer give me a date and time and I will come down ,I live in south cheshire ,quit a track but I'm looking forward to it do I need to phone you direct to arrange this? .regards kev
[/quote] When you're down there Highlands house park is nice.

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1412981078' post='2573937']
Hey Kev,

[color=#808080][i]......sniped out for brevity's sake....[/i][/color]

Let me know what you reckon...
[/quote]

aww this sort of thing makes me wanna look at Ashdown stuff again :)

Though I'm not naturally inclined to the sound of the ABM preamp for some reason, was struggling with one on monday, which to be fair I don't think is purely the fault of my interactions with the preamp..... Does anyone know what the VU meter actually shows? is that input or output?

To be honest I don't know for the life of me why oh why they had to change the old MiBass for this one. I tried the old version and fell in love with it right away. Lots of tonal options, good power, portable and looked great. This one I tried it and hated the sound.

I'm waiting for one of the old ones to appear, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Firstly thanks to Ashdown for coming on. Having spoken to them on the 'phone and having been an Ashdown owner before I'm a big fan of their customer care. This isn't about bashing someone, for me it is just about the MiBass 2.0

I returned two to Andertons recently, the first was dead on arrival, the second just wouldn't let me dial up a decent sound, I can only describe it as being oddly lightweight. Loud enough but really lacking a full bass sound. Even using the line input with my iPod I couldn't get a good neutral sound. I expected that to sound like a feed through my PA amp but instead it sounded like a loud transistor radio with no real bass. Maybe there has been a dud batch or this one was faulty in some way but everything seemed to be working, it just didn't sound very good and there was no point in persevering with an amp I'd never gig with.

I tried it with three different speakers which I regularly gig with and know well, a 1x12 loaded with the Beyma SM212, a 2x10 and a 1x15 loaded with the Eminence Deltalite. All displayed the same odd sounding bass suckout when turned up moderately. Has this amp been optimised to work best with Ashdown speakers?

I bought the amp because of recommendations here from people who used the old MiBass. It would seem that people were happier with tht than the new model.

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1413012412' post='2574054']
Dear ashdown , I will take you up on your kind offer give me a date and time and I will come down ,I live in south cheshire ,quite a trek but I'm looking forward to it do I need to phone you direct to arrange this? .regards kev
[/quote]

Hey Kev, good news I'll be in touch and we can sort a date that suits.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1413019173' post='2574168']

aww this sort of thing makes me wanna look at Ashdown stuff again :)

Though I'm not naturally inclined to the sound of the ABM preamp for some reason, was struggling with one on monday, which to be fair I don't think is purely the fault of my interactions with the preamp..... Does anyone know what the VU meter actually shows? is that input or output?
[/quote]

On the majority of our amps the VU measures input gain