Why become a member? ×

How to store basses etc ?

Dusty

Due to space restrictions, I'm considering renting some space at one of those storage companies nearby for my guitars and rigs. The amps and cabs are not a problem, but how best to prepare guitars for storage ?

They will all be in hard cases or flightcases, but shoud they be de tuned to ease neck tension ? Should I put Silica Gel packs in the case ? Etc.

Anyone one had good/bad experiences with these sort of companies?

Would appreciate some advice :)

[quote name='Dusty' timestamp='1412546078' post='2569907']
Due to space restrictions, I'm considering renting some space at one of those storage companies nearby for my guitars and rigs. The amps and cabs are not a problem, but how best to prepare guitars for storage ?

They will all be in hard cases or flightcases, but shoud they be de tuned to ease neck tension ? Should I put Silica Gel packs in the case ? Etc.

Anyone one had good/bad experiences with these sort of companies?

Would appreciate some advice :)
[/quote]

I don't think there is any need to de-tune them for storage. My understanding is that the truss rod is designed to remove any bending stress on the neck so de-tuning could actually [u]increase [/u]any bending stress and make things worse . . . unless the truss rod is slackened off as well I guess.

I'd suggest some careful thought about insurance and independent proof of the items and their value that you're putting into storage though. Someone on here lost a lot of gear in a storage unit fire and had insurance problems when it came to a claim. I can't find the thread but it wasn't too long ago.

I remember the thread. The guy was using a cheap storage place - might even have been on farmers property, or a tired industrial unit, and the lot burned down. His insurance covered him for about £100 IIRC, and he posted recently saying something along the lines of ' the loss has killed his desire to play', and it was a lot of money he lost - a couple of top end Warwicks I think at least. Terrible situation.

Definitely read the insurance small print carefully - the unit I had, from a big name, specifically excluded musical instruments beyond about £250 I think, so I kept my gear at home and stored other stuff!

I'd also suggest taking pictures of everything, and making a note of all the serial numbers, as well as creating an inventory list with current valuations, if you can get your local dealer to give you a 'valuation for insurance' on headed paper.

Cheers Guys, I'm considering using the big name companies such as Big Yellow or Safe Store etc. there's quite a few to chose from. Not interested in using a container in a yard or a garage in a block on some dodgy housing estate ! lol

This is more about how best to store them, ie laying flat ot standing up etc, or does it not matter providing they are not crushed etc

I had the same problem, so I decided to sell them instead getting them dusty in a storage... Lol
But seriously, you have to be sure the temperature is constant, the place is secure and place the basses in their cases in a standing position.
And one more thing, you have to have easy and imediate access if you need one of them.
In case you don't... Just sell them.
Best

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1412547279' post='2569917']

I'd suggest some careful thought about insurance and independent proof of the items and their value that you're putting into storage though. Someone on here lost a lot of gear in a storage unit fire and had insurance problems when it came to a claim. I can't find the thread but it wasn't too long ago.
[/quote]

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/217914-everything-gone-advice-would-be-nice/
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/240008-struggling-to-pick-up-a-bass-these-days/

I was told by two high level luthiers to detune 3 or 4 turns & store upright in a case, that was many years ago with no issues since. I vaguely remember a post by someone with a Rick who believed his neck had twisted, possibly in relation to the twin truss rods, when stored due to being left in tune.

With those storage places I'd be wary of how cold it gets at night or winter. Does it have any heating at all? Anyone who's spent a night in the back of a van will know it can get fridge like, which will encourage warping and make condensation a nightmare. Our local DIY place has cheap plastic trays with crystals in them for damp areas, they work well but would it be enough?

This topic has been done many times with either camp swearing that their way works, I don't think it's ever been resolved.

There's a couple of mentions on this thread of storing instruments upright. I'm interested to know why that's better than keeping them horizontal, or any other angle for that matter.
After all, they are made to be played in a pretty much horizontal plane.

I've always understood that the instrument itself has all the delicacy of a baseball bat - ie. it doesn't really matter whether it's stored upright, on its side, leaning against something, or whatever. That's not what will cause it to warp. It is after all a lunk of wood.

What will cause wood to warp is 1) moisture and 2) extreme temperature changes. So an un-heated storage room doesn't sound like a great idea to me (plenty of comments online about this from our American cousins storing basses in cold cellars in the Northern US).

The de-tuning thing is what attracts the most controversy. My basic understanding of physics suggests that de-tuning would be a bad idea - as that would reduce the force of the strings working against that of the truss rod, which keeps the neck in shape. But that assumes that temperature and humidity are going to be constant.

If temp and humidity are going to vary, then de-tuning MIGHT be a sensible idea. But ultimately, you want to avoid significant temp and humidity changes altogether.

I had a couple of bass in a big name storage facility for a while when I finally them out of storage the strings were corroded and the frets were green. Luckily they were OK after a good clean, new strings, and a setup. I'd never put a bass in storage again. Instead I'd probably look for a trustworthy friend who'd be able to keep them in a spare room. I'd love to know why a luthier would recommend detuning. The function of the truss rod is to counter the tension of the strings, but when it no longer has the strings pulling against it, surely it can only do more harm than good.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1413015916' post='2574111']
The de-tuning thing is what attracts the most controversy. My basic understanding of physics suggests that de-tuning would be a bad idea - as that would reduce the force of the strings working against that of the truss rod, which keeps the neck in shape. But that assumes that temperature and humidity are going to be constant.

If temp and humidity are going to vary, then de-tuning MIGHT be a sensible idea. But ultimately, you want to avoid significant temp and humidity changes altogether.
[/quote]

That's my understanding as well. I'd be interested to learn the reasons behind why some luthiers suggest detuning.

Apart from the temperature/humidity issues, I'd suggest it would be fair to say that most basses spend the majority of their life 'in storage' - in the sense of not being played.

My MIJ Fender P has been kept strung and in tune since 1989 and when not being played it has lived in its hard case (stood up or laid down) or on a hanger. I'm not one to practice for hours and hours every day so I'd bet it has been 'in storage' for at least 90% of its life, and more likely 99%, with absolutely no problems.

How many are you talking about Are you sure you cant find a way to store them that's a bit less damp and cold.

I've been looking in to getting some of these to make a wall of bass , as currently mine live on an army of stands
http://english.wiamusic.es/hanger.html

Failing that ... what about a bass-chat library service ;-) pay the insurance on a bass plus a small monthly fee to try borrow a item :gas:

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1413027298' post='2574267']
Find a mate with an attic and try your best not to forget about them!! No need to detune them and feel free to store any way you like.

Truckstop
[/quote]

Can't think how an attic would be any better than a storage facility? It could be cold, damp or too hot just as much as a Big Yellow. It could also have mice or bats like mine!