Why become a member? ×

Help with Bass purchase

drivingatspeed

I play an Ibanez Roadster RS924 which I bought in 1987. It lay dormant for about 20 years until I started playing again about 4 years ago. It still plays and sounds great, but I wouldn't mind getting another bass (I suppose we all get these impulses now and then!). I play in a band with a post-punk sound and I can get a great trebly New Order sound with the Ibanez, but I now also play a more 60s soul influenced sound. I've got the cash for a new MIM Fender and I recently tried out a Jazz, 'cos I was told that would get that soul sound. It sounded great, but I'm now thinking that really the Fender Jazz would just be a duplicate of the Ibanez so perhaps I should be looking for something else.

I haven't experience of playing that many basses so I'd be interested to hear any comments. Is it worth getting the Fender Jazz, or could somebody recommend other basses which might be a bit different and worth looking at?

Edited by drivingatspeed

You have a magnificent bass already, which already covers the basic Jazz and Precision sounds. You have no "need" for a Jazz or a P (you may, of course, have a "want" though)

The commonly found basses that might make significantly different tones to yours would be Stingray or Rick-type basses

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1412420403' post='2568765']
You have a magnificent bass already, which already covers the basic Jazz and Precision sounds. You have no "need" for a Jazz or a P (you may, of course, have a "want" though)

The commonly found basses that might make significantly different tones to yours would be Stingray or Rick-type basses
[/quote]

I believe the OP's Ibanez is an active bass which will probably sound rather more modern than what's in mind for the "60s soul influenced sound" they've mentioned. I'd also wager they have roundwounds on the Ibanez which will be ideal for their post punk band but I reckon flats is the way to go for 60s soul. A Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe P strung with flats is a cost-effective solution IMHO.

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. Yes - my Ibanez is active and does have roundwounds on it. I tried both Fender and Squier Precisions at the weekend. Great sound, but I just couldn't get along with the neck. Just too chunky, especially after the Ibanez. I'll try the Jazz again, and with flats 'cos I've never used them.

Yes - I don't really have the 'need' for another bass, but I could do with a back up, and I just fancied getting another one! I suppose I've come to the conclusion that the Ibanez does really do all the things that I want so I'll probably go for a Squier to keep costs down.

All other recommends welcome though!

[quote name='drivingatspeed' timestamp='1412593631' post='2570139']
I tried both Fender and Squier Precisions at the weekend. Great sound, but I just couldn't get along with the neck. Just too chunky, especially after the Ibanez. I'll try the Jazz again, and with flats 'cos I've never used them.
[/quote]

I don't know what models you tried but the Squier Vintage Modified Precision has a neck profile about midway between a traditional P bass and a Jazz - it's only about 2mm wider at the nut than a Jazz and as far as I can tell the same depth (front to back).

I still have my Roadster, heavily modded as for years I didn't find anything else to match up to it for my tastes.
You can switch the active circuit off, then it's passive anyway.
As hamfist said.. if you want something actually different you prob need a Musicman (usually active anyway) or a ricktypethingthatshouldnotbenamedunlessit'sgenuine.
Keep the Roadster.

[quote name='drivingatspeed' timestamp='1412593631' post='2570139']
Hey guys, thanks for all the input. Yes - my Ibanez is active and does have roundwounds on it. I tried both Fender and Squier Precisions at the weekend. Great sound, but I just couldn't get along with the neck. Just too chunky, especially after the Ibanez. I'll try the Jazz again, and with flats 'cos I've never used them.

Yes - I don't really have the 'need' for another bass, but I could do with a back up, and I just fancied getting another one! I suppose I've come to the conclusion that the Ibanez does really do all the things that I want so I'll probably go for a Squier to keep costs down.

All other recommends welcome though!
[/quote] if you're itching for a good jazz with a thin neck the American specials have a tenner neck than most and a geddy Lee thinner still

If youre after a variety of sounds, have you considered trying FX with amp sims? My Pod XT Live for example has a particularly good Ampeg flip-top sim which allows me to go from my normal contemporary tone to a warm 60s woof at the tread of a button, and without changing basses or even touching the eq. Just a thought.
New bass GAS is more fun though! :D