Why become a member? ×

Wal 4 String Pro Series Passive, late 80s / early 90s - Now £2250
£2500

goblin

Now this is one I wasn't expecting to have been asked to sell.

Due to changes in circumstance of my father's playing, and my future playing also taking off, we're rejigging the gear we use as we've shared this bass as long as I've been playing (believe it or not, this was technically my first bass!) For the work I'm doing, I need a high end 5 (and have seen one), but he's decided he doesn't need a high end 4, so this is going in trade for a top 5 that I've seen. So, whilst it's sad to see it go, needs must in this occasion!

So the bass, it's a tricky one to describe :lol: if you read further down the thread, it seems to be one of the Pro series, dating late 80s / early 90s, with the passive electronics. Single humbucker near the bridge, and the teardrop shaped electronics plate, with volume and tone, and a coil tap. It still has the Wal sound, with the lovely punch and growl that'll cut through anything!

The neck is arrow straight, and at numerous jam nights seems to catch the most attention from surrounding players and luthiers, and it's ridiculously fast as well, as is the general playing action. No rattles or buzzes, and recently strung with Elixir Nanos, so it's ready to go.

Condition wise, I'd give it 8/10.

So the bad bits:

A good few years ago, it was clattered on one of them orchestral music stands in a band pit, but it's been repaired. It wasn't colour matched, just lacquered and flatted / polished, to protect the wood. It feels great, and it's never bothered me, and it's on the back, lower edge of the bass, so you have to go looking for it to realise it's there.

On the back of the headstock, there is some slight lacquer cracking around the machine heads, been like this for years and has never developed, and I've asked others about it, they say it won't get any worse.

The volume pot, whilst everything works perfectly with no scratches, if you're a bit to heavy handed on the volume knob, it'll come off. Not a problem if you're gentle, just something to look out for. I think the top end of the shaft has gone for whatever reason, so the grub screw has nothing to grip properly to. If you're really inclined, a bit of superglue would be fine, but I didn't trust my own hand to do it myself!

Other than that, there's just a couple of little chips on the lacquer here and there, and a touch of buckle rash on the back.

And finally? I'm gunna miss it like hell :lol:

I'll include a hard case, the original one fell apart years ago, but it'd be silly to sell one of these without some sort of shell! I can look into courier, but ideally I'd much rather have it collected from Rochdale, Lancs. Or meet up somewhere.

Now down to £2250

[url="http://s88.photobucket.com/user/goblin92/media/Basses/3ec73b15.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s88.photobucket.com/user/goblin92/media/Basses/5eaeb850.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s88.photobucket.com/user/goblin92/media/Basses/e10386db.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s88.photobucket.com/user/goblin92/media/Basses/e981b769.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by goblin

Cool Wal!! These kinds are pretty rare and hardly pop up. What's the serial number on the neck plate? It'll help determine what year this bass is, but just to clarify it is not a Custom Mk I. Its actually a Pro Series Mk II (reissue Pro basses). A tell tale sign is the presence of a tear drop electronics plate. More info can be found here:
http://walbasshistory.blogspot.com/p/a-minor-diversion.html

All the same, its a very lovely bass. Whoever grabs it will be one lucky player!!!

Oh dear that's lovely. One of those passive Pro 1s has long been on my bucket list of basses and I'm playing much more fretted these days. It all adds up. I should have it. Now, who's going to give me two and a half grand? Good luck with the sale.

[quote name='2004gdavi' timestamp='1411632064' post='2561264']
Lovely looking example. I've been in touch with Paul at Wal and he's considering making the Pro series again. Would be nice to see.

GLWTS
[/quote]

Paul making the Pro series again? Now that really would be something, although of course it would also mean the immediate sale of a kidney.

G'wan Philw, you know you want to ;) Or even make me an offer!

As for it being more mark 2ish, I've seen that page before and it comes as a bit of a surprise, as it's Mark 1 body shape. Either way, Wal's a Wal in my eyes :lol:

Ideally I need it gone in the next couple of days, there's an Infinity I've seen and I know it ain't gunna hang around :(

[quote name='goblin' timestamp='1411651448' post='2561558']
G'wan Philw, you know you want to ;) Or even make me an offer!

As for it being more mark 2ish, I've seen that page before and it comes as a bit of a surprise, as it's Mark 1 body shape. Either way, Wal's a Wal in my eyes :lol:

Ideally I need it gone in the next couple of days, there's an Infinity I've seen and I know it ain't gunna hang around :(
[/quote]

don't want to sound or be argumentative, but just to clarify, its a Mach 2 in a sense that it means its the reissue of the Pro Series bass (second generaton). NOT A Custom series Mach II. This[b] bass is not a Custom Series Mach I [/b](Mk I), which the title misleadingly suggests. However you did mention it was early 80's so it very well may be a [b]Mach 1 of the Pro Series basses,[/b]but saying Mk I along with Wal has been synonymous with the Custom series.

From Walbasshistory:

[url="http://walbasshistory.blogspot.com/p/a-minor-diversion.html"]http://walbasshistory.blogspot.co.uk/p/a-minor-diversion.html[/url]

[i][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]"The true chronology of these basses is not entirely clear. A number were certainly issued around 1989 or 1990. However, occasionally the odd bass surfaces which seems to have been build in the early/mid 1980s (around the same time as the Custom series was launched). It may be that this is a design that Wal dabbled with on a number of separate occasions."[/size][/font][/color][/i]

Prob the only way to tell is by the serial number imprinted on the neck plate.

W2XXX suggest early 80's
W3XXX suggest late 80-90s

here's a Pro from the Wal data bass

Had a chance about 2 years ago to nab one of these, but it fell through since I was offline for a couple days since i was in the hospital and the seller went to the next buyer..... would've been cool to add to the collection!!!

Edited by kulit17

It's a W3 serial number, I've seen them described under various different names. Pro 1, Tr1, and most commonly, Mk1 passive.

So, it looks like a Pro 2?

It's a shame your chance to buy one fell through, they sound and feel absolutely amazing. The option's here now for you though ;)

[quote name='kulit17' timestamp='1411653029' post='2561581']
don't want to sound or be argumentative, but just to clarify, its a Mach 2 in a sense that it means its the reissue of the Pro Series bass (second generaton). NOT A Custom series Mach II. This[b] bass is not a Custom Series Mach I [/b](Mk I), which the title misleadingly suggests. However you did mention it was early 80's so it very well may be a [b]Mach 1 of the Pro Series basses,[/b]but saying Mk I along with Wal has been synonymous with the Custom series.

From Walbasshistory:

[url="http://walbasshistory.blogspot.com/p/a-minor-diversion.html"]http://walbasshistory.blogspot.co.uk/p/a-minor-diversion.html[/url]

[i][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The true chronology of these basses is not entirely clear. A number were certainly issued around 1989 or 1990. However, occasionally the odd bass surfaces which seems to have been build in the early/mid 1980s (around the same time as the Custom series was launched). It may be that this is a design that Wal dabbled with on a number of separate occasions."[/font][/color][/i]

Prob the only way to tell is by the serial number imprinted on the neck plate.

W2XXX suggest early 80's
W3XXX suggest late 80-90s

here's a Pro from the Wal data bass

Had a chance about 2 years ago to nab one of these, but it fell through since I was offline for a couple days since i was in the hospital and the seller went to the next buyer..... would've been cool to add to the collection!!!
[/quote] That sounded like a right little strop lol

[size=4]
[quote name='Francesco' timestamp='1411677621' post='2561904']
It must be a W3xxx serial number, build in the late ´80 /´90. It has the latest design stringtree.
[/quote][/size]

[size=4]good eye!! Ya i forgot that detail....its doesn't have the two part string tree.[/size]

[quote name='goblin' timestamp='1411671646' post='2561827']

It's a shame your chance to buy one fell through, they sound and feel absolutely amazing. The option's here now for you though ;)
[/quote]

it is tempting! been wanting to try out a passive Wal too :rolleyes:[size=4] [/size][size=4]. i have things lined up locally in the Wal front that i'm waiting for i'm afraid....plus shipping across the pond always adds a bit of unnecessary stress......[/size] :huh:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1411741731' post='2562454']
Undisputed winner of the Beedster "Best Bass on Basschat for Quite a While Award". Lovely.
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. How about a bunch of us buy it together and co-own it like wealthy fools do with race horses :-)

P