Why become a member? ×

Suggestions please..........

donslow

[quote name='donslow' timestamp='1410501556' post='2550026']
If I had the spare money to, the Ashdown cabs would be gone quicker than a quick thing leaving somewhere very quickly hahaha but for now, I'm stuck with them :-s
[/quote]

Well, don't compound this by going down the Ashdown route again.
Go for an amp that works well outside of your current cabs since you know
they are on limited time anyway.

I am a bit confused on your tone goals, so maybe post whose sound you like and are trying to get after.
I have a feeling that GK will suit you... and you should aim for the 210 and 115 set-up once you have sorted
your amp.
I don't rate 15's myself but they may just set your stack up a bit higher than 2x210's...and the 210 should 'dominate'
it, to your ears.

Right ladies and gentlemen, firstly, let me say a big thankyou to all of your advice and help, after far more reading than I'm used to and many many YouTube videos, I THINK I've made a decision but before I pull the trigger I want to put my final two contenders up for recommendation (basically, I want you lovely people to tell me which one to buy) in no particular order,

Orange terror bass
A markbass of sorts with a vt pedal

Basically, I'm after more power than I need so I have plenty on tap
I want clean, clear, (no muddy or wooliness but bassy, I quite like the duck Dunn kinda noise but I want to be able to dial in a bit of dirt/grunt if I need it

Which, in all of your valued opinions, should I go for?! (If you say markbass I need help deciding which one)

Is it true the markbass combos are basically a little mark head in a cab with a speaker?!

Or, is there something else more suited?

Many thanks in advance

I'd think the MarkBass with VT pedal is the safe choice given that it's a very flexible solution without too many knobs (ymmv).
The Terror Bass is a lovely amp (just sold mine but not because it's not great), but because of the heavily scooped sound, one is more limited (IMS, a relatively flat respons is reached by turning the Mids all the way up, and the other ones all the way down).
I'd not advise anyone to buy one untried. If you like it, chances are you'll love it, but if you need to buy untried, then get the MarkBass with the pedal.

The model is not that big an issue, but some prefer their LM II over the LM III (don't remember why), the F1 is very clear and true to the original signal, and by large the "valve" version of the little ones seems not worth the extra price of admission as it's reported to have a limited effect on the sound.

Personally I haven't heard it, but from reading on the web, I'd get an F1 with a VT pedal.

Right, gentlemen, apologies again, I know recommendations moved towards the markbass f1 but I have also been eyeing up he little mark 2 currently for sale on here,

Have read a tonne if comparisons and still have no clear difference between the two, is the lm2 really that different to the f1, should I bit the bullet in the little mark or hold out for an f1

Also, recommendations on which vt pedal pretty please....

I owned both, and IMO the LM2 had a much better tone than the F1. Fuller, warmer and not as "sterile" sounding.

The F1 has been the only Markbass amp I didn't like the sound of.

For the last year I've played an Aguilar TH500, which is the only D class amp I would recommend.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1410601831' post='2551108']

For the last year I've played an Aguilar TH500, which is the only D class amp I would recommend.
[/quote]

Agree with your last point Chris, ... I think the TH series carry on the Aguilar tradition of studio sounds
which they made their name on.

I`d say so - I use the LM2 in my combo, and just got an LM3 as a backup, so you could say I`m biased, but the LM amps I think are great. And that is a very good price it`s up for.

Re the earlier question about VT pedals, well again I`m happy to recommend gear I use, Tech21 VT DI. I wouldn`t be without it now, I think it`s that good, and I`m a gear-head, constantly changing - except for Markbass amps which I`ve now been using for 2 years, which is unheard of for me, and this VT DI. Not even looked at other pedals since getting it.

Your help and advice is MUCH appreciated! If the lm2 is the better of the two in your opinion, a lot of people say it sounds warmer, more thumpy etc Think I'm gonna do it, plus I'll have cash left over for a vt di, and still have a little left over for new cab fund, bargain says I

The only thing I`ve really seen is this, and similar quotes on Talkbass:

The big difference between the LMIII and the LM800 is that the LM800 uses a digital power amp, whereas the LMIII has an analog power amp. I don't know the technical details behind why the analog one sounds better, but I tried both out, and the analog amp just has a warmer sound.

OK it relates to the LMIII not LMII but the theory is probably much the same.