Why become a member? ×

Dumb Question But............

taurus1

I'm thinking of selling my cabs to buy either a GK or Aguilar 412.I just thought I'd ask if anyone has experience of getting either of the above in a Ford Focus?.I'd feel a bit of a dolt committing to buying one and being unable to get it home.I've never seen either cab in the flesh,as it were and not sure it would fit.Any opinions gratefully received.Thanks.

[color=#000000]width at narrowest point is 1050mm and length with seats folded is 1565mm and without the seats folded is 920mm - courtesy of Google.[/color]
[b]Dimensions:[/b][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3] 45"H x 23.25"W x 17"D - courtesy of Aguilar (x 25 for mm)[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Should be an easy fit if that's the GS412 you're thinking of - with seats folded though.[/size][/font][/color]

Ahh, that is old MB cabs. Are they B&C drivers in those?

First thing to try is putting the 2x10 on it's side (you can turn the badge if it bugs you). This will do 2 things...
1, bring the drivers higher to ear level & 2, increase the dispersion from the mids so that you & the band hear things better when not stood straight in front of the cab.

Personally, I'd sell the 15 & get another 2x10 (or vice versa). But if you try another amp & the cab's still ain't doing it for you, then get yourself either to a good music shop or a bassbash & try out some gear. I'd never suggest buying without trying (even though I did! But I did like what I got).

[quote name='taurus1' timestamp='1410293057' post='2547978']
I'm thinking of selling my cabs to buy either a GK or Aguilar 412.I just thought I'd ask if anyone has experience of getting either of the above in a Ford Focus?.I'd feel a bit of a dolt committing to buying one and being unable to get it home.I've never seen either cab in the flesh,as it were and not sure it would fit.Any opinions gratefully received.Thanks.
[/quote]

I've had a Hiwatt 4 x 12 on it's front in the back of mine with the back seats down. What you won't like it the chiropractors bills for when you're putting it back in after a gig on a regular basis. Factor in your bass, amp in the space left and it drives like a slug - but that's the Focus for you.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1410362463' post='2548579']
I've had a Hiwatt 4 x 12 on it's front in the back of mine with the back seats down. What you won't like it the chiropractors bills for when you're putting it back in after a gig on a regular basis. Factor in your bass, amp in the space left and it drives like a slug - but that's the Focus for you.
[/quote]

Every car I've ever owned has been turned into a slug by carrying my bass gear,I just accept it now :)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1410359742' post='2548536']
If you have a PA why bother with a cab at all? DI your head and use a monitor wedge (providing it's not a valve head of course).
[/quote]

Sadly the PA isn't very mighty,although I have tried your suggestion in the past.None of us were particularly happy with the result.If we can someday afford a better PA then it might be the way forward.

[quote name='taurus1' timestamp='1410451854' post='2549596']
Sadly the PA isn't very mighty,although I have tried your suggestion in the past.None of us were particularly happy with the result.If we can someday afford a better PA then it might be the way forward.
[/quote]
That's a shame, although maybe spend the cash on a PA cab that can take bass?

I've been using an Aguilar DB 212 with a DB 210 on top of it for a few months now. Super loud, articulated with plenty of punch and a nice round controlled bottom. With this rig I played arenas and amphitheatres in a rock band with two guitar players + loud drummer and a keyboard player with an actual Leslie speaker on stage and my Tone Hammer 500's master volume never had to be pushed beyond 11 o'clock with the gain around 10 / 11 o'clock. I think two DB 212's (or a 412) might be a little boomy on certain stages. The 212 and 210 are such a great match sound wise and also offer you a modular rig that's not so difficult to transport. I couldn't recommend it more. I imagine with an SVT Classic it would be even more amazing.