Why become a member? ×

Odd tips...

Cantdosleepy

Oright, a couple from me -

-I worry about needing a wee when I'm onstage, so tend to sneak to the bathroom three or more times in the ten minuters before we're due to go on. Which is silly, as we're only up there for twenty minutes, and I'm an adult. I went to practice last week and really did need to wee, but I held it in as we ran through our whole set. By the end I was jiggling between songs, but I made it, and I didn't play too badly. I now no longer worry about needing to wee onstage.

-I get nervous before we play, so usually go into the first song with my heart racing a little, and so flub early notes when I shouldn't. At home now before I practice, I sometimes do 20 quick press-ups, turn on the metronome, put on the bass and start playing after only 4 metronome pips. This really simulates the strange rushed nervousness of playing live and has improved my performance in the first half of the first song no end.

Any other slightly weird tactics/tricks you do in practice/at gigs tyhat you'd like to pass on?

A spare lead that's shorter than the one you're using is no spare at all.

Have a mic stand mounted drinks holder

look at the brightest , furthest away fire exit sign and pretend it's a person

No - you can't have a go on my bass even if it is your birthday and you've always wanted to know what one feels like

Learn a whole lp over the space of a weekend...try it.

Having difficulty learning a technique or passage or line? Quit swearing and curseing at yourself,or your instrument...put the Bass down,do something else....go for a walk,cook,drive,wanq,read a book (NOT a music mag or publication)whatever.... ANYTHING other than playing the instrument. come back later..half hour..hour..afternoon,whatever it takes for you to 'unfeel' the stress. Then return.you should have more success. Rome was not built in a day.

Noodleing in front of the TV can do wonders for your creativity,as can Flu.

Play unplugged around the house,find the brightest room,find the softest room,play on the stairs,play in the garden,just feel the open strings ring out.

Every once in a while,have a week or two off*

*Im having my 1st holiday from Bass in 5 years,its fun,its making me itchy to play again....havent been itchy in years.

Edited by ARGH

Never use instrument cables to connect your head to your cab.

Playing tips wise never get complacent onstage if it is a repetitive line still think about it, in practice the other day i was playing a simple song but when it changed i didn't the band asked me why i didn't change i explained i was wondering what to have for dinner.

If you get a guitar for yourself, get one that looks totally innapropriate for your band (my guitarists generally describe mine as 'gay'). That way its less likely they will start borrowing them and making you lug them to and from practice on their behalf. And les likely to start playing 'Come as you are' in the corner of your living room.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='249983' date='Jul 28 2008, 09:42 PM']Never use instrument cables to connect your head to your cab.[/quote]
Why is this? I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but what's the difference between an instrument cable and a amp cable??

[quote name='Wooks' post='250303' date='Jul 29 2008, 11:35 AM']Why is this? I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but what's the difference between an instrument cable and a amp cable??[/quote]

Instrument cables are shielded - the "ground" wire runs around the outside of the "signal" wire with insulation between them.

Speaker cables have two thick parallel conductors and are not shielded.

Using speaker cable as instrument cable -> noise due to lack of shielding

Using instrument cable as speaker cable -> possibility of conductors melting together and causing a short.

S.P.

[quote name='stylonpilson' post='250337' date='Jul 29 2008, 11:58 AM']Instrument cables are shielded - the "ground" wire runs around the outside of the "signal" wire with insulation between them.

Speaker cables have two thick parallel conductors and are not shielded.

Using speaker cable as instrument cable -> noise due to lack of shielding

Using instrument cable as speaker cable -> possibility of conductors melting together and causing a short.

S.P.[/quote]

Thanks for making that clear :)

Always have somewhere safe for your drinks to go, never put them on top of your amp, or on the floor where they can be kicked over.

Take a small dark hand towel on stage with you.

Always keep in eye contact with your drummer.

Don't wander off on one when a particularly nice lady is looking at you.

Avoid the boom ends of cymbal stands when reaching down for anything.

Make sure you get payed before you go on.

Always try to enjoy the gig and listen to all of the band, not just the parts you are playing.

Find something useful to do during songs where the bass doesn't come in till halfway through. For example, tidy out your gig bag, write out the set list for the next gig, clear out all those old receipts from your wallet, practice the riff for the next song.

If the guitarist forgets his lead, explain that bass leads are wired with extra low impedance and aren't suitable for use with guitars.

If the guitarist starts to play a song in the wrong key, never ever attempt to transpose the bass line in your head. If you get it wrong people will assume it's your fault. The correct procedure is to stop playing, wave your arms above your head and shout "What the f*ck are you doing" as loudly as possible.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='250507' date='Jul 29 2008, 03:35 PM']Find something useful to do during songs where the bass doesn't come in till halfway through. For example, tidy out your gig bag, write out the set list for the next gig, clear out all those old receipts from your wallet, practice the riff for the next song.

If the guitarist forgets his lead, explain that bass leads are wired with extra low impedance and aren't suitable for use with guitars.

If the guitarist starts to play a song in the wrong key, never ever attempt to transpose the bass line in your head. If you get it wrong people will assume it's your fault. The correct procedure is to stop playing, wave your arms above your head and shout "What the f*ck are you doing" as loudly as possible.[/quote]

I would say that if your guitarist is prone to that mistake, learn to transpose your lines! You make the whole band look sh*t by stopping a song once it's started. It doesn't matter who's fault it is, you all look as stupid as each other.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='250517' date='Jul 29 2008, 03:47 PM']I would say that if your guitarist is prone to that mistake, learn to transpose your lines! You make the whole band look sh*t by stopping a song once it's started. It doesn't matter who's fault it is, you all look as stupid as each other.[/quote]

I don't think you noticed the wiff of sarcasm in that post...either that, or +1 Cheddatom! I'm the daddy at transposing Long Way To The Top by AC/DC, as our guitarist starts it in anywhere from G thru to C, depending on the amount of blood in his alcohol system!

I've read that if your fingers get cut during live playing, throw in some salt. It'll probably hurt like a bastard for a few minutes but it helps to cauterize the cuts enough for your digits to survive the show. (I think I read that one in a Hugh Cornwell book.)

I try to avoid drinking before I go on. I've broken this one once or twice and it usually results in mistakes, sloppy playing, spilled beer on equipment, flooded leads, broken glasses on the floor, etc...your band won't be happy with you. Unless they are drunk too, in which case you can bask together in your mutual musical failure. :)

Grolsch bottle stoppers (the red things!) make great last-minute strap-locks.

You can never bring enough duct-tape.

Avoid the 'monitor pose'. [url="http://www.musicplayers.com/images/john_petrucci.jpg"]http://www.musicplayers.com/images/john_petrucci.jpg[/url] It ain't smart, it ain't cool, and imitating this pose gives John Petrucci the legal right to sue your bollocks off.

Can't think of any others right now, thankfully. :huh: