Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

I have a Status eclipse (wooden neck) and it or any other status ive played would not be my choice for a warm sound. Tried to use my status in a reggae band before and although it kind of worked there was a strong high mid or treble element i just could not seem to get rid of. I'm not saying a status couldnt do this but i think its far less suitable than your average bass for a warm sound.btw the eclipse was i think Status's most upmarket wooden neck bass with the same pickups and electronics (bass/treble/volume/pan and a switch; its a bright switch i think) as the graphite neck models.

Edited by Tdw

Hmmmm ... sorry Tdw but I really can't agree.

The graphite neck on the Status Vintage Artist I sold recently sounded indistinguishable from the maple necks on my Fenders, except that it had greater punch. Perhaps, at a pinch, I'd also claim greater clarity. Issues of warmth/brightness simply didn't apply.

My Status Streamline is a one-piece construction from a single moulding of carbon fibre. Mine happens to have P/J pickups fitted, with the split P being disguised by a soapbar cover. Everyone who has played or heard it comments that it doesn't sound particularly 'different from normal' despite looking like no other bass.

I am sure that there are some very middy Status basses (I'm think Mark King specials etc.) but Status are nothing at all like Warwick, with a 'signature' sound.

HI Happy Jack, i could well believe that a status vintage artist would sound fender like, the vintage range certainly has traditional looks so would probably be made with a more trad sound (ive never heard one). But i dont think think the vintage range is what people consider to be the status sound, id say that was more represented by models closer to the series 2 with a pretty hi fi sound. Also couldnt say what effect a graphite neck has - im one of those people who thinks a bass's sound is mainly in the pickups/electronics.

I have a Washburn status. Notoriously bright, very trebly , perfect for slap tone. Loved that tone . Various covers bands preferred the Hohner professional sound, which was passive . I had a few problems with my Washburn circuitry. Graham Noden of Denmark street mentioned that in the '80s , a lot of active pickups were just put
into basses with mixed results. He tested the strength of my stock status pickups and decided that they were strong enough to be made passive, without sounding weak.
Result being a much warmer and adaptable sound.

It sounds like the op would be better off with a tele bass with just the one humbucker , with his musical preferences. Or , a headless bass which has a passive/active switch.

I play a Steamie in standard pickup config. It's the most versatile bass I own out of my current line up of Jazz, Rick and Ray. I agree that Status aren't the first bass that comes to mind when looking for warmth but it has an 18v 2 band pre that allows plenty of tone shaping - I've never had a problem dialling in a tone for my functions (60s and 70s pop/rock) and 80s pop pub band. It's not as bright as an S2 which surprised me a bit with the one piece graphite construction.

PS....I'm probably one of the few Status users that doesn't slap ;-)

I recently had a streamline but couldn't get on with something about it and i can't put my finger on what exactly. It was one if those basses that I really wanted to like but just went off it the more I played it.

Tone wise it seemed a bit flat and not very dynamic if that makes sense? Left me a bit disappointed as I'd wanted one for a while. It was a standard four and i still fancy a go at a 5er as I think I prefer the slightly narrower spacing.

Edited by Dazed

I don't see the problem with using a Status for any style of music. I agree that a lot of the Status sound is in the pickups and electronics, the graphite just helps to even out any dead / hot spots. I've used both a Strata and a fretless Kingbass in a function band, without effects. Yes, it may sound more 'trebly' compared to a Fender with flatwounds, however, the only one who will care about the bass sound is you, not the punters.