Why become a member? ×

The Aging Local Rock Musician

blue

61 here. If it wasn't for the dodgy back I'd certainly still be doing it!

I once played in a function band where I was the oldest by around 15 years (perhaps a little less...) - I let it slip while setting up for a gig one day, and the rest of the guys didn't believe me. :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: I think I was 48 or 49 at the time. I was a lead guitarist in those days; interestingly the next oldest was the bass player, who was in his mid 30's. The drummer was about 21 - I used to teach him Maths when he was at school. :lol:

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1408514691' post='2530819']
The drummer was about 21 - I used to teach him Maths when he was at school. :lol:
[/quote]

Dep drummer we use is same sort of age. He 'suffers' having been taught in school by the other three of us - he copes very well.

I'm the youngest in our band at 48 and have been playing regularly since I was about 18.

Yes, kit seems to get heavier, the nights get later and my knees hurt when I bend down to put my bass away. But I believe that I am playing better than I ever have done and there is still plenty of room for improvement.

The other night a youth called me "a sick bass player" - which is apparently a good thing nowadays :)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1408400246' post='2529914']

Thanks, but I only photograph a little younger than my chronological age. Face to face I look all of 61, no big deal. However, it brings up another part of discussing "The Aging Local Rock Musician" I don't go out of my way to look old where I see a lot cats my age do. I don't try and dress like a 20 year old but I also don't try and think too much about what a 61 year old should wear or look like.

Blue
[/quote]
Nice looking lady there, Mr Blue :)

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1408525283' post='2530950']
No no no. I'd die of embarrassment.
[/quote]

Link please, we all have to die of something eventually :D

The nights for pub bands are a bit harder nowadays.
Back in the day, the pub shut at 10.30/11pm. Now you are still playing at 1.00am in some of them.
Can often be 3am when you get home. Mainly cos our piggin drummer has more gear than Carl Palmer :rolleyes:

I only started playing bass when I was 47, so it must have been some weird mid-life crisis.

I'm now 62, rest of the band is late 50s. We used to have a singer who was late 20s, but she was the one always getting ill, so we parted company end of last year. It's been a real struggle getting the new band going after a string of cancellations with the previous singer. Even my lightest bass seems to be getting heavier and I'm finding it harder and harder to learn new songs that need even slightly complex basslines.

On the other hand, if I gave it up I don't know what else I'd do.

A few years ago at a charity gig there were two vintage guys playing with a much younger drummer. The bass player said they'd groomed him on the Internet. It was sort of funny once, but he kept on saying it. Definitely not a good idea in the current climate.

Edited by spinynorman

What's all this about giving up!? I didn't [i]start[/i] playing until I was 50, having not touched any sort of musical instrument before. In my last band, I was the youngest by 30 years and did occasionally feel like everybody else's dad. On the upside, I was introduced to whole swathes of music genres that I had no idea existed, and this was quite often not the case when playing with other 50-somethings who would tend towards Beatles and dad-rock, neither of which particularly interest me.

As long as what you're doing is legal, decent and honest - get on with it and enjoy it.

Steve

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1408539020' post='2531162']
Nice looking lady there, Mr Blue :)
[/quote]

Yes, word to the wise, don't get personally involved with women in your band.

Unfortunately I had no choice, by State of WI Law if a 27 year old female gives an opportunity to a 60 year old guy, you have to take her up on it.

I know, it's a goofy law. :D

Blue

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1408542054' post='2531213']
I'm a law graduate and so thoroughly approve of this law. Subject to meaningful consent of all parties.
[/quote]

All kidding aside, I think the whole women/rock musician apeal is something many of us 60 plus guys struggle with, however some of you guys understand the reality of this side issue.

Some guys are still stuck on, [i]"Why do I seem invisible to all the 20 something women?"[/i]

[i]Blue[/i]