Why become a member? ×

Best P pickups and wiring

JamesBass

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1406278802' post='2510006']
Precisely what I use on my American Special and it sounds just as good as my vintage P. Another very important thing to keep in mind is the right strings to achieve the sound you want. I use D'addario Chromes and with the tone control full up I still get a lot of growl and enough presence to cut through any mix finger style, with a pic or slapping. Tone control rolled off to taste and you can have as much Motown as you want. Ah... And a proper set up too.
[/quote]
This is pretty much exactly what I'm looking to do, but I might stick with rounds on this bass and just use foam to mute the strings, maybe anyway.

Still liking the tones I've head so far from the Aguilar AG4-P60, quite natural yet still has presence and cut. I'm waiting on a few emails back from some of the other pickup manufacturers so that I can get a better idea of what's available if I went custom and looking for some better sound bytes!

John has actually PM'd me this morning so I'll be talking with the man himself about the wiring kit :)

Edited by JamesBass

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1406284049' post='2510104']
If you want that classic original Fender sound Bare Knuckle is the only option that will 100% nail the sound in my experience!
[/quote]

+1 to this, have the Bare Knuckle PE Js in my Jazz and they're fantastic. Cost a bomb though, unfortunately!

The last three P pups in my Squier CVP have been Wizard Thumper, Fender 62 Original and Fralin. All sounded good and all seemed to be in the same ball park. Considering the Fralin costs almost twice what the Fender costs i m not sure these boutique pups are always worth it. There are differences between most pups but i think a lot of it is so minimal that its not worth paying too much unless you really have to.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1406281947' post='2510060']
This is pretty much exactly what I'm looking to do, but I might stick with rounds on this bass and just use foam to mute the strings, maybe anyway.

John has actually PM'd me this morning so I'll be talking with the man himself about the wiring kit :)
[/quote]

John's a star! super helpful and very very efficient!

Foam under the strings, I've done this before an dth eeffect is good, try to make sure the foam isn't too thick that it raises the strings though as it'll pull you out of tune a bit...I found that a cut up cotbed mattress provided good foam for 'that motown sound' ;) I think I've still got some in my drawer at home...

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1406310247' post='2510539']
Before you splash out on an expensive pup give an Entwistle PBXN a try you might be pleasantly surprised by the quality.
[/quote] Agreed nothing but fantastic things said about these and wiring buy a Ki0gan loom best you can get for very sensible money IMHO :)

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1406310242' post='2510538']
Before you splash out on an expensive pup give an Entwistle PBXN a try you might be pleasantly surprised by the quality.
[/quote]
Have you experience of these yourself? If so got any sound bytes?

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1406311352' post='2510558']
Have you experience of these yourself? If so got any sound bytes?
[/quote]

I do have experience of the Entwistle PBXN unfortunately i dont have any sound bites and also i dont have any other P pickup basses to compare it with other than the SPB2 that i took out in favour of this one. The Entwistle is quite a fair bit louder and to me it has more clarity and an even volume over the strings without going to any trouble of setting the poles, i found the D & G strings were lacking volume with the SPB2 even with that side of the pup unscrewed at a jaunty angle.

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1406234758' post='2509712']
I had exactly the same problem, and resolved it with a Tonerider from Amazon - £35 delivered. Much better tone and responds well to the tone control. Flatwound strings are also a must for a proper pre-CBS tone.
[/quote]+1 for the Toneriders. Adding a J pup to my P-bass plus a KiOgon loom. Watch this space...:)