Why become a member? ×

Do 90's basses count as 'vintage'. Price question

basshead56

Hi all,

There's a bloke up the road with an early 90's Gibson Thunderbird for sale.
I've got him interested in a part exchange with some cash his way but he seems to think $4K NZD (2000 pounds) is what it's worth?!
A new one is about $2700 (1350 quid) and this one isn't 100% original and has quite the number of scuffs.
Also if i'm honest - never been a fan of the sunburst ones - much prefer the Ebony models. But looks arent everything - i prefer a bass sounds good rather than look good

Now i have numerous 70's basses, some in mint condition, some are 'mojo'd' to hell, but I've never paid anything like 2 grand for any of them and they are considerably older and all bar one are in closer-to-original-condition.
My questions then are -
have I been lucky up to now? or is 2 grand a bit ambitious to say the least for a 90's Tbird?

Cheers
Col

[quote name='basshead56' timestamp='1404953546' post='2497334']
Hi all,

There's a bloke up the road with an early 90's Gibson Thunderbird for sale.
I've got him interested in a part exchange with some cash his way but he seems to think $4K NZD (2000 pounds) is what it's worth?!
A new one is about $2700 (1350 quid) and this one isn't 100% original and has quite the number of scuffs.
Also if i'm honest - never been a fan of the sunburst ones - much prefer the Ebony models. But looks arent everything - i prefer a bass sounds good rather than look good

Now i have numerous 70's basses, some in mint condition, some are 'mojo'd' to hell, but I've never paid anything like 2 grand for any of them and they are considerably older and all bar one are in closer-to-original-condition.
My questions then are -
have I been lucky up to now? or is 2 grand a bit ambitious to say the least for a 90's Tbird?

Cheers
Col
[/quote]
Hi Col,

Personally I'd ask the bloke what he's smoking! £2K for a 90s TBird is HUGE money! Not even 70s Ps are going for that much in good condition!

I'd steer well clear personally. It's not mint, it's not the colour you prefer and it's up for huge money!

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1404955166' post='2497336']
Hi Col,

Personally I'd ask the bloke what he's smoking! £2K for a 90s TBird is HUGE money! Not even 70s Ps are going for that much in good condition!

I'd steer well clear personally. It's not mint, it's not the colour you prefer and it's up for huge money!
[/quote]

I'm definitely thinking he's on something...

Good evening, Col...

I'm not sure of the utility of comparing London prices with those practised locally in New Zealand. I have regular contacts with collectors in Australia, and the prices we see are very different from those elsewhere. Not sure this helps much, either... :blush:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1404960185' post='2497346']
Good evening, Col...

I'm not sure of the utility of comparing London prices with those practised locally in New Zealand. I have regular contacts with collectors in Australia, and the prices we see are very different from those elsewhere. Not sure this helps much, either... :blush:
[/quote]

Bonsoir!

Good equipment and gear is harder to find down here, but it shouldn't be THAT expensive. Most of the collection I've built since arriving here has been reasonably well priced and stacks up with the prices on offer at home... I think there are chancers and bludgers everywhere! haha

[quote name='basshead56' timestamp='1404966685' post='2497350'] I think there are chancers and bludgers everywhere! haha
[/quote]

This! :) Offer him what[i][b] you [/b][/i]think is a reasonable price, explaining how you have come to that conclusion. If he refuses - his loss, not yours. B) It is definitely a buyer's market at the moment.

Edited by Conan

A 90s Thunderbird is not vintage. It's just a used version of what you can buy nowadays.

Looking at sold listings on eBay a modern second hand Thunderbird goes for between £700 and £900. Looking at the Interparcel website it should be possible to ship a Thunderbird from the UK to NZ for around £250 with £1000 worth of insurance. Then you just need to factor in whatever the import duties are for you final price.

Still looks like a lot less than £2000 to me...

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1405023520' post='2498093']
Where does 'do 90s basses count as vintage' come into all this?
[/quote]

I think the OP is implying that the seller of this T-bird is asking a silly high price, and the only possible justification for doing so would be that he is labouring under the misconception that the bass is somehow a "vintage" - and therefore worth more than it really is...

Or that's my interpretation, anyway... :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1405084454' post='2498704']

I think the OP is implying that the seller of this T-bird is asking a silly high price, and the only possible justification for doing so would be that he is labouring under the misconception that the bass is somehow a "vintage" - and therefore worth more than it really is...

Or that's my interpretation, anyway... :)
[/quote]

That was my main point really.