Why become a member? ×

Dragon's Den

Deep Thought

Anybody see Dragon's Den last night? I didn't myself but I gather from GMTV this morning that one of them has 'invested' in a band. They were on this morning, seemed OK, but nothing special I thought. Lead singer plays bass (Yamaha RBX-shape job). Virtually inaudible brass section. Lyrically pretty good. Wonder if this will do them some good or be the kiss of death. Thoughts?

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='245124' date='Jul 22 2008, 10:18 AM']Anybody see Dragon's Den last night? I didn't myself but I gather from GMTV this morning that one of them has 'invested' in a band. They were on this morning, seemed OK, but nothing special I thought. Lead singer plays bass (Yamaha RBX-shape job). Virtually inaudible brass section. Lyrically pretty good. Wonder if this will do them some good or be the kiss of death. Thoughts?[/quote]

Like you I didn't see them last night but saw them on GMTV too. I thought that when Peter Jones when asked what they were like replied "think Coldplay with amphetamines in your tea" my thoughts were he's big em a little. When they started palying I thought yeah Coldplay on downers not uppers in your tea!!!!! They were pretty average to say the least, I bet that there are a few BC member's bands that can wipe the floor with them!!! In fact I know this to be true having been to a few BC's bands sites :)
I think that they were kind of in the right place at the right time. As for their future who knows with bands everybody knows how the music industry isn't in good health in terms of sales etc. Maybe a good short term punt because of the exposure they're getting at the moment, but long term...who can say. that's a whole differnet kettle of fish, a lot of things can happen to a band in a short space of time. I'll reserve judgement on them for now.

He invested £75k for 30% of their entire back catalogue and future earnings. The program gives them more publicity than most bands, they already have some album sales under their belt, Peter Jones knows a load of top guys at Sony - it's a no brainer?

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='245149' date='Jul 22 2008, 10:38 AM']But I don't get why they invested so much having barely heard them![/quote]

This was in the paper yesterday (they were giving away The Independent with bottles of water at the train station - weird...). Apparently they were in there for two and a half hours, and played a few tunes. I don't suppose the whole thing would've fit on your TV.

i didnt think they were ANYTHING special, and if anything i would have said they were very average – They didn’t seem to have anything original (look/sound/etc) and seemed to be quite passive performers. I think it was definitely a case of being in the right place at the right time, and Peter Jones knowing the publicity that the show will give them and seeing “£” signs in his eyes with the “30% of everything” deal.
Fair play to the bass playing lead singer though, you don't see many of those at the moment :)

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='245124' date='Jul 22 2008, 10:18 AM']Anybody see Dragon's Den last night? I didn't myself but I gather from GMTV this morning that one of them has 'invested' in a band. They were on this morning, seemed OK, but nothing special I thought. Lead singer plays bass (Yamaha RBX-shape job). Virtually inaudible brass section. Lyrically pretty good. Wonder if this will do them some good or be the kiss of death. Thoughts?[/quote]

Looks like it had the desired effect we are all discussing it !

[quote name='cheddatom' post='245198' date='Jul 22 2008, 11:07 AM']He invested £75k for 30% of their entire back catalogue and future earnings. The program gives them more publicity than most bands, they already have some album sales under their belt, Peter Jones knows a load of top guys at Sony - it's a no brainer?[/quote]

Isn't that how 80's pretty boys 'Bros' got ripped off.....?

30% off the top, take out the recoup and tax and you're left with pretty much naff all!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='245202' date='Jul 22 2008, 11:11 AM']As an odd twist... A colleague at work was in a relationship with the lead singer!

I missed the programme (as did she; she had no idea that they were on) does anyone know if it is on any form of freeview/iPlayer/youtube?[/quote]

Warwick, yup it's up and playing now on [url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00cr49s"]BBC IPlayer-Dragons Den[/url]

[quote name='Wooks' post='245218' date='Jul 22 2008, 11:27 AM']:) :huh: :huh: :huh: Oh boy Tom I look forward to you witty comments, you really keep me amused mate[/quote]

Honestly, you bassist's and your toilet humour. I'll have you know I worked as a high class rent boy for quite some time in the late 80s and met bros on more than one occasion.

discussion on ROTD about it-
[url="http://www.recordoftheday.com/cgi-bin/rotd-mb/rotd_config.pl?frames;read=151522&expand=1"]http://www.recordoftheday.com/cgi-bin/rotd...22&expand=1[/url]

does sound like another Sandi Thom-style PR stunt.

They realised that one or two of the rich dudes have been bitten by the celebrity bug - their competition seems to consist of blokes who've invented a device that scratches your arse via your mobile or similar - it makes for a bit of 'fair enough' TV while you're going through your post or whatever - their pitch was intelligent and not 'we're gonna be massive, us'.

Good luck to them , they'll need it with such an average song and even more average singer.

I watch that show a fair bit. That little Greek bloke irritates me for some reason. If I ever got into happy slapping I'd pick him. He nearly trashed the 'reasonably priced car' on Top gear t'other night. That would have been a bonus!

Not bad to have 4 dragons out of 5 sniffing around your product..mind you, I thought it was a little unprofessional that they couldn't do any else apart from the "extract" they played.....still, good on 'em I say!

[quote name='SJA' post='245322' date='Jul 22 2008, 01:09 PM']here's their myspam-
[url="http://www.myspace.com/hamfatter"]http://www.myspace.com/hamfatter[/url]

"girls in graz" is alright. a bit Joe Jackson/Ben Folds.
walking bassline could be more flowing though.[/quote]

And Website
[url="http://www.hamfatter.net/"]http://www.hamfatter.net/[/url]
the comments on Peter jones and why they chose him are quite funny ..