Why become a member? ×

Need recommendations for replacement P bass bridge

Subthumper

So after owning my 79 P Bass for 27 years I've finally come to admit that the original bridge is rubbish....saddles move and action adjusts itself as you play. I don't want anything too radically different, so looking for something essentially the same but of a superior build quality. I know loads of people have swapped bridges on fenders but was looking for a recommendation. It's my main bass and is gigged most weeks, long sweaty pub covers gigs, plus I do a lot of singing so mostly pick style that's gets quite thrashy.
Be interested to see what comes up as after a quick Google there seems to be a huge variety of designs and prices.
Cheers Just

The Gotoh 203 B bridge is the one I think I'd choose if I were thinking of upgrading the BBOT bridge on my Squier P bass - it looks a bit chunkier than the stock bridge (but not excessively so; I'd not expect much change in tone or sustain) and it has the shallow channels for the saddle adjustment height screws to sit in which makes it a bit more stable and it still looks a lot like the original bridge (though with additional mounting holes). There's this place that sells them

http://www.cdguitars.co.uk/gotoh-203b-4-bass-bridge-chrome-cd6936ch-249-p.asp

I have tried Badass, Hipshot A style, Gotoh 201 and a cheap Gotoh-a-like.

Hipshot was the very best by a long way. Also the most expensive. And heaviest (mine is brass). But a superlative bit of kit.

Next best was the Gotoh 201, which is much cheaper but well engineered. Probably followed by the Badass which I personally think is vastly over-rated.

In terms of value for money the generic Gotoh-a-like cost me £13 on eBay and does exactly the same job as the Gotoh, just not as good quality.

I think the "hefty cast bridge = improved tone/endless sustain" myth is exactly that. Having said that, I don't like Fender BBOT bridges mainly because they look like cheap crap, whatever they're on, and I've found in the past that aggressive pick playing can cause them to move around.

Considering you probably won't want to be drilling holes in your 27-year old P, the Gotoh is a good recommendation, top quality build, looks good & should be rock-solid. In the unlikely event you would consider drilling new holes to fit a bridge, the Schaller 3D is worth a look, I'm a big fan of these for the roller saddles & adjustable string spacing, they're beautifully made bridges too.

I agree with Paul S - the BA2 seems to be regarded as some sort of Holy Grail, but I find them bulky, crudely made and they add noticeable weight to a bass. Plus it's a bugger trying to find an Allen key to fit them!

Jon.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1403365094' post='2482161']
Leave it alone and put some thread lock on the saddle screws. There's nothing whatever wrong with the standard bridge.
[/quote]

Indeed... I have a soft spot for the BBOT. They work, look cute and they work.

The Gotoh was on the bass when i got it, it's nice but there's nowt wrong with the stock bridge IMO.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1403365094' post='2482161']
Leave it alone and put some thread lock on the saddle screws. There's nothing whatever wrong with the standard bridge.
[/quote]

Agree with this, another nice option is the Wilkinson BBOT bridge. Another cheap solution if you are experiencing side to side movement is to pull each bridge saddle into it's neighbour using a small cable tie around each pair of side by side saddle screws.

In my youth, the era when the Badass bridge appeared and it was all the rage I thought what a good idea. 40 years of bass playing later tells me save the money. I have never had any problems with the standard briodge.

Edited by 3below

If you really must swap out the BBOT to get grooves in a bridge, then I`d look at the Gotoh. It`s very like the BBOT visually, retails reasonably, and offers the adjustments/features you want. And it`s an easy swap with no drilling required (for 5 hole bridges).

Nothing wrong with the standard bridge, but you have to apply thread lock or cable tie the saddle screws together. How does that tally up? People have made incremental improvements to the original design (including Fender themselves) to incorporate grooves to minimise lateral saddle movement, adjustable string spacing and the like. Don't get me wrong, the 4 saddle BBOT was an amazing second go at it, but these changes have improved bridges in terms of design, functionality and reliability.

I have been known to get my nose out of joint when people spout utter BS about my beloved Gibson basses, but one complaint about the BBOT and watch the "nothing wrong with it, nothing needs to change" trad Fender brigade come out with their pitchforks. Adjustable string spacing? BURN THE WITCH! ;)

(in case the winky smiley isn't enough for you, IT'S A JOKE, which should be obvious given its absurdity)

I like the look of the fender Himass bridges... really just for the look.

I've had absolutely no probs with the BBOT ones at all though.

Pleased with the Gotoh on my orange one, although I'd have been just as happy with the stock.

Dunno if the bass was customised or left the factory (Japan) with it... it has all black hardware.

The CV Squier bridges look okay if you can find one.