Why become a member? ×

Mackie's: SRM450's or Thump 12a's?

Marvin

Just a quicky, oooer :)

Is there much difference in sound quality between these two active PA cabs? The Thumps work out about £250 cheaper that's all.

The practice room we use have the SRM's and we like them, however, are they worth that much more than the Thumps?

Edited by Marvin

Don't touch the Thump 12's. I got three from Digital Village a couple of years ago, for smaller pub gigs, and pretty quickly two failed. DV replaced them. Then one of the replacements failed. That got replaced too. DV (eventually) admitted that there were problems with the Thump 12's. They are apparently built in a different factory than the rest of the Thump range and their build quality isn't to be trusted. Compared to the 450's, the Thumps are a lot less powerful. I've used 450's for years and have had no issues with reliability and they're good and loud too. You get what you pay for so I'd say go with the 450's and you shouldn't regret it. And you already know what they sound like. Give the Thumps a wide berth.

The original Srms were way better than the later models. The main difference being the drivers, which were made by RCF in Italy. They swapped to Chinese drivers and electronics around 2007 and were never quite as good after that.

SRM450's by a long way.

We've had two sets of the TH15a and none have failed us yet (touch wood), but as FOH speakers they are incredibly underpowered and will clip constantly.

We now run a different set of TH15a's as fold back (primarily as they are very, very light and have a 3-band EQ, and are cheap) but we run v2 SRM450's FOH and these are great. Would have liked to have heard the 'better' original v1 models with the RCF drivers but I also hear these overheated terribly and would often cut-out mid gig.

FWIW although they are more expensive, you can now pick up the SRM450's for £299 from Gear4music, which is a bargain! A couple of years ago they were almost £500 a piece!

We had a Thump sub for a couple of months... it went pretty quickly.
Nothing good to say about it really...
I think Mackie have fallen from a decent height unfortunately...but then you could say that
about HK, as well, IMO. HK over Mackie, for sure, tho.

I must admit to having a vested interest in this topic as I have two Thump 12's up for sale on this very forum, but...
I've been running Mackie SRM 450 tops and HD1501 subs with the Thumps as monitors for several years with no problems. I wouldn't use the Thumps for main tops, but as monitors and for practices they are great. And great prices too. Yes, you get what you pay for, but you can pay a lot more for something you don't actually need! I do have a sneaking suspicion that sometimes peoples PAs blow up because they push them too hard for too long.