Why become a member? ×

Amp for funk.

JohnSC

With your playing technique and the basses you use, for your budget, I'd say get the Vanderkley Aurora, but it does also depend on what music styles you prefer. :P

Seriously though: is the TC BG250-208 the one you lust for, or the one that is within your budget, or?
To be able to help better, we do really need you to volunteer more info, not the least of which is your budget and whther you want an amplifier, a speaker cabinet or both combined in a combo.

Up to now it looks like you want a combo, which is perfectly OK, but just be aware that separates are more flexible if you want to exchange or test something, and can be a lot more handy when something goes wrong and you need to borrow something.

Edited by BassTractor

Wonderful how the Off Topic and Gear sections.. er.. come together.
Or do they? ;)

Joking aside, I now gather that you are not British and do not live in Britland?

Let's assume US dollars and say $700 is like 400 Bitish pounds.

I think a quite safe bet is that you need a 300W or more, quite modern sounding head. There's one problem, IMHO, which is that the choice of head depends largely on the cab it is to drive, or at least should depend on it.

But if we can assume the 112 cab is fairly easy to drive (can you find out how many dB it will give for 1W?), then you could buy a tiny Class D head with many knobs and switches, like a TC, an Ashdown MiBass, a Beta Aivin (aka RedSub aka Harley Benton, aka Ibanez Promethean) 250 or 500W, maybe an EA Micro or a used Genz Benz Shuttle, and there are many more that I can't remember right now.

The larger TC BH500 might also be possible. I feel it's a rock machine, but it seems very flexible, and might serve you well.
If you can stretch the budget a little, you might be able to find a used one of the magnificent Genz Benz GBE 750. It's magnificent only because I bought one. ;)

That's all I can think of for now. Must sleep.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1402874629' post='2477530']

Having been married to AltoTractor for over 30 years, I can confirm this statement is not true. :D
[/quote]

It always pays to shop around for the best deals! ;-)

[quote name='JohnSC' timestamp='1402865769' post='2477440']
Which amp would you suggest for a funk player? I really like sounds like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZJj70B2IJc
[/quote]

What you are hearing there is the sound of the bass and, more importantly, the player - not the amp itself.

If you are in the US, then Carvin would be a great place to start looking. But what is your speaker? When you say "DIY" do you mean that you built the cabinet yourself? If so, no offence, but how competent are you? Did you use a top-spec driver or a cheap one? It all matters...

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

Impossible to say...
Even if you like that demo...do you play with that style..attack and feel..?

Most amps can get you there or there abouts but by the same token if
you approach it wrong... you could end up a million miles away.
You need to think thru what the core thing is about that sound.
Typically that is a rolled off sound, so the passive tone and a good touch
will get you in the ball park.

The real quality of the gear is that little extra mile...after a certain point, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't think it matters what amp you have for Funk. Just get one that you like and play funky stuff. It's all in the fingers.

Personally, I like a Mesa 400+ because it's loud and versatile and will do whatever I want it to.

It's a bit like asking "which car is best for driving along a country road". It depends on how you like to drive and the country road.

Isn't the funk in the fingers anyway? I'd focus on some funk fingers instead.

If you were a time traveller and were able to go back to , say 1985, the obvious choice would be Trace Elliott - not too difficult to pick up a 715/1215 combo for around £200.

Today's choice might well be to look at one of the EBS HD range - the 350 is an excellent beast, I haven't played the 750 but would bet that it does everything that you need it to.

I have a 250-208, its a great amp and you can add an extension cab or two so very versatile. Great eq too. Toneprint and a tuner. Works great with pedals too. I have had trace, ashdown, line6, peavey, roland and fender amps. Both tube and solidstate and this seems to be the best sounding so far. I stack it with my 1x12 or my 1x15 cabs for extra fatness or on its own at home or jamming at friend's houses. Very lite too at 11kg. Mainly play rock, metal, punk but its just as at home with a bit of ska/reggae n dub. Basses are 62 re issue P and pawn shop mustang. I dont slap much though.
But when all is said n done there is no substitute to going and trying as many amps as you can, but the key is to take your own bass when you do.