Why become a member? ×

TI Flats

AntLockyer

Thought I'd spend some wages from my last gig on some TI flats. I replaced the old (12 years apparently) Fender (maybe) flats. I was keen to try the TI because I have Labella DTF on my other P.

I must say I was massively shocked with these strings. They sound like High Beams, bright, not very smooth under the fingers (although much smoother than rounds) and just a bit clanky (45-100). Played for a couple of hours and still was unsure. Until I cranked up and played along with a recording at sensible levels. Then they made a lot of sense. Seem like a massive output, growly as anything and with the tone rolled off massive fatness but not a lot of thud.

My intention was to restring my other p with rounds at some point but I think now the 62 sounds great with these and gives me all the tonal options I need.

My first ever set on G&L SB1 now 8 years old, still going strong. Although they are a little pricey (new), the lifetime makes them excellent value. You also get the bonus buy(s) on BC when for some reason they are not to someone else's taste. Even better when pre 'run in' by previous owner. These are the strings I had been looking for in the previous 30 years bass playing until I discovered them.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1402860296' post='2477372']
My first ever set on G&L SB1 now 8 years old, still going strong. Although they are a little pricey (new), the lifetime makes them excellent value.
[/quote]

...and I'll raise you two years on that. Probably some of the best value strings on the market.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1402858515' post='2477346']
Played for a couple of hours and still was unsure.
[/quote]

That's much too soon to reach any conclusions one way or the other. Wait a couple of weeks at least. They can be a bit sticky for a while at the start, but that wears off.

Would you all say that the TI's have a looser tension than the La Bella DTFs? Considering putting a set on one of my Precision basses - currently have DTFs on two Jazz Basses and sometimes find the tension a bit heavy.

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1402956663' post='2478367']
Would you all say that the TI's have a looser tension than the La Bella DTFs? Considering putting a set on one of my Precision basses - currently have DTFs on two Jazz Basses and sometimes find the tension a bit heavy.
[/quote]

Yes they are much less tension including the lightest LaBellas (extra light 039 - 096)

but, having just done a full setup, the difference is nowhere near as marked as I thought it was. Especially when most of the loose string clank you can hear acoustically just doesn't translate through an amp and when you are playing it loud enough you can't hear the strings anyway :)

I got my 5 year old daughter to play for a bit, she's always got greasy hands.