Why become a member? ×

Old Fender cases ? which tolex case to what bass ?

blyn

Hi

I have four old Fender jazz basses from sixties and seventies and four cases to put them in :-)
The basses:1966, 1969, 1971 and 1977

The question is ... which tolex case to what bass?

Please see attached pictures of the cases

Regards Brian

Cases no

Edited by blyn

I have no idea but I'd guess that the bottom one is the earliest. The gap in the handle seems smaller than the others (especially compared to the one on the top) and the clasp in the middle of the handle seems like a silly place to put it (and all the others have moved them across to the left suggesting that design didn't work too well).

Just a fun guess though. Could be total wrong!

The style of the 'Fender' logo on the case is a good clue for dating - see details here [url="http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html#cases"]http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html#cases[/url]

Thanks for the input!
Unfortunately the logo´s are broken or partly damaged.
The the clasp in the middle of the handle and the Locks having a different shape on no. one case is special.
This one is supposed to be for the ´66 Jazz.

Case 1 looks like it could be the '66. It's hard to tell without proper shots of the logo. Even broken that'd help a lot.

The logo on case 1 looks smaller, I could be wrong about that, but if it is smaller then 3&4 that looks like a '66 type to me. It could also be case 2 for the 66 but the clasp in the wrong place on 1 is odd and typical of hand made gear from that period which regularly has anomaly's, a batch could have been experimented on, made wrong or just cocked up by the new guy in the factory.

I've had a late 60's P Bass with a logo minus the tail, so case 2 could be for that one. I've found that the cases can vary in the 60's. Perhaps either the factory guys or guitar shops just reached for the nearest case in the store room or Fender did the usual thing of using up old stock later on.

I hope this helps a little, problem with old Fender is that they often made up the rules as they went along and not everything is set in stone.

Edited by Chiliwailer