Why become a member? ×

New String

beerdragon

I'm playing at a local pub tonight. we have set up and done a sound check. i have come home to get changed and pick up the mrs. last night in practise i bust an A string so i put a new one on. during the sound check earlier on it stuck out like a sore thumb. all bright and zingy. i aint going to enjoy tonight i think. maybe i should have changed them all. :)

[quote name='beerdragon' post='243502' date='Jul 19 2008, 08:51 PM']I'm playing at a local pub tonight. we have set up and done a sound check. i have come home to get changed and pick up the mrs. last night in practise i bust an A string so i put a new one on. during the sound check earlier on it stuck out like a sore thumb. all bright and zingy. i aint going to enjoy tonight i think. maybe i should have changed them all. :)[/quote]

Personally I don't think it will that be noticeable by Joe public but I think you should change the rest ASAP.

How the hell did you break an A string was you playing with a pair of pliers?

Never mind an A string, I broke a low B on my P5 last night.

It was from a set of Labella flats I put on it only 2/3 weeks ago. It's only done a couple of gigs and a rehearsal.

From putting it on, I was a bit peeved about the lack of sustain - you would get the initial attack, and then it would stop ringing quickly, almost as if it was being gated or heavily limited.

The string didm't snap or anything - in fact it looks intact. I think the inner core is broken.

I reckon it may have been a badly manufactured string. I have seen people comment about Labella flats with that before.

With this in mind, I've sent a mail to Stringbusters (who I bought them from) to see if I have any chance of getting a replacement.

It's worth a try, but I won't hold my breath.....

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='243570' date='Jul 20 2008, 12:33 AM']Thats a long time but I don't see how you can I've gone 13 years without breaking one.

My pliers struggle to cut them when I want them to.[/quote]
I break 'em when I use them to floss my teeth

I've broken one string in 30 years of gigging. An 'E'. At the Londoner in Leeds on 25th April 5 years ago. I know the date because the string's here on my wall with a note attached !!!

It was faulty - new on - and unwrapped from the brdge. Went 'floppy' rather than a straight snap and got in the bloody way.

So - solution to your problem is the same that I used that night....
By all means carry a new set of strings - I do - but also carry a spare old set from the last time you changed them.

I boil and dry them when I change a set , put them in the new string's wrapping and into the gig bag. Well useful to stop 'new string' syndrome if you snap one.

A snapped string is also absolute best reason NOT to have ashtray bridge covers on a Fender. You can't even get the old one off never mind a new one on until it's removed which takes even more time.

it's about 18 years since i broke a string..i don't have the string, but i do have the gibson plectrum that had the chunk out of it that the failing string caused.

new strings do indeed sound very zingy compared with old ones...my advice ?

don't gig with brand new strings !

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='243542' date='Jul 19 2008, 11:38 PM']In 23 years I've never broken a string, is that some sort of record ?.[/quote]

Nope - I went 25 and I have an excuse for the one that popped !!

You'll have to play like a right wuss for the next 2 years if you want to be the Daddy !!!!

I break them alot,I play alot,although Ive calmed down onstage in recent months..I used to smash out my anger and go through a set every 3-5 gigs.

Ive broken all strings,all notes,all guages...I prefer Heavy 110s,they can take the punishment.