Why become a member? ×

Bypassing your amps preamp, does it defeat the object?

Guest MoJo

Guest MoJo

I run through a Peavey BAM210 and modified (4 ohm) PRO115 cab and have been very pleased with the sound I'm getting. I had an issue with the controls on the amp where turning the knob would see the corresponding LED either not move or sometimes move in the opposite direction. For the last gig, I took my GT-6B and plugged it's output into the power amp of the BAM. The depth and clarity I achieved by using the amp models on the GT-6B, paricularly the SWR model which literally shook my eyeballs, were greater than any model on the BAM. I discussed this with my guitarist who said "whatever works" but I feel, what is the point of buying a modelling amp if you're going to bypass the preamp. I have since resolved the issue with the amps controls following a liberal dose of contact cleaner. Not sure which way to run the rig at the next gig, not that it'll make any difference to the audience, I just want what's best for the band

Edited by MoJo

Use whatever sounds best - the preamp is flavouring to taste, sometimes you want a different taste. I do this a lot with neutral(ish) amps, then add Sansamp/Aguilar/Sadowsky pedals to suit the situation. No one but me notices or cares in the slightest...but it helps me enjoy the gigs.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1401456087' post='2463828']
Go with whatever works, but... if you prefer the sound bypassing your pre-amp you might look into replacing your amp with a poweramp
[/quote]

+1 to this.

A Gitard friend of mine ditched his (Marshall?) head in favour of his multi effects and a crate mono block power amp. He got the exact sound he was looking for on every song.

i didn't know my GT6B had an SWR setting. I need to look further.

I have a GK 1001RBi but at home i'm using small GK MB200 which has an incredable sound and i kinda prefer it to the 1001 if i'm honest.
I guess i could run the MB200 pre-amp into power amp of 1001.

I'm in agreement with most. Use whatever you think or feel is best.

Dave

Guest MoJo

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1401462922' post='2463905']
i didn't know my GT6B had an SWR setting. I need to look further
[/quote]

Neither did I until I read the manual. The 'Session' preamp models an SWR SM-400. Huge lows with crisp clarity