Why become a member? ×

Can't decide!

cana.dan

I'm in a pickle.

Here's the problem, I have GAS for a new bass. I thought I wanted a P Bass, love the sound I can get from them, so I went and tried a few in Guitar Guitar. The American standard felt great, so did the Lakland Skyline P I tried.

But then I tried the Lakland 44-02 they had on the wall, wow! Neck felt amazing and the action was nice (I'd still tweak it though) and the tone. I played it through a TC combo set flat but it still sang.

Easy decision, right?

Then I see on TalkBass a guy selling a Stingray Family Reserve in turquoise with a roasted birdseye maple neck and board, absolutely stunning. Importing here to the UK will cost roughly as much as a the Lakland. I've owned a Stingray before and I did like it but the unfinished board didn't really click with me (the Lakland is also unfinished but feels nicer to my hand), so this BFR has a glossy board so I should like it more than my previous one. As it's online though I won't get a chance to play it before buying it.

Any suggestions?

If you like the Lakland after playing it in the real world then logically I'd advise you go with that. But of course I realise logic and economics can be ignored when making a bass-purchasing decision! So I'll say... follow your heart.

I'm not helping much, am I? :)

Edited by discreet

If it was me, I would buy all three.

In some ways, you can't go wrong whichever of the three options you end up choosing. The Lakland is a very playable and very, very versatile bass ( I was playing my fretless 44-02 last night in fact, and I'm always very impressed with how it sounds and the overall feel of that bass) and if you know you like that particular example, that makes it the most sensible choice.

Regarding the EBMM BFR, if weight is an issue for you then make sure you know what it weighs, because a lot of those basses are on the weighty side. That is a very lovely looking bass though, and could be a sound financial investment , too. Just be sure you are being realistic and accurate about the cost of importing it.

A Precision is a Precision . Everybody needs one, but the other basses offer a bit more variety.

I saw that Stingray and thought it looked cool but the total price came in at £1,200 after cost of currency, shipping and taxes and I thought that was a bit too much without being to play it and/see it in the flesh.

Should be able to get a used Lakaland or P Bass for way less than that (even a new 44/02 should be available for about £1,000)?

[quote name='cana.dan' timestamp='1400768149' post='2456808']
The other thing I should mention is I'm waiting on a build from Nino Valenti as well, so I'm really overdoing it on basses at the moment. Currently have a Valenti Jazz, Fender Jazz and a Rickenbacker 4003 in the stable.
[/quote]

In that case, the Precision or the Stingray would be most different to what you already have in a way, although the Lakland does do a very passable Stingray impersonation.

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1400781229' post='2457002']
I dislike how the lakland goes from fancy to very plain wood body to head, should've got a matching top.
[/quote]

If you want a figured fingerboard you can get that, but you would have to buy a USA model at about three times the cost of the Skyline.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='cana.dan' timestamp='1400768149' post='2456808']
The other thing I should mention is I'm waiting on a build from Nino Valenti as well, so I'm really overdoing it on basses at the moment. Currently have a Valenti Jazz, Fender Jazz and a Rickenbacker 4003 in the stable.
[/quote] tell us about that one. :) I had Valenti No. 42 for a brief period - lovely lovely bass....

Decision was made...

In the end it was neither!

I'm now the proud owner of an ACG Graft J Type bass. Bought from lovely BC'er ead. Stunning instrument. Will take some time to properly play it before I venture forth any opinions but so far it sounds bloody amazing.

[quote name='cana.dan' timestamp='1400953599' post='2458561']
I'm now the proud owner of an ACG Graft J Type bass. Bought from lovely BC'er ead. Stunning instrument. Will take some time to properly play it before I venture forth any opinions but so far it sounds bloody amazing.
[/quote]

Well there's a lateral solution. How about some pics?? :)