Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Home recording on bass

highwayone

The band I'm in have knocked up a demo and sent me the files in wav format. They've asked me to have a pop at recording the bass at home, can anyone on here give me some advice on how to do it, if it's possible. Do I need software/hardware/Tupperware????? I haven't a clue. Thanks in advance.

[quote name='highwayone' timestamp='1400006325' post='2449867']
The band I'm in have knocked up a demo and sent me the files in wav format. They've asked me to have a pop at recording the bass at home, can anyone on here give me some advice on how to do it, if it's possible. Do I need software/hardware/Tupperware????? I haven't a clue. Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

Maybe see if there's a fellow BCer in the Leicester area already a bit clued up on these things..? Not that it's so difficult or complicated once up to speed, but the very first attempts are not likely to be your finest..? Hardware..? A PC or Mac, and adequate interface for plugging bass into USB or similar. Software..? A Digital Audio Workstation (DAW...), and maybe some effects tools, typically vst. Tupperware..? Not indispensable, but useful for storing home-made pies and such. Plenty of U-tube tutorials, but it'll take a while to get a hang of things. Try to find a generous willing partner would be my advice. Plenty of info here, of course, in the 'Recording' section...
Hope this helps...

Edited by Dad3353

How did your band record the demo? as surely it'd be better to do it with them if they have any experience of doing over your first attempt at home recording, which if goes anything like my first attempt at recording will not sound pretty.

But if your unable to do it with them, I recommend a line 6 toneport (usb audio interface), getting the free 'evaluation' version of amplitube 3 (solid guitar / bass amp simulator), and getting reaper (free** software for recording, compatible with both amplitube and the toneport) for starting points / bits and bobs.
Then go on youtube which has tonnes of videos and tutorials on how to get your teeth into it all

**it's only free as they want you to buy the program, but never actually make you buy it.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1400064952' post='2450318']
I've been happy with my simple Focusrite 2i2 - easy to set up with lots of support on their website, sound is good and feels relatively sturdy.
[/quote]

I think you get Ableton lite with that too ?

I have a Focusrite 2i2, it is very good.

:)

Edited by ambient

For a simple overlay of a bass track on top of a pre-existing wav/mp3, I find Audacity more than capable enough for that. No need to get a fully featured DAW - and thank God for that - I cannot wrap my head around the angry fruit salad that is most DAWs I've encountered. BUTTON AND WIDGET OVERLOAD.

How long would it take you to record the bassline? I can get you free recording time in a quality studio in Leicester, but you'll have me engineering.

I've used a M-Audio Fasttrack Pro interface for some years, and it very much seems to do what it says on the tin.

There are quite a few bits of free software available. Pretty much anything will record and allow you to do simple mixes. The differences between them are going to be in more advanced functionality. E.g. if VST plugin effects are supported.

If you're on Mac, you might want to consider Ardour. It has a bigger learning curve than simpler software, but can be used for very sophisticated recording. Hence the time spent learning it might be worthwhile. Unless this is going to be a one-off thing.

Edited by Annoying Twit

Careful now!
I started by buying a Focusrite 2i2 in order to email basslines to the rest of the band.
Then I started to play with the free Ableton that came with it.
Then I entered a daft ditty into the Basschat composition challenge.
Now I'm going to buy a keyboard and a full Ableton!

[quote name='highwayone' timestamp='1400006325' post='2449867']...They've asked me to have a pop at recording the bass at home...[/quote]
[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1400313671' post='2452762']...I can get you free recording time in a quality studio in Leicester, but you'll have me engineering...[/quote]

Now there's an offer that cannot be refused, surely..? Not 'at home' (although Leicester, in its wider sense, could be considered 'home'..? :rolleyes: ), but a great introduction to the whole recording process. Of course, you'd have to be able to put up with having a self-confessed Annoying Twit on your back, but a decent cuppa tea and a biscuit or two should sort that out, no..? Well done, Twit, for the offer, whatever the outcome..! B)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1400340480' post='2453068']
Careful now!
I started by buying a Focusrite 2i2 in order to email basslines to the rest of the band.
Then I started to play with the free Ableton that came with it.
Then I entered a daft ditty into the Basschat composition challenge.
Now I'm going to buy a keyboard and a full Ableton
[/quote]

Sort of what happened to me. I use my PC as my home rig for rehearsing etc, and I got a 2i2 to replace an ageing M-Audio 2496 card (after seeing how good USB audio interfaces are these days with my B3). First thing i did after getting it up and running was to buy a Midi lead and hook up my old Korg 5N. 3 days before i even plugged a bass in. Previously i hadn't played keyboards for almost 10 years.
I do prefer Sonar to Ableton though, but mainly as i know my way around it.

Edited by dave_bass5