Why become a member? ×

I'd love to get this one but they are asking silly money - Squier P JV series

Grand Wazoo

[quote name='EMG456' timestamp='1399797708' post='2447634']
By the late seventies, Fender couldn't make a decent guitar in the states. Under CBS's ownership, standards had fallen and the focus on what their products were actually for had been lost. Most intelligent and informed players preferred the replicas or copies which were being made by the Japanese companies such as Tokai, Fuji Gen ..
[/quote]

Speaking as an informed and intelligent player, I have yet to play any other Fender or Fender replica/copy (including JVs) that I prefer to my '78P :-)

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1399799230' post='2447665']

Speaking as an informed and intelligent player, I have yet to play any other Fender or Fender replica/copy (including JVs) that I prefer to my '78P :-)
[/quote]

Glad you like it!

I'm just recounting the general feeling at the time.

I haven't played a 70s Fender since, well... the 70s as I was so comprehensively put off them.

I'm sure that those that have stood the test of time and are still being played and loved today are the better examples or have been fettled over the years. After all, all the constituent parts were there, it's just that straight out of the factory, they were not •consistently• good.

Cheers

Ed

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1399871139' post='2448426']
Sorry but am I alone in thinking that modern fenders are for the most part excellent? Modern electronics and manufacturing technologies are surely better than then? Having tried both I think so. :happy:
[/quote]

Yes, absolutely.

The Jap Silver Series Squiers have got to be one of the best bargains around today if you can find one. You get the Japanese quality of work & materials all for today's Squier prices! I doubt this advertised bass ( ok, a JV not SS) plays or sounds better than the Squier Jazz I've just bought for £500 less!

I used to own a new Squier VM Jazz a couple of years ago. Quite honestly, that felt like a 'toy' bass in comparison to my Jap Squier. The hardware was very cheap & the tone was lacking too. Comparing these two, the 20 year old bass is superior by loads.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1399717584' post='2446914']
Looks like you're going to have to put a bid in for that JV then!

Taking inflation into account, £230 back in 1983 is the equivalent of £678 in today's money...

[url="http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html"]http://www.thisismon...anged-1900.html[/url]
[/quote]

If the JV Series Squiers were being produced today exactly the same as they were , made in Japan like they were back then , then £678 would be a fair price for one. That sounds about right to me .However, I am sceptical about paying upwards of 800 quid for a bass that is over thirty years old and may have all kinds of issues associated with such a passage of time .

Nice as the JV Series Squiers undoubtedly were, the plain fact is that there are plenty of nice basses about today made much more recently that you could buy for similar money that are a much better proposition. I would choose a used Post-2008 American Standard Fender over a JV Series Squire in a heartbeat, and a Roadworn series bass is probably a lot better bass , too. Like I have said before, the Roadworn basses capture the overall vibe of those JV Series basses pretty well, albeit with a distressed finish ( and if someone would have done that to my Squier back in those days, I certainly would have been distressed. :lol: )

Their is a tendency to attach romance to the unattainable, and dwindling supply means the JV basses have now attained that romance . They were excellent basses for what they were, and a lot of fun to play, but you can get a better and more practical instrument that is just as satisfying in every way for that kind of money nowadays.

Edited by Dingus

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1399871139' post='2448426']
Sorry but am I alone in thinking that modern fenders are for the most part excellent? Modern electronics and manufacturing technologies are surely better than then? Having tried both I think so. :happy:
[/quote]
Sense at last! The only duff Fender I ever had was a Jazz. A '68 Jazz. What a dog.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1400920397' post='2458120']
Sense at last! The only duff Fender I ever had was a Jazz. A '68 Jazz. What a dog.
[/quote]
and for me 2011 Fender which was a total joke. (Imported it from the U.S. sight unseen). The Frets were hanging over the edge of the fretboard and playing it would have shattered my fingers. From what I hear QC at Fender is still an issue