Why become a member? ×

Not quite the bargain I thought it was

Guest MoJo

Guest MoJo

Yesterday I drove down to Michaels Wood Services to pick up the Bass Collection SB301 that I bought on ebay for £91. An absolute steal I thought. When the seller presented me with the bass, I was confronted with what appeared to be a Time Team find. It was without doubt the dirtiest, most neglected instrument I have ever encountered. The fingerboard was filthy and dry as a bone and there was the remnants of a twenty year old piece of masking tape on the back, browned and hardened by time. The neck looked straight and it had genuine Gotoh tuners. Apart from a loose pot it all seemed to be ok. I got it home, dismantled it and set about cleaning it. Removing the piece of tape was the hardest job. Now it's starting to look something like. There was no mention of it's dirty condition in the listing and had I paid £180 - £200 for it I would have been very disappointed. I still consider it a bargain and my BB414 may be coming up for sale soon as a result of my new acquisition and my one-in-one-out policy.

Now you see, if that were me, I'd pretty much enjoy breathing new life into an instrument, bringing it back from a perhaps unloved past into a decent cosmetic and good playing condition. Like restoring an old piece of furniture say...

Guest MoJo

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1399195878' post='2441877']
I'd kind of expect to apply a bit of elbow grease to something I'd picked up SO cheap. Sounds like a good score for a bass with nothing ACTUALLY wrong with it at all!
[/quote]
It was because it was so cheap that I was happy to accept it in that condition. The point I was making was that the listing didn't mention "stored in attic, requires some TLC". I am enjoying bringing it back to it's former glory and when the strings arrive, setting it up and playing it. It's so light and balances beautifully on the strap. I think this will be a long term love affair.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1399196982' post='2441893']
I am enjoying bringing it back to it's former glory and when the strings arrive, setting it up and playing it. It's so light and balances beautifully on the strap. I think this will be a long term love affair.
[/quote]

How about some 'before and after' pics?

Edited by discreet

Guest MoJo

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399196828' post='2441891']
Was there no pic of it on eBay? [size=4]Anyway it's just mojo, MoJo. *Sigh*[/size]
[/quote]

:lol: Pics were low quality and dark. I try to be as honest as possible in my listings and would have mentioned it's grubby appearance. Had it said required attention it wouldn't have put me off but it would have put a limit on how much I would have been prepared to bid

Guest MoJo

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399197062' post='2441894']

How about some 'before and after' pics?
[/quote]

I didn't take any 'before' pics unfortunately. As soon as I got it back, I started work on it. I wish I had now

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1399197497' post='2441905']
I didn't take any 'before' pics unfortunately. As soon as I got it back, I started work on it. I wish I had now
[/quote]

That's OK - just lend it to Lemmy for a month, then start again. ;)

Guest MoJo

[IMG]http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w614/markmojo1962/20140504_204318_zpseb953cbb.jpg[/IMG]

The body looked as though it had been refinished (poorly) at some point. I've spent most of the day flatting the orange peel finish down with 1500 grit then 2500 grit wet and dry followed by T-Cut, Turtle Wax and lots of elbow grease. It's got a decent shine to it now. I've replaced the cracked closed covers on the neck pickups with some open type covers I had lying around. I've ordered the matching cover for the bridge pick up. Starting to take shape

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1399246041' post='2442489']
When all is said and done you will have a nice bass that you have a real attachment too because you put in the work and it was still a bargain :-)
[/quote]

What he said...