Why become a member? ×

Change of gear

Thunderbird

Well I recently bought an active bass off the forum and I am loving it I am a Fender kind of guy and having tried shed loads of basses I always go back to my Fender P with light gauge strings but I have basically changed my whole setup I am now using standard gauge Rotosounds which I really like and hated before my new bass is active which again I tried before and hated . My Fender P is still easier to play due to being a shorter scale and the slightly different neck profile but yet I still like my other setup better and I have gone through the initial honeymoon period and still like the new set up (I normally know within a day or so if I am not going to get on with new gear) so I guess what I am trying to say is I am amazed at liking stuff I have tried before and hated maybe trying giving things a second chance is worth a go? what do you guys think ? ever had this happen to you?

I wonder if your OP will end up in the Basschat quotes thread in a few weeks when you decide you really prefer your P?? It seems that many try something different, like it for a short time and revert to their tried and tested P Bass (not me, I hate Fenders and love active basses).

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399028024' post='2440105']
Yes, it's happening to me now! I'm considering basses, techniques, amps and numbers of strings that I have always dismissed out of hand for the last thirty-odd years! Maybe it's the water, or cosmic rays or something..? :D
[/quote]
Time for a tin-foil hat :ph34r:

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1399034869' post='2440266']
I wonder if your OP will end up in the Basschat quotes thread in a few weeks when you decide you really prefer your P?? It seems that many try something different, like it for a short time and revert to their tried and tested P Bass (not me, [b]I hate Fenders and love active basses[/b]).
[/quote]

My Precision is both B)

Going back to the OP - I've had Hartke LH amps before and had a Laney NX115 before but not at the same time and not while I had this bass and I was never 100% happy when I had either. The combination of the Laney cabs, the Precision and the Hartke amp are perfect for me.

Thing is as well that I don't think my Precision, despite having EMGs and a 2 band EQ, sounds active at all.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1399034869' post='2440266']
I wonder if your OP will end up in the Basschat quotes thread in a few weeks when you decide you really prefer your P?? It seems that many try something different, like it for a short time and revert to their tried and tested P Bass (not me, I hate Fenders and love active basses).
[/quote] Don't get me wrong I really do love my P bass but I have been looking for the sound I am getting from my new active for so long and now I have found it :) my P bass will still be used a fair bit as I still think it is a great sounding and easy to play bass but I am loving all the new sounds and tones I can get from my new bass and I have come to the conclusion it is not a fad type of thing as I have been playing it solidly for the last few weeks and I normally know within a couple of days if it is a keeper bass or not :)

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1399025751' post='2440068']
Well I recently bought an active bass off the forum and I am loving it I am a Fender kind of guy and having tried shed loads of basses I always go back to my Fender P with light gauge strings but I have basically changed my whole setup I am now using standard gauge Rotosounds which I really like and hated before my new bass is active which again I tried before and hated . My Fender P is still easier to play due to being a shorter scale and the slightly different neck profile but yet I still like my other setup better and I have gone through the initial honeymoon period and still like the new set up (I normally know within a day or so if I am not going to get on with new gear) so I guess what I am trying to say is I am amazed at liking stuff I have tried before and hated maybe trying giving things a second chance is worth a go? what do you guys think ? ever had this happen to you?
[/quote]
It's called the universal constant of change....