Why become a member? ×

Bongo basses

JazzBassfreak

White Bongo basses are very rare due to the fact that they were only produced for about a year , from 2003-2004, the first year of production for the Bongo.

EBMM quickly discontinued that colour for the Bongo bass because they had a lot of technical problems getting the matt finish white paint on the neck to match the shade of gloss white paint on the body. So many basses had to be scrapped or refinished that they abandoned white as a colour for the Bongo completely , and Music Man C.E.O Sterling Ball has vowed that they would never make white ones ever again, such was the amount of trouble that colour on those basses caused before.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1398710146' post='2436855']
White Bongo basses are very rare due to the fact that they were only produced for about a year , from 2003-2004, the first year of production for the Bongo.

EBMM quickly discontinued that colour for the Bongo bass because they had a lot of technical problems getting the matt finish white paint on the neck to match the shade of gloss white paint on the body. So many basses had to be scrapped or refinished that they abandoned white as a colour for the Bongo completely , and Music Man C.E.O Sterling Ball has vowed that they would never make white ones ever again, such was the amount of trouble that colour on those basses caused before.
[/quote]

Shame, they look so awesome

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1398711984' post='2436886']
They must still do them on custom order (If you're a big enough name for EB to do custom orders for you) as Jay only seems to have had his for a few years at most. Before that it was a Stealth model, or a Sandberg.

Liam
[/quote]

EBMM flatly refuse to do custom orders for the general public though , only for their big-name endorsers, unfortunately.

There is a STUNNING Desert Gold one for sale on the Wirral, through UK Bass Gear North West on Faecesbook, chap called Geoff Davies.
Unfortunately he wants £999 for it, whilst quickly looking on here in the for sale they are consistently going for £650/£700.

White would be something VERY nice indeed, but thing is JBF, you would be looking for another one the week after you got it :lol:
I really do think you have terminal GAS fella! :rolleyes: Enjoy :P

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1398712443' post='2436897']
There is a STUNNING Desert Gold one for sale on the Wirral, through UK Bass Gear North West on Faecesbook, chap called Geoff Davies.
Unfortunately he wants £999 for it, whilst quickly looking on here in the for sale they are consistently going for £650/£700.

White would be something VERY nice indeed, but thing is JBF, you would be looking for another one the week after you got it :lol:
[/quote]

If it's a dual pup 4 or 5 string in top condition then £999 is reasonable. They are £1500-1800 now.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1398714650' post='2436940']
If it's a dual pup 4 or 5 string in top condition then £999 is reasonable. They are £1500-1800 now.
[/quote]

Old argument though, you put them out at you want, but they will sell at what the public want.
Too many folk don't do their research on what products are ACTUALLY selling at. It's a 4 string. There's a five on BC that's been up for months at £750 and not sold.
Virtually all the Bongo's that have SOLD on here in the last year or so have gone for £650/£700. There are 2 on FEEBay at around £1000 that have been advertised for months, and not sold.
It doesn't matter a toss how much they are new now, but this is an old argument. I like the look of Bongo's, a white one would look fabulous.
If the guy on the Wirral had his 2004 Desert Gold out at £750 I'd be on the way in the car now.

[/quote]

I have terminal GAS because I keep coming into spare money! Got to enjoy it before the bills come permanently flowing in. I only pay £200 rent a month ;)

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1398715259' post='2436950']

Old argument though, you put them out at you want, but they will sell at what the public want.
Too many folk don't do their research on what products are ACTUALLY selling at. It's a 4 string. There's a five on BC that's been up for months at £750 and not sold.
Virtually all the Bongo's that have SOLD on here in the last year or so have gone for £650/£700. There are 2 on FEEBay at around £1000 that have been advertised for months, and not sold.
It doesn't matter a toss how much they are new now, but this is an old argument. I like the look of Bongo's, a white one would look fabulous.
If the guy on the Wirral had his 2004 Desert Gold out at £750 I'd be on the way in the car now.
[/quote]

Well I've seen some 5 HHs go for £1200 second hand, especially the rare colours.

I wouldn't be desperate to sell at the BC crazy low prices. In the same way I wouldn't pay £800 for a JV Squier.

Edited by Musicman20

[/quote]

My first Musicman bass was a Bongo in that Desert gold finish. Dual 'bucker too, one of the best basses I've ever played. I ended up selling it and straight after doing so they discontinued the finish 😔

I guess one option would be to buy a used one and have it refinished, at least that way all you're restricted by when searching, is the pup config. Trouble is with Bongo basses, as I found out, used ones don't seem to appear very often. As for the pricing debate, when I was searching for my 4HS Stealth, the cheapest I could find anywhere in the UK was approx £1600 and would have had to wait for it to be built. Other option was Thomann who had one in stock at £1650, I spent what felt like days trawling through MM's euro dealer websites, but eventually got one for £1100 incl delivery from Holland. Ordered tuesday at 3pm, on my doorstep by 8am thursday! So they can be got cheaper, it just takes a bit of searching.

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1398759458' post='2437211']
I guess one option would be to buy a used one and have it refinished, at least that way all you're restricted by when searching, is the pup config. Trouble is with Bongo basses, as I found out, used ones don't seem to appear very often. As for the pricing debate, when I was searching for my 4HS Stealth, the cheapest I could find anywhere in the UK was approx £1600 and would have had to wait for it to be built. Other option was Thomann who had one in stock at £1650, I spent what felt like days trawling through MM's euro dealer websites, but eventually got one for £1100 incl delivery from Holland. Ordered tuesday at 3pm, on my doorstep by 8am thursday! So they can be got cheaper, it just takes a bit of searching.
[/quote]

Ay, and Promenade Music offer great new prices on them. The standard black ones and sapphire black are much more common in the UK, but thing like Sky Blue and Tangerine Pearl...well, there are barely any.

One of the best pre-amps I've ever played...in fact one of the best bass designs I've ever played.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1398760164' post='2437219']

Ay, and Promenade Music offer great new prices on them. The standard black ones and sapphire black are much more common in the UK, but thing like Sky Blue and Tangerine Pearl...well, there are barely any.

One of the best pre-amps I've ever played...in fact one of the best bass designs I've ever played.
[/quote]
I was looking at Bass Central's website before I ordered mine, they had some amazing Tangerine pearl ones, I also like that Dargie's Delight green they do. About as far from my Stealth black as you could get but really cool colours!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1398725052' post='2437080']

I wouldn't be desperate to sell at the BC crazy low prices. In the same way I wouldn't pay £800 for a JV Squier.
[/quote]

+1 and I guess those selling for such low prices are desperate for the cash. Btw isn't Squire an entry level line? £800 is balmy (IMHO)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1398732214' post='2437113']
I had a white Stingray for a while until I realised how much it looked like a toilet seat.
[/quote]

I wondered how long it'd be before someone said that......... But a white Stingray is of course a thing of great beauty in reality - the white ages (quite quickly) to a nice cream colour. Simple answer if have the lavatory mind disposition - take off the pickguard or have a transparent one!! And whatever you do don't have a P!! ;-)

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1398760164' post='2437219']
The standard black ones and sapphire black are much more common in the UK, but thing like Sky Blue and Tangerine Pearl...well, there are barely any.

[/quote]

Actually, standard black ones are quite rare. I have never seen another standard gloss black one in the U.K in the last ten years , except for mine and I had that one made to order in that colour. Strings And Things told me they can't remember any either. I have seen plenty of Sapphire Black ones and Stealth Black , though due to the fact that EBMM palmed a few off on S&T, and also plenty of ones in bright colours, although not in the Tangerine Pearl and Sky Blue you mention because they were only introduced in the last two or three years, and most of the Bongos circulating in the U.K are from not long after when the Bongo came out in 2003 when they were a new model . Your basses were a custom order Gareth, and so you could choose the newer colours. For my taste, the problem with some of the ones in flamboyant colours is that for me, the novelty wears off pretty quickly. I like black, white or red. You are, of course, at liberty to like whatever tickles your own fancy. :rolleyes:

Yes, the Bongo preamp is superb, very well voiced and central to the sound of those basses. I use my Bongo as my modern, hi-fi active bass and, despite being a creation of the post-Millienium era , it is particularly good for reliving my youth in the 1980's and slapping, popping and totally over-the-top fingerstyle playing are handled with aplomb by the Bongo. It's super- powerful and upfront sound really suits that kind of a style. I love the way all the notes in every register ring out really evenly on the Bongo, too. They are just great basses all-round , in my opinion. It also helps that they are much lighter in weight than most other Music Man basses.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1398773148' post='2437414']
Actually, standard black ones are quite rare. I have never seen another standard gloss black one in the U.K in the last ten years , except for mine and I had that one made to order in that colour. Strings And Things told me they can't remember any either. I have seen plenty of Sapphire Black ones and Stealth Black , though due to the fact that EBMM palmed a few off on S&T, and also plenty of ones in bright colours, although not in the Tangerine Pearl and Sky Blue you mention because they were only introduced in the last two or three years, and most of the Bongos circulating in the U.K are from not long after when the Bongo came out in 2003 when they were a new model . Your basses were a custom order Gareth, and so you could choose the newer colours. For my taste, the problem with some of the ones in flamboyant colours is that for me, the novelty wears off pretty quickly. I like black, white or red. You are, of course, at liberty to like whatever tickles your own fancy. :rolleyes:

Yes, the Bongo preamp is superb, very well voiced and central to the sound of those basses. I use my Bongo as my modern, hi-fi active bass and, despite being a creation of the post-Millienium era , it is particularly good for reliving my youth in the 1980's and slapping, popping and totally over-the-top fingerstyle playing are handled with aplomb by the Bongo. It's super- powerful and upfront sound really suits that kind of a style. I love the way all the notes in every register ring out really evenly on the Bongo, too. They are just great basses all-round , in my opinion. It also helps that they are much lighter in weight than most other Music Man basses.
[/quote]

Actually, you are right on the gloss black! I've not ever seen one...ok maybe one on ebay a few years back, but the rest have been sapphire black or the egyptian smoke from a few years back. Ultimately that means your bass is also rare in the UK.

The bright colours are definitely in your face...more so the Tang Pearl, but I love how it looks on the rather modern and bizarre Bongo shape.

it is particularly good for reliving my youth in the 1980's and slapping, popping and totally over-the-top fingerstyle playing are handled with aplomb by the Bongo.
[/quote]

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who does this, Dingus! I've also only ever seen about half a dozen Bongos in real life and certainly not a black or white one.

They're a great bass and really have the potential to become quite iconic IMO owing to rarity, how good they are - and they must be one of the most memorable bass creations of the last two or three decades.

Edited by drTStingray

Even as a complete noob and tosser, I can recognise the power that is in the Bongo, and I think that that should tell something. You don't need advanced, experienced bass ears for it.

I remember noticing two drawbacks to its design, one of which I can't remember right now (I see some bog seat remarks coming in), and the other being that it does not sit nicely on your lap.
I've decided to live with that.

For my taste, the problem with some of the ones in flamboyant colours is that for me, the novelty wears off pretty quickly.
[/quote]

Good point, and one that one might easily overlook in phases of GAS.
For me personally, them colours on them designs scream happy to me, and I like that sooo much more than a sunburst P.

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1398763936' post='2437264']
I also like that Dargie's Delight green they do.
[/quote]

Just some pedantry so no-one gets confused: Dargie Delight green they [b]did[/b].
See, both Dargie Delights were lim.ed. runs that dealers had to pre-order, in 2006 and 2009 respectively.

Ah, I didn't realise they were ltd ed. I just saw a few MM's in that finish on bass Central's website when I was searching. Must admit I'm tempted to see if they've got any cool finish Stingrays in stock when I head to the states later in the year!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1398781177' post='2437529']
It's also worth pointing out that new prices have risen, new financial year etc. Prices I was quoted a month or two back are now no longer valid...which is just how it is I guess!
[/quote]

Seeing this a lot with Fender, every year. For example, somebody bought an American Precision for £649 in 1996. You then see it here/Feebay whatever at £900 now. You can get a perfect 1 or 2 year old P for around £700!
Very unlikely the 96 is going to sell. Google can be your friend, or not.
The one that stuck out most to me a year or so back was people trying to sell Millers at £800 because the last of the Japanese ones had gone up to £1050. They weren't £1050 when they bought them 10 years before. Then they wonder why they don't sell.
Oh, and still hoping for the chap on The Wirral to reduce his Desert Gold Bongo :gas:

Edited by karlfer