Why become a member? ×

Sharing My Joy (OLP MM2, Nordstrand, John East Content)

acidbass

OH MY WORD!

Bought an OLP MM2 4 string bass on a whim on eBay (got it for a song) as I have a session gig coming up with 14pc funk orchestra. Read a little about the Nordstrand MM4.2 pickup and the John East MMSR 2 Band EQ so thought I'd buy the whole lot blind and see what it sounded like.

Well - MY WORD.

I cannot get over how great this bass sounds now. Installed the whole lot and it just punches and growls. Perfect MM tone with a slight attenuation in the mid highs - I think this is due to both the Nordy and JE being modelled on the late 70s Stingray sound as opposed to a more modern tone. I'm a huge fan of Bernard Edwards and John Glascock and this bass can mimic them pretty closely (playing aside of course!) With the controls maxed it sounds just like Flea from the Blood Sugar era, loads of musical top end! And with the treble slightly down, it reminds me of Bernard Edwards on 'We Are Family' - just enough treble for the slap lick in the chorus with a nice warmth for the verse fingerstyle playing. I am a long-time lover of flats but I put a set of SIT 45-100 nickel rounds on this and it just sounds superb. I think I will keep rounds on this bass - it'll be my only one without flatwounds.

Just thought I'd share my joy! Well chuffed taking a gamble on a bass and mods without hearing it before - it really works!

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1397347888' post='2423144']
Huzzah !

We need pictures, of course.
[/quote][quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1397384557' post='2423351']

This is essential.
[/quote]Otherwise it never happened ;)

Great that you like it acidbass.

I will contribute to the OLP-love. This is my OLP Redburst with a Seymour Duncan Basslines humbucker:

I bought the bass with the intention of selling the humbucker and modding it with another pick up but after playing it for a short time, I fell in love with the sound and playability of the OLP. It is a passive bass (humbucker straight to the jack in parallel-mode) and therefore does not sound so aggressive as a real Stingray. I bought a clone of a 2-bands pre-amp and put it in a stompbox between the OLP and my amp. The sound was definetely more the Stingray-sound but I liked it better in passive mode. So, I sold the pre-amp and lived happily everafter...

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1398682167' post='2436423']
That OLP bass looks great
I've heard people say OLP's are brilliant
Much better than the SUB series

If they really are as good as people say
.....I want one :)
[/quote]

There is a used one in Regent Sounds (I think that was the place) on Denmark St going for £160. I tried it at the weekend and whilst the strings were completely dead it played nicely enough.

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1398682167' post='2436423'] That OLP bass looks great I've heard people say OLP's are brilliant Much better than the SUB series If they really are as good as people say .....I want one :) [/quote]

If you're talking about the Asian "Sterling by MusicMan SUB" series... maybe. I'd say they're not too far off. The OLPs were a nice basis for a cool bass, but it needed upgrades. I was a big OLP fan, owned 4 of the things and still own one. But they needed a decent pickup at the very very least. Some were great basses, other dogs. Quite variable.

If you're talking about the USA Ernie Ball MusicMan SUB series, just no. The SUB is way ahead the OLPs in every respect.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1398729851' post='2437107']
If you're talking about the Asian "Sterling by MusicMan SUB" series... maybe. I'd say they're not too far off. The OLPs were a nice basis for a cool bass, but it needed upgrades. I was a big OLP fan, owned 4 of the things and still own one. But they needed a decent pickup at the very very least. Some were great basses, other dogs. Quite variable.

If you're talking about the USA Ernie Ball MusicMan SUB series, just no. The SUB is way ahead the OLPs in every respect.
[/quote]

Mmmmmm. The SUB is a really great bass but I have an MM3 (5 string OLP) in cherryburst and matching cherryburst headstock as well as a US SUB.

I agree that the US SUB is a higher quality bass, but the OLP is not to be sniffed at. Mine is superbly made and sounds fantastic with excellent playability. Built like a tank too.

I would say to anyone thinking about buying one - go ahead. You won't be disappointed. :)

Happy new bass acidbass. Glad you found one you like.

Frank.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1398729851' post='2437107']
The OLPs were a nice basis for a cool bass, but it needed upgrades. I was a big OLP fan, owned 4 of the things and still own one. But they needed a decent pickup at the very very least. Some were great basses, other dogs. Quite variable.
[/quote]
I have to agree on all points. Upgrades: yes, pick up and pots could defenitely use an upgrade. Variability: o yeah. I have another OLP in the same colour setting and it doesn't play half as good as the other one.
As always: try before you buy.

Yeah, my very first OLP was a truly outstanding bass. That one I had upgraded with Basslines pickup and preamp, and it was beautiful, great to play (I had the fingerboard edges rolled a bit too), and sounded incredible. I sold it in a moment of madness. My second OLP was a veritable dog that I bought untested on the strength of the first. I bought two more afterwards that were very good. One I turned to fretless (sold now), and another one... is the one I still own. It's my Stingray for the situations where I might not want to take my Stingray or SUB... SD SMB4A pickup, a 2-band Stingray preamp clone, and very well setup. It's got bumps and scratches, but it sounds great and it's indestructible :) Black with black pickguard and maple neck/fingerboard. Yum.