Why become a member? ×

Bass players slapping

blamelouis

[quote name='Golchen' post='341682' date='Dec 1 2008, 10:18 AM']Personally I'm amazed at the amount of slap hate shown here. All this time I thought that I was escaping the guitarist 'contempt for other guitarists' syndrome by coming to a positive and engaging community, but I guess that it's a case of same poison, different bottle. There are opinions and there are blatantly negative and destructive statements, and both are alive and kicking at Basschat.[/quote]

+100 Couldn't agree more..... what about those twats that play bass with a pick???? Let's have a go at them!!! :)

[quote name='Golchen' post='341682' date='Dec 1 2008, 10:18 AM']Personally I'm amazed at the amount of slap hate shown here. All this time I thought that I was escaping the guitarist 'contempt for other guitarists' syndrome by coming to a positive and engaging community, but I guess that it's a case of same poison, different bottle. There are opinions and there are blatantly negative and destructive statements, and both are alive and kicking at Basschat.[/quote]

Since when has there been anything wrong with hating something?

I hate all this "hate is a very strong word" horse-sh*t.

Strickly Come Dancing - I f***ing hate that. Its not that I don't appreciate it, its not that I don't understand it, I just f***ing hate it!

Like Mark King. His slapping has become a self parody. When I hear non-disco slap, I think its a piss take. Now, if you think Hi-Techs are de rigeur, then you probably enjoy it. I'm more than happy for people to love something that I hate.

Marcus, as for me slapping like Mark "cock-chops" King, I can't slap a note. I've never had the need or desire too. I can appreciate how clever it is. I can appreciate the time that has gone into it. But for me, its like those fellas who can fit a 2litre coke bottle up their arse - an impressive party trick but not something I'd want to do myself.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='341699' date='Dec 1 2008, 10:40 AM']Since when has there been anything wrong with hating something?

its like those fellas who can fit a 2litre coke bottle up their arse - an impressive party trick but not something I'd want to do myself.[/quote]

Don't knock it 'till you've tried it!!! :)

It's alright - there are plenty of people who like and play slap on here. No need to go anywhere else. There's a valid point about tasteless playing, ie. playing something that doesn't sound good in context.

I slapped the hell out of my bass on Saturday night at a 3-hour gig in front of random punters. I got nothing but compliments. But when we threw in a couple of blues tunes did I slap a single note? No. That would make me throw up.

+1..

For christ sake its just another style.
Fingers , Pick, Palm Mute, your cock...
Does it really matter?

I think this Post needs to be in the 'Recycling Unwanted Items' Postings. :)
Or at least rename this one 'General Bass Ballshit'

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='341734' date='Dec 1 2008, 11:25 AM']+1..

For christ sake its just another style.
Fingers , Pick, Palm Mute, your cock...
Does it really matter?

I think this Post needs to be in the 'Recycling Unwanted Items' Postings. :)
Or at least rename this one 'General Bass Ballshit'

Garry[/quote]

I don't know why you lot give such a sh*t about it. Its just chatting sh*t. I know I'm a role model to many, but I seriously don't expect my comments about Mark King to have any effect on anything. I don't like slap, others do. The world moves on. If you're so bored by these discussions, move on a let it die a death.

People throwing their toys out of the pram because not all of us are Mark King fans make it sound like BassChatters are supporting apartheid. They're not, they just don't like slap!

Edited by BigBeefChief

[quote name='The Funk' post='341728' date='Dec 1 2008, 12:19 PM']It's alright - there are plenty of people who like and play slap on here. No need to go anywhere else. There's a valid point about tasteless playing, ie. playing something that doesn't sound good in context.

I slapped the hell out of my bass on Saturday night at a 3-hour gig in front of random punters. I got nothing but compliments. But when we threw in a couple of blues tunes did I slap a single note? No. That would make me throw up.[/quote]

But...

It is all about the musician aint it? If the musician feels this is how they want to play it, I say let 'em! Slapping in itself aint anoying, just another way to hit the strings, but it is frantic popping that can become anoying and ruin a song, You can safely slap root 8notes in a pop punk song, just as you can use your fingers or pick, but once you start popping it will sound wrong (Or will it? You never know before you try..)

Where would we be today if people had always played what was "correct" for the time being?

[quote name='Thunder Fingers' post='341747' date='Dec 1 2008, 11:34 AM']But...

It is all about the musician aint it? If the musician feels this is how they want to play it, I say let 'em!

[...]

Where would we be today if people had always played what was "correct" for the time being?[/quote]

I agree with your philosophy. But I prefer not to slap on blues songs, not because anyone would disapprove - it's my band so I can do what I like - but because when I play blues I really try to support the singer, guitarist or keyboard player depending on who's soloing by i) not getting in the way or drawing attention away from them, and ii) building or dropping intensity behind them.

I don't approach every song as an opportunity to show off. I think a lot of the time that attitude can be a mistake.

[quote]It seems like most people in this thread agree that there's a time and a place for slap bass - noone's trying to force anyone else to stop and noone's trying to force people who don't like it to listen to it.[/quote]
By and large that seems to be the consensus - which is as it should be.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='341784' date='Dec 1 2008, 12:08 PM']Same ol'd BassChat - people pretending to be upset or insulted.[/quote]

Thats why i said Recycle post..[ not boredom ]
+ the fact this topic has been roaring all over the world for Donkeys years,
Or at least since Crockett and Tubbs rolled up there jacket sleeves.

Garry

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='341741' date='Dec 1 2008, 11:31 AM']I don't know why you lot give such a sh*t about it. Its just chatting sh*t. I know I'm a role model to many, but I seriously don't expect my comments about Mark King to have any effect on anything. I don't like slap, others do. The world moves on. If you're so bored by these discussions, move on a let it die a death.

People throwing their toys out of the pram because not all of us are Mark King fans make it sound like BassChatters are supporting apartheid. They're not, they just don't like slap![/quote]

+1

It's just people chatting and talking sh*t about bass. I don't hate slapping or even care about it much at all. If people want to do it it's up to them it doesn't mean others can't say what they think.

[quote name='geilerbass' post='239501' date='Jul 14 2008, 07:42 PM']:)

No, it was the guy at college that I used for an example of unnecessary slapping. Truegeminis was also in my class and clearly knows who I'm talking about.

I think Stuart Clayton might actually be on this forum - which should hopefully mean he hasn't turned to the darkside :huh:[/quote]

I will never turn to the dark side!! Bass all the way!

Stu

If i could do it well i would slap more, more than i do my Girlfriend anyway :-0

Seriously, I have a great admiration for slapper's and i really do wish i could do it well.
Maybe its because I associate it with dance and groove from the past. I like to see people dancing at our gigs and i'll play anything to get them to do it.

Edited by dave_bass5

As the original starter of this thread i have a confession to make ! :huh:

Last week on a gig we played "come together" and i copped Marcus's licks and "SLAPPED" the whole song !!! :huh: :huh:

I know ,i know at LEAST twelve Hail Marys and four Our Fathers and promise not to sin again/
I did feel dirty but it felt great! :)