Why become a member? ×

very very small rigs

fifeq

hi! i have at the moment fender bassman 250/115 which is already smaller that many rigs but due to not having the car im thinking about downsizing it. most of gigs we play dont need huge amp as they are small or the sound is going through PA. i was thinki is there somethng like fender deluxe combo but for the bass basically i have my tone from PD7+sansamp. was thinking about getting some small 2x10 or 1x12. i have crate powerblock which i could use for while, and then get LMII for example.
dont have much funds but i could swop sell :
-sansamp programmable
-fender basssman 250/115
what you guys thinking? it doesn't need to be very light but very small. would prefer some vintage look too.
cheers!

+1 for the baby blue. One of the nicest sounding, tastiest looking little combos out there. I had looked at this for myself but the 120 watts just wouldn't cut it in my rock band without PA support.

Markbass combos are defo worth a look. Small, light & loud & sound brilliant too. I got the 210 but it isn't exactly small, but then it's about the same size as 1/2 a 1/2 stack! :huh: & it weighs in at 20 kgs :)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='238389' date='Jul 13 2008, 11:00 AM']Aguilar DB112s - come in green, tweed and brown as well as black and silver.

Mark Bass are a bit yellow :)

Genz Benz Shuttles are tiny.[/quote]

EA iAmp combo's are very tiny, and very good.

My 6p - Markbass, but then as mentioned they are very yellow and not the cheapest of amps.

My CMD121H combo is small, light and loud (very, I often get told to turn down at r/h when I am only at 9 o'clock). Sounds good too.

For small rock gigs it handles itself admirably. Larger gigs it has PA support.

Not exactly answering the OP, but in keeping with this thread, I can't help thinking that there's a cab-building opportunity out there.

As I see it, the LMIIs, F1s & Shuttles are great & increasingly popular. However, for cafe/rehearsal/practice rigs, I think a single speaker cab, in similar proportions to these new micro amps could be made.

I look at my Shuttle, and think that I'd really like a cab that is not much wider than it's 10" case, that has feet recesses for the amp to snuggly fit in to on the top, and comes with side grab handles. So I guess that means an 8" speaker, which I suppose I'll get the response from my fellow BC'ers that that is not going to deliver much.

Oh, well, I can dream. -_-

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='239360' date='Jul 14 2008, 05:42 PM']As I see it, the LMIIs, F1s & Shuttles are great & increasingly popular. However, for cafe/rehearsal/practice rigs, I think a single speaker cab, in similar proportions to these new micro amps could be made.[/quote]

It makes more sense to make a speaker cab light than try and make it that ridiculously small. The only tiny cab that delivers decent bottom is the Acme Low-B1 and it does so because of having a very unusual woofer and unique design. I've looked at the majority of 8" and 10" speakers available to the DIYer and in my opinion none fare that well. Those that do ok cost far more than I can see most people spending on such a small cab.

Alex

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='239360' date='Jul 14 2008, 05:42 PM']Not exactly answering the OP, but in keeping with this thread, I can't help thinking that there's a cab-building opportunity out there.

As I see it, the LMIIs, F1s & Shuttles are great & increasingly popular. However, for cafe/rehearsal/practice rigs, I think a single speaker cab, in similar proportions to these new micro amps could be made.

I look at my Shuttle, and think that I'd really like a cab that is not much wider than it's 10" case, that has feet recesses for the amp to snuggly fit in to on the top, and comes with side grab handles. So I guess that means an 8" speaker, which I suppose I'll get the response from my fellow BC'ers that that is not going to deliver much.

Oh, well, I can dream. -_-[/quote]

I wasnt sure if you were being ironic here but...
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=350078510629&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=022"]Shuttle Combo[/url]

[quote name='alexclaber' post='239429' date='Jul 14 2008, 07:18 PM']It makes more sense to make a speaker cab light than try and make it that ridiculously small. The only tiny cab that delivers decent bottom is the Acme Low-B1 and it does so because of having a very unusual woofer and unique design.[/quote]

I have the Acme B1 and it does go very low and can take 200-300 watts without distorting. (I run an Eden WTX-260 into it). It's fine for some gigs but I'd never want to try to use that in a band with two guitarists using full stacks. I'm willing to give it a go at some mid-sized venues with a full band and PA support to see how it can cope.

For it to be worthwhile, it has to be better than the Gallien-Krueger MB150S, which is a sturdy little performer. Drive that too hard and it will distort though - and you'll never get that much in terms of the low end or high end. Another good little combo is the SWR Baby Blue. Fantastic tone. I'd love to compare the three in a full-on shoot-out.

Aguilar do a little cab id like very much to hear, i think its 2 8" speakers and a 5" one or something like that?

Edit:- Here we are! [url="http://www.aguilaramp.com/products_cabinets_db285jc.htm"]Little Aggie[/url]

Edited by ste_m3

[quote name='ste_m3' post='239690' date='Jul 15 2008, 12:41 AM']Aguilar do a little cab id like very much to hear, i think its 2 8" speakers and a 5" one or something like that?

Edit:- Here we are! [url="http://www.aguilaramp.com/products_cabinets_db285jc.htm"]Little Aggie[/url][/quote]

It's pretty big for a 2x8 though - there are 2x10s smaller than that.

Andy

[quote name='fifeq' post='238295' date='Jul 13 2008, 01:16 AM']hi! i have at the moment fender bassman 250/115 which is already smaller that many rigs but due to not having the car im thinking about downsizing it. most of gigs we play dont need huge amp as they are small or the sound is going through PA. i was thinking is there something like fender deluxe combo but for the bass basically i have my tone from PD7+sansamp. was thinking about getting some small 2x10 or 1x12. i have crate powerblock which i could use for while, and then get LMII for example.
don't have much funds but i could swop sell :
-sansamp programmable
-fender basssman 250/115
what you guys thinking? it doesn't need to be very light but very small. would prefer some vintage look too.
cheers![/quote]

Can you not do what i do and just leave your rig with one of the other band members who does have a car?

Just a thought.

A Schroeder mini 12 might be a good cab to look at. small but loud (500 watts) when partnered with something like a LMII at 4ohms.

Or maybe a Ashdown 1x12 of some sort, the MAG being the cheapest. The combos are quite small (well, not very deep) and i used one for about a year without PA support and it served me well. Dirt cheap as well.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='239910' date='Jul 15 2008, 12:08 PM']Or maybe a Ashdown 1x12 of some sort, the MAG being the cheapest. The combos are quite small (well, not very deep) and i used one for about a year without PA support and it served me well. Dirt cheap as well.[/quote]

I'm very happy with my Ashdown Electric Blue combo. It's got a 1x12 and you can hook up an external cabinet to get the full 180W. It's a steal at <£200. Looking at the statistics, it's not much smaller or lighter than the Bassman 250/115 so perhaps it's not the ideal combo for the OP.

S.P.

Edited by stylonpilson

[quote name='stylonpilson' post='239919' date='Jul 15 2008, 12:20 PM']I'm very happy with my Ashdown Electric Blue combo. It's got a 1x12 and you can hook up an external cabinet to get the full 180W. It's a steal at <£200. Looking at the statistics, it's not much smaller or lighter than the Bassman 250/115 so perhaps it's not the ideal combo for the OP.

S.P.[/quote]

Ah right, to be honest i dont know what a Bassman 250/115 looks like (and dont want to so no pics please;-)

I started with a EB and found it was a nice combo, just slightly under powered for some of my gigs. I found i would push it quite hard. The MAG gave me a bit more headroom.