Why become a member? ×

Jaqueline Du Pre.

ambient

Not bass I know, but how amazing was this lady, and how sad was the later part of her life ?

I've been listening to a lot of classical music recently, cello music particularly.

I've got scores for this and a few others, that I've been playing through. I don't think people realise how much you can learn from playing this sort of music on bass. Cello's are tuned in 5th's not 4th's, so some of the fingerings can be awkward. Also its lowest note is a low C on a 5 or 6 string bass.

Bach's cello suites are amazing, and a real workout when played on bass, as is this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUgdbqt2ON0

Edited by icastle
Link fixed

She was a true virtuoso, an incredible talent.

I cannot help but think, though, that Victor Wooten could do a better solo version with his double thump /palm mute technique. Maybe Steve Bailey could play six string fretless on top of that and make it even better.

Edited by Dingus

My other 'arf is a cellist so I'm used to hear her music drifting through the house. Her Elgar Cello Concerto ('67) is perhaps what she is most famous for and most Cellists seem to feel 'unworthy' to try to better it.

There's a lot to learn from all kinds of music - I was listening to Mozart's Harp and Flute concerto this morning... amazing :)

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1395518866' post='2403378']
My other 'arf is a cellist so I'm used to hear her music drifting through the house. Her Elgar Cello Concerto ('67) is perhaps what she is most famous for and most Cellists seem to feel 'unworthy' to try to better it.
[/quote]

That's very cool, there's 2 string players in the flat downstairs and they occasionally have other players round for practice. They usually practice short sections but when they play full pieces, alone or as a group they're incredibly good. I sometimes just put a wildlife documentary on TV, mute it and listen to them play. Makes me embarrassed to play my trumpet in my room as I'm terrible!

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1395502406' post='2403134']
She was a true virtuoso, an incredible talent.

I cannot help but think, though, that Victor Wooten could do a better solo version with his double thump /palm mute technique. Maybe Steve Bailey could play six string fretless on top of that and make it even better.
[/quote]your kidding me right.? i dig your opinion most of the time Dingus. but in my opinion, , you are way off the mark. sorry. this is, what it is.

although bass is what we love, some music should not be touched.. i couldn't think of anything worse than Victor Wooten double thumbing through this piece of music?. and Steve Bailey on a fretless. :o i would rather take a sh*t on a Rembrant. I'm not being snotty, but i think electric bass doesn't work for everything.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1395542245' post='2403565']
your kidding me right.? i dig your opinion most of the time Dingus. but in my opinion, , you are way off the mark. sorry. this is, what it is.

although bass is what we love, some music should not be touched.. i couldn't think of anything worse than Victor Wooten double thumbing through this piece of music?. and Steve Bailey on a fretless. :o i would rather take a sh*t on a Rembrant. I'm not being snotty, but i think electric bass doesn't work for everything.
[/quote]

Go look up sarcasm... I think Dingus is agreeing with you.

I am indeed having a bit of fun at Vic and Steve's expense, despite the fact that they are both very good at what they do, if you like that kind of thing, ect.

However, joking aside, the naked fact is that the level of virtuosity of a musician like Jaqueline Du Pre is completely beyond the reach and comprehension of almost all the so-called virtuoso exponents of the bass guitar . Players of her stature make most of the jokers who grace the front covers of guitar magazines look like the flimsy pretenders that they are.

What sets Jaqueline Du Pre apart from them is the amazing and awe-inspiring depth of feeling and personal expression in her playing. Yes she has flawless technique, but like the very best musicians, you are never aware of it, because as a listener you are captivated by the emotion of the music she creates. It takes God-given talent plus a lifetime of dedication, study and practise to make everything seem so natural and effortless.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1395598947' post='2404180']
I am indeed having a bit of fun at Vic and Steve's expense, despite the fact that they are both very good at what they do, if you like that kind of thing, ect.

However, joking aside, the naked fact is that the level of virtuosity of a musician like Jaqueline Du Pre is completely beyond the reach and comprehension of almost all the so-called virtuoso exponents of the bass guitar . Players of her stature make most of the jokers who grace the front covers of guitar magazines look like the flimsy pretenders that they are.

What sets Jaqueline Du Pre apart from them is the amazing and awe-inspiring depth of feeling and personal expression in her playing. Yes she has flawless technique, but like the very best musicians, you are never aware of it, because as a listener you are captivated by the emotion of the music she creates. It takes God-given talent plus a lifetime of dedication, study and practise to make everything seem so natural and effortless.
[/quote]

:)

Totally agree 100%.

I haven't heard that for a while and had forgotten what a truly magnificent performance it was. Thanks for sharing Ambient.

If I may be so bold, another great piece of cello music - one that has been 'done' by a number of virtuoso bass players but here in it's original form (as played by another of the giants of the instrument):

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU_QR_FTt3E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU_QR_FTt3E[/url]

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1395648410' post='2404577']
I haven't heard that for a while and had forgotten what a truly magnificent performance it was. Thanks for sharing Ambient.

If I may be so bold, another great piece of cello music - one that has been 'done' by a number of virtuoso bass players but here in it's original form (as played by another of the giants of the instrument):

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU_QR_FTt3E[/media]
[/quote]

I've got the CD of that. Brilliant, nice to see it being played too :) , thanks for the link.

By the way, there's a load of cello scores here if anyone fancies playing some of this music.

[url="http://www.score-on-line.com/freescores.php?collection=cello"]http://www.score-on-line.com/freescores.php?collection=cello[/url]

As a 'Cellist myself I have to say that there's not much to touch JDP's '67 Elgar, except perhaps Natalie Klein's performance that she won BBC young musician of the year with. Both players of effortless technical ability but with a rare ability to 'connect' with the listener. Elgar's gift (most especially) to the British 'Cellist.

...and not forgetting the Dvorak Concerto, so distinctively Russian. Rostropovich made it his own.

....and then there's the Schubert Quintet in C Major (2 'Cello's).....the list goes on.

I'm learning Evenflow -Pearl Jam atm, great track, but wondering whether that will still be popular in 100 years time??

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1395499803' post='2403098']
Cello's are tuned in 5th's not 4th's, so some of the fingerings can be awkward. Also its lowest note is a low C on a 5 or 6 string bass.
[/quote]

[pedant alert]

Surely it's C an octave above that - i.e. third fret A string on a standard four-string bass - usually called C2 whereas low C on a five-string would be C1.

[/pedant alert]

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1395707304' post='2405460']
I kind of meant on a score, so you can play cello music without having to transpose the notation up, assuming you have a low B.
[/quote]

You can play what's written, but on the Bass Gtr/ Double Bass it will sound an Octave lower.
If you want to play that particular piece in the same register as the Cello,
you would have to play your Bass part up an Octave.

For chart reading purposes, The Cello sounds as written, Bass sounds an octave lower
Than written.

I think that's what you are saying.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1395528816' post='2403495']
That's very cool, there's 2 string players in the flat downstairs and they occasionally have other players round for practice. They usually practice short sections but when they play full pieces, alone or as a group they're incredibly good. I sometimes just put a wildlife documentary on TV, mute it and listen to them play. Makes me embarrassed to play my trumpet in my room as I'm terrible!
[/quote]

You should switch to trombone.
That way your neighbours will just think you have an elephant as a pet.

My neighbours think I have one, and that I torture it. I expect RSPCA to show up any day. :lol: