Why become a member? ×

Budget 5s Tanglewaters?

steviedee

Hi I'm toying with the idea of getting another 5 strings I sold my last one an SR5 a while back. I'm swithering between the expensive and the budget. I looked at a secondhand ATK 350 with upgraded Bassculture pups for under £300 but keep seeing Overwater/Tanglewood basses really cheap. I quite the look if the Contemporary J 5 and the Aspiration Elite. Coming in at £345 and £399. They seem to be very inexpensive for what you get.

Anyone got any opinions I don't play a 5 string much but want something which is nice to play and usable.

My stingray was very heavy that's why I got rid of it, however, I'm less troubled by weight as it's just for messing about in the house and recording. I thought the Contemporary Jazz basses looked excellent and the Aspiration Elites look nice as well. Just wondering why they are so cheap!

Buy a better quality used 5 string. A German Warwick Corvette Proline went for £417 on ebay the other day. Ok it was purple but still looked stunning with the flamed maple top.

Heres the link... [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251467693178?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649"]http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649[/url]

I know what I'd choose. Even if it was purple.

Edited by adam87

Don't underestimate the quality of the Tanglewaters. A lot of people who own one of those and the British-made Overwaters tend to say there's not a lot between them. My Contemporary J4 is better than every MIM Fender I've played and most MIA Fender (there have been two MIAs that have been better sounding/playing). Sadly I've only had a chance to play a Rockbass and not a German made Warwick so can't compare to those. Maybe someone who's played both can say of there's a big difference between them.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1394929125' post='2396908']
Don't underestimate the quality of the Tanglewaters. A lot of people who own one of those and the British-made Overwaters tend to say there's not a lot between them. My Contemporary J4 is better than every MIM Fender I've played and most MIA Fender (there have been two MIAs that have been better sounding/playing). Sadly I've only had a chance to play a Rockbass and not a German made Warwick so can't compare to those. Maybe someone who's played both can say of there's a big difference between them.
[/quote]

I'm not underestimating them, I started on a Tanglewood Rebel 4k and it was a cool bass. But if I was to spend 400 on a new bass for myself I'd definitely make sure I've searched all the second hand markets in case of a bargain. There was a J5 for sale on here a while ago too. I also really like the look of them and would even buy one at the right price.

Edited by adam87

The Warwicks look nice I had a loan of one one many moons ago and I remember it being a good bass. I'm really looking at up to £400 so that's why the Overwater/Tanglewoods seem interesting and current deals on brand new ones seem to be quite good. Though I know they plummet in value. But the Elites and the Js have a fair whack off them at the moment.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1394929125' post='2396908']
Don't underestimate the quality of the Tanglewaters. A lot of people who own one of those and the British-made Overwaters tend to say there's not a lot between them. My Contemporary J4 is better than every MIM Fender I've played and most MIA Fender (there have been two MIAs that have been better sounding/playing).
[/quote]

Totally agree with this - the dividing line between the Tanglewaters and the custom jobs is very fine. I've got a custom made J5 and having tried out a Tanglewater version of it, it sounds very much like the custom. Yes, the Tanglewater is a bit heavier, but you're getting a great bass for the money IMO.

Edited by louisthebass

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1394930577' post='2396918'] I've got a custom made J5 and having tried out a Tanglewater version of it, it sounds very much like the custom. Yes, the Tanglewater is a bit heavier, but you're getting a great bass for the money IMO.
[/quote]

Cheers Louis that's good to know. I wonder if they would they would be more popular if they weren't a offshoot of an iconic British brand? I just think I can nip down the local music shop and get one for under 400 and sneak it into the collection and no-one is any the wiser!

Crikey my local store nevada has the contemporary J 4 up for £521! I thought the RRP was much lower than £580. Shows how much I know! :rolleyes:

Your local store must be the one with the big sale on as they have the J 4 for £329! That is a good saving isn't it!!

Edited by adam87

Loving the candy apple red Jazz on sale there too!

Out of the two you were looking at I'd choose the 399 one. Nearly half price!

I'd actually buy that if I had the money. The wording says bolt on but picture is a thru neck. Which is it?

Edited by adam87

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1394955109' post='2396980']
[attachment=157697:STB-GT5_SBK_0003.jpg] I just found one of these, secondhand with a gigbag for £100. I put in a Delano pickup and a Sabre style pre and it's very good value
[/quote]

Hi rubis what is it?

[quote name='MikanHannille' timestamp='1394958535' post='2396994']
I believe it's an Aria? Not sure though. I remember seeing a similar one here for sale. Colour was blue and is a 4 string one.
[/quote]

That was my Aria GT 4. I don't know how common the fives are but £100 would be a good price IMO.

Edited by alyctes