Why become a member? ×

Steve Harris' bass has no logo.....

MarkG3

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1395007391' post='2397770']
Was it really that long ago?!?!?!?! :o
[/quote]

Yep, 5th of July 2008. I remember it well as I played a gig that same day. Open air gig. Finished my set, threw my bass and my amp in to my guitarists car then hopped on the train with 2 friends down to London to see the mighty Maiden. One of the best days of my life

Rode down to the Bol d'or 24hr in '91. On arrival on the Friday afternoon, I bought my weekend ticket, pitched the tent, and settled down to read through the weekend's events.
Live music Sat night...Tidy ! Head line act, Iron Maiden. .....??....[size=4].???.........WHAAAAAH !! [/size] :biggrin: :D :biggrin:

Edited by Turk

Makes me wonder why we spend thousands on basses and gear when a bloke like Steve can rule the world with the same P bass for over thirty years.
I played my own p bass for the first in a while yesterday after reading the OP a few days ago. It's for sale on here but I have to admit that there is nothing quite like the sound of a good P bass plucked. Interesting that I have never had the logo worn problem that my favourite bassist has, but then again I'm not playing to 80,000 at twickenham on a night out.
But.
Just proves how rubbish I really am compared to the likes of him.

Long live King 'arry

Edited by bassman344

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1395000330' post='2397657']
That's a lot of strings, does he throw them away dya reckon?
[/quote]

Friend of mine had a massive bag of ex-steve harris flatwounds somewhere.

Sadly i didn't get on with them, as they would have lasted me for the rest of my playing career I reckon. :)

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1395044652' post='2397898']
Makes me wonder why we spend thousands on basses and gear when a bloke like Steve can rule the world with the same P bass for over thirty years.
I played my own p bass for the first in a while yesterday after reading the OP a few days ago...

Long live King 'arry
[/quote]

To be fair, he does have thousands of pounds worth of gear in his amp racks though so that probably balances it out haha

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1395057819' post='2398071']
Friend of mine had a massive bag of ex-steve harris flatwounds somewhere.

Sadly i didn't get on with them, as they would have lasted me for the rest of my playing career I reckon. :)
[/quote]

I get on with them!
:ph34r: :D

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1395063779' post='2398155']
I'd love to meet him but I know I'd be so star-struck I'd just be a dribbling slack-jawed yokel...
[/quote]

Just like a typical Maiden fan, then. :lol:[size=4] *Runs to the hills*[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1395063779' post='2398155']
You really are the font of all SH knowledge :)

I'd love to meet him but I know I'd be so star-struck I'd just be a dribbling slack-jawed yokel and make a proper fool of myself.
[/quote]

Same here.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1395064985' post='2398178']
Just like a typical Maiden fan, then. :lol:[size=4] *Runs to the hills*[/size]
[/quote]

We know where you live me laddo :ph34r: :ph34r:

I met the great man at Lakeside shopping centre in 1993 ( -ish...!) when I was working there as a postman, me and the other postie spotted him and ran back to HMV to buy the Maiden calender, then ran back to find him and his lady having a spot of lunch, but we still approached him and he was gracious enough to autograph it for us as he chewed on a sandwich! Couple of mates have met him at his Daughters gigs at the Ruskin Arms ( RIP ) and he's very approachable, though he preferred to talk about Laurens and other bands rather than his own, which is probably fair enough.

It's still impressive, one trusted bass model not even a glimpse of a fiver. Dabbled with acoustic on clansman and couple of others unless I'm mistaken but little else.
Like Lemmy and that breed we can't mention although his signature is a 4004
Stick to your guns, if it ain't broke don't tweak it. I could do with paying attention and my bank balance might be healthier.

Edited by bassman344

Sorry, i did make a mistake there. I was meant to say that the number 2 bass was the one that got refinished in black and white checkerboard. This was done so that whilst the main number one bass was being refinished from metallic blue to the West Ham colours, he had his 2nd favourite bass how he wanted it. Only real difference that the number 2 bass has from number one is that it's rosewood boarded instead of the usual maple board.

Again, my apologies for the mistake.