Why become a member? ×

What does it mean to 'outgrow' cheap but good for the price basses?

Annoying Twit

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1394613217' post='2393212']
Not sure you have defined 'better' with the examples you have used.
For me, I think you need to be looking at £1000 s/h to be in good bass territory and even then
it isn't a rock solid garauntee.
That isn't to say you can't luck out with £750 or be out of luck with £1500 spent, but[b] the trick
is to know what you are looking for and what you can do with the bass[/b] and therefore take the luck out it
to quite a degree.
[/quote] the bold bit I agree with - the rest I don't - secondhand prices are no indication of anything other than how much someone will sell the bass for - my main bass was £400 with it's hard case - new they are over £3000... other basses don't seem to depreciate much at. It depends what you're looking for in "good bass territory" and what makes it good. When your standards Stingray/US Fender jazz/precison etc etc can found at the 500-750 mark I really don't know what extra of good you'd be looking for.
[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1394745261' post='2394812']
Indeed. The whole industry relies on the perception that there is a division between "professional" ( the magic word) and amateur gear, and that you won't really be able to be effective until you have got equipment of a certain level. The truth, however, is that we have all seen excellent musicians who can make very ordinary basses sound extraordinary because they have the skill to do so, and most professionals are far more concerned with doing their job well , getting paid and getting repeat work than in fetishising their equipment . Even if you do need certain kinds of equipment in certain situations, it's only a question of getting enough money to purchase it. Not necessarily easy, but not usually insurmountable. If you can't play very well though, then no amount of money will help you, unless you spend it on lessons, and ultimately, if you long to be a musician then only playing well will make you happy.
[/quote]
My friend trained in music tech and then worked for a few years in the LA studio scene. he used to talk of manufacturers creating 3 levels of gear.
Beginners stuff.
Pro stuff.
and the top of the range fancy big bucks stuff - which is aimed at non-pros (who probably have more gear buying money than some pros!).

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1395954219' post='2408421']

My thought as well. Strange question to ask someone on being introduced - probably more interested in gear than music. Still, it takes all sorts.
[/quote]

I suppose I should count myself lucky I didn't get stuck with him discussing gear. Or more likely him telling me what gear I should be using :D

I've kind of come at this 'issue' from another angle. I've had this old bass forever and a day, played a little bit when I got it, then for one reason or another lost interest.

Recently I had the opportunity to play with some like-minded idiots and this sparked my interest again. I figured a new 'toy' would gee me up a bit and I bought a like-new RBX374. The difference is...Night. And. Day. Everything about the Yamaha is different - it's lighter, the body fits mine better, the action is waaaaay lower - it's so much easier to play it ain't true, and the noise it makes.....the noise it makes just sets my trousers on fire. I am absolutely besotted with the thing (can you tell!) but it was £125.

You see, I'd only ever played that one old bass, so had nothing to compare it with - I thought all basses had skyscraper-high action and weighed a ton. It took the impulse purchase of a new bass to teach me that there were infinitely better instruments that I could afford, and by owning one I have plunged back in. And it's very cool.

And it was cheap. Really cheap. Will I 'outgrow' it? Dunno, but it feels nice and it plays nice and it sounds like an angry bear so I doubt I'll outgrow it anytime soon.