Why become a member? ×

backing Vocals how is it best to learn

dabootsy

[quote name='dabootsy' post='236034' date='Jul 9 2008, 08:01 PM']I have been in bands for many years but never done backing vocals , but now i want to have a stab at it
Has anyone any tips on playing and singing at the same time
Help would be appreciated[/quote]

learn the bassline seperately to learning the lyrics. Make sure you a very comfortable playing the line without needing to look at your fingers all the time. The less you have to think while playing, the easier singing will become. Also, try to start off on songs where the bass isn't too busy in the chorus.

One of the best ways to start is to look out for songs where the timing of the vocals matches the beat being played by the bass (not as common as you might think).

If the beat you're singing matches with the beat your fingers (or pick) is using, the singing is much less likely to throw your playing off the beat.

+100 to REALLY knowing the song before you try to sing and play at the same time. You need to be able to sing the words on auto-pilot, and to play the bassline on auto-pilot too. That's NOT the same as suggesting that you then go on stage and perform on auto-pilot ... you just need to know it's there if you need it.

I had my first proper stab at backing vocals last night. For a few weeks now I've been singing quietly to my self at rehearsals and last night I finally got up the courage to plug into the vocal monitor - got some compliments and hopefully over the next few weeks I'll be up to the point where I won;t disgrace myself at our first gig.

I've always sung harmony vox in all the bands I've done. Now that I think about it that's one of two things that all those bands had in common, the other being that they weren't successful... Hmm. Anyway...

If you've ever played piano or drum set you'll be familiar with how "weird" it can feel to be playing two different patterns independently. Playing guitar and singing at the same time can be a pretty similar experience, especially the bass+vox to piano comparison, because you'll most likely be playing rhythmic accompaniment with your hands, and a melody with your voice.

I agree with the posters above who've said that you need to have the bass part become somewhat automatic, because if you're singing at the same time the singing becomes more important. Everybody's going to notice if your vocal is lifeless because you're concentrating on your bass.

If you've got a difficult bass part to play that is often in rhythmic counterpoint to the melody, try slowing it right down to get the notes in the right order. All the way down to 60bpm or lower if you have to, just to get used to the way it feels when you get it right. Once you've practised it super-slow for a while, that rhythm will begin to feel natural, and you can start to speed it up a bit.

I remember practising [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-EeZRBStMNQ"]Love Cats[/url] quite a lot when I first started singing and playing at the same time. I think if you can manage to sing that one all the way through without tripping over yourself you shouldn't have much trouble with anything.

As everyone suggests above,but i started singing lead vocals and playing,choosing songs i could reasonably sing that had a easy bassline,and playing along with the song.Then gradually choosing busier basslines as i improved,and my voice also got stronger.
My voice was never good enough for fronting a band,but i found it very easy to do reasonable backing vocals.

Ive sung backing plus bass for years now- as long as you know the basslines well you should be OK- however just make sure you can hear yourself perfectly in the monitors. A little tip- to get in pitch start well of the mike- sing along with the main vox - then you should be able to harmonize once you have a note to pitch to.

I still cant sing backing and play Your love keeps lifting me higher and higher by Jackie Wilson. I wonder if anyone can- it sounds simple enough ( it is ) but the timing is very difficult.

cheers

Bob

Firstly - don't approach backing vocals as something you happen to be doing while you play bass. Give it equal priority. In fact there's a case for giving it priority over the bass , certainly in terms of simplifying a bassline so you can sing properly.

Secondly - sing with as much confidence as you play with little regard for current ability or experience.

Third - why would you expect to be able to sing as well as you play , when you've practised playing everyday for years but haven't done any singing? In other words , get singing - you've some catching up to do. This third pointer will sort out the second for you.

The first point is about how you can best support the song , which as bass players we should all be used to doing anyway.

I've seen guys singing backing vocals through a 20 quid mic while playing a 2 grand bass. Just think about that - what exactly are they wanting to acheive?

All the above.

I find I need to get comfortable with the song on the bass first and only then worry about b vox.

Sing with confidence and make sure you keep within range.

I've not done this myself (though I have considered using eMusic downloads for this in months when it is difficult to find other stuff I want) but you might want to get hold of some karaoke CD's and sing out loud in the car, or even just sing harmonies to your usual CD's

[quote name='ARGH' post='236278' date='Jul 10 2008, 08:06 AM']If you screw up your vox onstage,everyone notices,if you screw up the Bass,not many will.

SAD FACT.[/quote]

Ain't that the truth!

Mind you, volume can cover a multitude of sins. I sang lead on a few numbers at our last gig. The soundman kindly ran my little Zoom handheld recorder through the desk. I sounded terrible on the recording - unbelievably bad - but the guys in the audience said they didn't notice that I was out of tune or whatever, because the energy and the enthusiasm was what they picked up on.

I've done lead vocal and bass for years and I don't think it's a matter of knowing the song, as much as it's a matter of just practising the technique. It's actually not that difficult, but I'd say you should always be prepared to (somewhat) compromise the bassline if necessary if one of the accents in the line is really throwing the vocal (or vice versa).