Why become a member? ×

Tone: it's in more than the fingers

Fionn

Guest bassman7755

I've played songs ranging from mustang sally to enter sandman with the same gear and setup, just dialing in a little more gain the latter case.

How many of you know what cymbals your drummer is using..? Paiste..? Zyldjian..? Sabian..? Meinl..? ...and what metal would that be..? B20..? B8..? Brass..? Does he/she change cymbals regularly, or between sets, or songs, so as to get '[i]that[/i]' tone..? Maybe it's not so important for drummers to nail '[i]that[/i]' tone, eh..? Talk to your drummer, and see if that's the case or not. You'll perhaps be surprised at how drummers get all sorts of 'tone' from the one kit. Yes, changing snare will change the sound. Is it critical, without which all is lost..? Of course not. All of these 'material' changes, although with effect, are completely (or almost...) lost in the overall scheme of things. Things may be very slightly different for a '[i]soloing[/i]' bassist, but even then, not much. No, It's not '[i]all[/i]' in the fingers; just the important bit.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1394324480' post='2390402']
If I were inclined to want to sound like Flea, the first thing I would attend to would be his technique: studying albums, getting info and watching video clips, and making sure my chops were up to the task. As far as [i]what instrument to buy?[/i] - I would be stumped...
Of all the Chilli's albums and numerous basses he's used, which one has Fleas tone?

it's not a good analogy.
[/quote]

It's absolutely terrible analogy :) .

If you want to sound like [i]any[/i] player, then you need to study how [i]they[/i] play. It's no good just going out any buying the same gear, you need to play like they do too.

Like I said in an earlier post, I've seen guys at college play other peoples basses, and they sound different. Guys have played my basses in live workshops, same amp, room, string, cable, cab everything, but they sound different to me.

:)

Ok, I'll get back in my box!!! :-)

The point I was trying to get across (albeit badly) was that performance (whether it be "tone" or fast lap times) has more than one ingredient to success.

I'll say again, I don't disagree that technique plays a huge part, but IMO you can't rely on it alone if you want something very specific. Will the rest of the band notice? probably not. Will the punters notice? Almost certainly not!

In my band, I cover a huge range of tones, and through necessity have had to do without my sansamp lately. I can still get close to the tone I'm after, but step on that little black box and it is surprising how much more like the original it becomes.

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1394205275' post='2389162']
This vid is fairly conclusive evidence that the bass itself has at least something to do with it - [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFjA0cshhvc[/media]
[/quote] I dunno, I don't think anyone would argue that using a tone control to cut the top end off changes the tone... but watching that video it seems that he's very much moving his hand to a different place for each bass...
[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1394221868' post='2389380']
Heard my pre cbs Fender jazz being played by a mate last night and I feel he got a tone from that bass that was to die for and I could not ever replicate :(.
[/quote] I think this is the thing we should celebrate - we get so anal about gear or even technique sometimes. I love hearing other players use my gear and show that they are so much better than me. They never sound like me and normally better but it's great to hear good bass players.
[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1394308404' post='2390219']
To use an analogy, Sebastian Vettel is one hell of an F1 driver right now, but put him in a Renault, is he going to perform at the same level? Most likely not. It's all apples and oranges.
[/quote] Ironically he has had a renault engine, and somewhat excitingly it's rubbish this year! :D

A friend of mine has a really beautiful pre E/B Stingray bass. I don't get on with Stingrays, it sounds amazing in his hands, rubbish in mine.

Someone at uni has a Stingray, gets a great sound from it, I haven't played it, but I'm guessing it wouldn't sound the same if I did.

:)

I lent my bass to another player at a jam session last week. He didn't touch the controls, he didn't tweak the amp, I just want to get a tone that smooth :) Looked at objectively he plucked the strings in a slightly different place and he had equal finger strength across all his plucking fingers. His fretting hand had a hint of vibrato and a really crisp movement across the strings.

Steve

I buy this bass,I buy this bass,I buy that bass,I change the pickups,amp and cabs,I buy the same basses again,yep,sounds like me. A good chunk is in your fingers and playing style,for me new strings are a must! Had all sorts of pickups fitted,each sound different too but our guitarist reckons he could walk in and listen to a band and would know it was me!!! That maybe playing style,technique,good or bad,the attack on the strings etc,influences,under the influences or some nerds prefer duracel to ever ready ( I have seen discussions! ) It will be me playing ,my way,not copying just enjoying my own tone that I seem to always try to change,lol.

I'm serious about tone being in your head. Equipment, even technique, produces sound, but it's a mechanical thing. What turns it into Tone is what you're hearing and feeling in your head. I've been startled what that sounds like on a good night when I get it right, and how bloody awful the same setup sounds when I don't.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1394664528' post='2393942']
I'm serious about tone being in your head. Equipment, even technique, produces sound, but it's a mechanical thing. What turns it into Tone is what you're hearing and feeling in your head. I've been startled what that sounds like on a good night when I get it right, and how bloody awful the same setup sounds when I don't.
[/quote]a good tone is a good tone no matter what mood I'm in.