Why become a member? ×

Bass Crisis

DogHammer

So my bass 'estate' has grown a bit over the past few years. I always used to be a 1 bass man and it hadn't even occurred to me that I would ever need more than one.

I have a Warwick NT Corvette that I loved when I bought it, and did so for about a year. Then I went and bought myself a MIM Jazz from the for sale section here, threw in a J-Retro and some new pick ups to use it as a 'backup'. I liked it so much that it turned into my main gigging bass.

The Warwick sat around for a year not being played at all, and I thought maybe I just prefer a Fender Jazz. So I went and bought myself a US std, also from the for sale section. Didn't really like the way it played, even though it wasn't much different to the MIM. I persevered, threw in another J-Retro, changed the bridge and it was a hell of a lot better and became my main gigging bass.

I didn't pick up the MIM for a while, but then went back to it when I left the US over at my singers house. Annoyingly I liked it better than the US. It became my main gigging bass again....

I picked up the Warwick and took it for a gig on Saturday. We got on like a house on fire, like we had never parted. Sounded fantastic, played fast and fun.

So I'm in a BASS CRISIS. Anyone had a similar crisis? and how do I get through it? or will this always happen to me and I am doomed to GAS, and buy basses on the forums forever?

Someone said to me once "guitars (and basses) are like people, they all have a different personality." you can have many friends, or a few, it's up to you. Some people have found "the one" they won't part with, like when you get married. Most have not found that special bass in their life and enjoy the company of a few different ones that they quite like...

I have basses that I fell in love with in the shop that have not been played since - something of a one night stand I suppose. I also have basses that I wish I could play more often but don't fit what I'm doing all the time.

But one bass, for all purposes. Nah.

I have (out of necessity) a designated 'main' bass (the Spector 5) although, once the two self build 5 strings are finished, that'll be 3 basses depending on what the gig is. I have three basses that are slightly collectable but primarily recording instruments, plus a couple of purely collectables. That's enough for me in principle although once I start building my own there is always a chance of more experiments. Because I have some slack in my current collection, I'll be having a clear out of my stuff after I ship it over from NZ too - fewer four strings for starters because I just don't need them.

Mainly this is because I know how to get what I want from a bass now and having something that feels and sounds right yet can be versatile when needed means more satisfaction than from other instruments. Its taken the purchase and sale of 30 instruments in the last 10 years to get there however.

[quote name='DogHammer' timestamp='1393851175' post='2384950']
So I'm in a BASS CRISIS. Anyone had a similar crisis? and how do I get through it? or will this always happen to me and I am doomed to GAS, and buy basses on the forums forever?
[/quote]

Yep. :D

This is how it starts, - slowly at first, a new addition here & there; then one day you wake up and discover you can't move for all the bass related stuff you've bought!

[quote name='DogHammer' timestamp='1393851175' post='2384950']
So my bass 'estate' has grown a bit over the past few years. I always used to be a 1 bass man and it hadn't even occurred to me that I would ever need more than one.

I have a Warwick NT Corvette that I loved when I bought it, and did so for about a year. Then I went and bought myself a MIM Jazz from the for sale section here, threw in a J-Retro and some new pick ups to use it as a 'backup'. I liked it so much that it turned into my main gigging bass.

The Warwick sat around for a year not being played at all, and I thought maybe I just prefer a Fender Jazz. So I went and bought myself a US std, also from the for sale section. Didn't really like the way it played, even though it wasn't much different to the MIM. I persevered, threw in another J-Retro, changed the bridge and it was a hell of a lot better and became my main gigging bass.

I didn't pick up the MIM for a while, but then went back to it when I left the US over at my singers house. Annoyingly I liked it better than the US. It became my main gigging bass again....

I picked up the Warwick and took it for a gig on Saturday. We got on like a house on fire, like we had never parted. Sounded fantastic, played fast and fun.

[/quote]
This is no crisis.....you merely have options.

You can never have enough options.

I rotate most of my basses, I have a few that are out of favour or don't suit the current bands I am playing in (the Jazz and Status spring to mind) but sometimes it is just nice to pick up a different bass and gig it.....I certainly think it teaches you that the guitar is just a tool and it is you as the player that makes it happen

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1393876773' post='2385428']
How can having options be a crisis?? I, like many others, just use them in rotation - it's nice to be surprised by your "old friends" who you haven't used in a while..
[/quote]

^^This exactly.

Plus (assuming like me you enjoy the zing of a roundwound string) you never have to suffer that last minute "Oh no, I forgot the strings are dead on this" moment - you just go and dig out another bass and use that one instead. Which is fine... until you get to the last one. Then it all gets a bit expensive...

Cheers

Ed

Yeah had the same a while back. Id been using my Spector Ns2a since mid 92 and in 08 figured I need a jazz so got one in the states a stunning brand new 75 reissue.
I played this bass for 3 years and in the latter few months was really trying to convince myself this was the bass for me.
One night I brought the Spector back out and it was like putting on the nicest pair of old slippers everythig worked my tone, technique, vibe, inspiration for the music weird, but, it all realigned again...if that makes sense.
At the time of getting the jazz I was looking to "retire" the Spector as it was getting on in years and just plain wanted a new bass, never been a collector.
So I was back to the Spector till 2010!, I did use the jazz for a few other gigs but I was still struggling getting the tone and my technique out. Found all this very frustrating, having a top caliber instrument and just not enjoying it.
I'm waffling now but I recon most players would say its good to have the various basses at hand for different situations. However I chose to.... Retire the NS2a to a new Spector Wimbish model.
The jazz found a new loving owner with a swap deal for a Ken Smith.
I recon I'm just not a Fender player but funny thing is ill probably pickup a cheap jazz at some stage now that I have the start of a small collection.

Hi my name is Gareth..........and I'm a bassaholic.

I joined Basschat and, after being a one bass man for 15 years, ended up with 9 basses. I felt obliged to play them in rotation to justify owning them. But eventually realised I was favouring my Jazz and Precision so sold the rest.
What I learned was, a Jazz with a J-Retro can do just about anything you need a bass to do and you don't really need anything else.

But I do miss that Stingray......

Edited by gjones