Why become a member? ×

**SOLD** Fender 1966 Precision Bass
£2800

Chiliwailer

I keep listing this and then withdrawing it, it's getting a bit silly really. I had a firm offer come through recently and I just couldn't go through with the deal as this is a great bass, (even though I'm more into ash bodies with maple boards - which is why I'm using my CS 55 P Bass). Anyway, reality has come back to me and I need to get some cash back. It really is for sale now, no turning back.

This is a 1966 Precision that has a neck and vintage sound to die for! It's light weight at a sweet 8.38lbs and has a very vintage, soulful tone with lots of clarity. It has a Brazilian fingerboard which makes it feel more Pre CBS and just like my old 63 and 64 P Basses. Fender completed the change from Indian to Brazillian rosewood in 1966 so these are rarer.

It has it's original hard case and a 1963 Fender Precision pickup, plus one changed screw in a tuner gear. The pickup was rewound by The Bass Doc, he did an incredible job and used the correct colour winding whilst also spraying the pickup with lacquer to make it period correct, it would fool most as appearing all original though has newer cloth wires and is missing the brass plate.

I bought the '63 pickup especially for this bass. Fender used old stock black bottom pickups until around 1967 so this one isn't at all out of place on this bass, especially as it has the Brazilian fingerboard which is also a more common pre CBS feature.

[attachment=158605:P66 (4).JPG]

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1393537758' post='2381760']
The only Fender I'd ever consider (prefer maple for mine though).
Why? It's my YoB bass. Daft reason I know. :)

Looking forward to piccies of this beastie.
[/quote]

Good reason! My YoB is 1978, not quite the same appeal for a YoB model.....

Can't work out why pics aren't working, I can see them! I've posted a pic to the advert anyhow via the uploader.

Cheers

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1393539210' post='2381785']
Nice. The sunburst was very different then compared with more modern basses, I think.
[/quote]

Cheers, the colour does vibe. The sunburst Fender sprayed from 1966 and used up to 1968 has a more yellow effect than usual. You're certainly right about the differences too.

Edited by Chiliwailer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1395907634' post='2407715']
My YOB bass, right there!
[/quote]

This one was born in May :)[size=4] [/size]

[size=4] [/size][size=4]I once had a lovely Autumnglo 4001 that was my month and year of birth, shame I got rid of it all those years back. :([/size]

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1395913158' post='2407788']
This one was born in May :)
[/quote]

Stop it! I was born in May 1966 too! B)

I console myself that the pickup is three years older than me, therefore I shouldn't buy this. It's working.... so far! :rolleyes: :gas:

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1396774333' post='2417095']
It's not easy at the moment is it Dan.

Keep considering putting my 75 on Ebay but damn, those fees are high, plus there is a high numpty factor to contend with.

Hope you get a sale on there. :)
[/quote]

Cheers Gary. It should be gone really, but I turned down an offer of £2800 when I was still unsure about selling it, just got to wait for the next wave which will no doubt come along. It's a great vintage bass at a realistic price so someone will be well chuffed.

In all honesty, I never expect a bass over £2k to sell fast, but what usually happens is you get 2 or 3 people showing interest at once, after none have for weeks. It just happened on my Custom Shop 55 P Bass which I sold yesterday, two guys decided to pull the trigger on the same day!

Only thing that bothers me is that the '66 is still in my home, teasing me constantly to keep it. I'm having to ban myself from playing it!!! :o[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1396778184' post='2417136']
Only thing that bothers me is that the '66 is still in my home, teasing me constantly to keep it. I'm having to ban myself from playing it!!! :o
[/quote]

Same here mate, I keep playing the 75 and thinking maybe I should keep this.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1396784138' post='2417228']
Same here mate, I keep playing the 75 and thinking maybe I should keep this.
[/quote]

If I didn't have some debts, we wouldn't even be having this conversation....our two basses should be keepers! This is nuts :)[size=4] [/size]

Please excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong, but doesn't the '5' on the neck stamp relate to a 'Precision' model and not the actually day/date in this year of manufacture??

Lovely bass anyroadup - droooool :gas:!!

GLWTS - but I don't think you'll need it type bump :D!!

[quote name='dodgnofski' timestamp='1396798176' post='2417424']
Please excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong, but doesn't the '5' on the neck stamp relate to a 'Precision' model and not the actually day/date in this year of manufacture??

Lovely bass anyroadup - droooool :gas:!!

GLWTS - but I don't think you'll need it type bump :D!!
[/quote]

That's right mate, the stamp shows - model/month/year/nut width (neck shape)

This one is May 66 with a C neck, though the info isn't too clear on the stamp, or picture. I had another May '66 P Bass with the same issue. If anyone is interested in this bass they can email me for pics of the other '66's stamp etc to confirm it's legit.

Cheers!