Why become a member? ×

Open mic - hardware?

Ajoten

[color=#444444][font=Calibri, sans-serif][size=4]Just hooked up with guy who wants to do some git/vox/bass songs for open-mic purposes. What's the general amp requirement and availability and stuff for bass at such shindigs? People expect you to bring own amp, or do they usually have their own, do they prefer to DI, does the whole idea catch some organisers by surprise etc? I'm musing on getting an acoustic bass, which I know needs plugging in just as much as a lecky one, but I wondered if there's something better or easier about them in charge dealing sonically with 2 acoustic gits etc.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#444444][font=Calibri, sans-serif][size=4]I also wonder whether clangy acoustic basses somehow blend or cut through better with acoustic guitar compared to the round boom of electric - and doesn't just sound like the drummist hasn't showed up.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#444444][font=Calibri, sans-serif][size=4]What are people's experiences of this?[/size][/font][/color]

I occasionally do open mics around North London with Mrs C on vocal duties, doing arrangements of old folk / drinking songs with me on bass and looper...Most open mics have a basic PA, I just take bass and pedalboard and plug straight in.

To be honest, as it's an open mic and not a gig, you look like a bit of a plonker if you bring loads of your own gear... It's only a couple of tunes usually and open mics are more about all the acts watching each other and having a few drinks. Bit pretentious to turn up with a full rig do your tune then leave...

Edited by CamdenRob

Yes! I lugged a Line6 300W 15" combo to an open mic once upon a time and felt like a right wally.

Best to take a DI or some kind of pedal, most places have simple mixers and simple soundmen that will plug your passive bass into a standard low impedance line input which won't sound very good. Don't have to spend loads, a Behringer BDI21 or a Joyo/Harley Benton American/British Sound pedal would be perfect. In fact get one of those for the guitarist as well unless they're playing an acoustic!

[quote name='Ajoten' timestamp='1393414953' post='2379872']
So you reck it's a choice between a cheap DI pedal or an extra bass? Hmm...
[/quote]

I'd go with the behringer DI thingy... seems to get good reviews and cheap as chips :)

It's got to be worth a call or email to the promoter / venue though to sus out whats going to be available on the night.

Also, you get some right nutters at open mic nights... :blink: The other night a guy got up on stage and shouted some random rhyming words then sat down again... I don't even think he was mentally unstable, I think it was actually some kind of predetermined performance piece...

oh and there is always a guy playing the spoons at some point...

I do open mics about once a week, electro/acoustic guitar and singing, (no bass) they vary a lot, but they all have a basic PA (unless advertised differently) so like loads of others have said just your bass and a DI pedal, Oh, and tell the guy running it what time you've got to leave by if you don't want to play the graveyard shift

I host an open mic / jam night once a month, they tend to vary though. Most of them will have a PA, and since they're not normally at a high level, you could be okay DIing into a vocal PA.

The way I do it is I have mine as a band setup, so I'll have a trio as house band (me on bass, guitarist who sings and a drummer), and then people can get up. That means there's always amps provided, and there's a PA there too... has to be said, last time we were really quite loud :lol:

Well this is all good if I don't need to lug amp coz can walk/public transport and have lots of ale.

Tho I still have the dilemma of whether P-bass with flats will sound wrong avec drumless acoustic guitar, and using ABG for counterpoint work better.

[How is your 5 string Harley Fray Bentos acoustic, Mr Goblin? Coz I'm wondering if it will be easier to justify a whole new bass if either fretlessness or 5 stringedness comes into play, as I have neither currently.]

I always take my own bass, if I take a cheapy then I'm happy to let someone else use it if I take something more precious to me then (unless I know the borrower well) no. I'd expect the PA and backline to be provided by the house/organiser.

As an aside I had a run in with a pillock a few months back at a local jam. I plugged into the bass amp and the aforementioned came up to me and said not to use that amp to which I was plugging in. I said sorry mate, didn't know it was damaged to which he replied, 'it isn't, it's mine'. After that I may have requested that he do one, but Personally I would only put backline on a Jamnight stage if I was happy with all using it ....albeit I might tape down the controls!

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1393415280' post='2379880']

I'd go with the behringer DI thingy... seems to get good reviews and cheap as chips :)

[/quote]

This.

I used to run a small open mic/acoustic night and the only time we had a bass running through our (basic) PA without a DI it sounded pretty awful. Worthwhile investment.

I've done loads of open mic nights with me on bass, our guitarist and our singer. I've taken amps before but just tend to plug straight into the PA as there's always been one there. The sounds has varied a lot so maybe I should get a DI box.

My bass tutor highly recommends this: http://www.orchid-electronics.co.uk/Muting_DI_Box.htm - the muting switch is really handy he says. They also do a cheaper one without the switch. I've never got round to buying one though...

I once had a run in with a chap at an open mic night, I'd taken my amp along and once played, unplugged and moved it out of the way, and put my bass in it's case at the side. Fast forward an hour, I was out in the smoking area catching up with a few people I hadn't seen for a while, and I heard bass... not very good sounding fretless playing. Yep, some older chap had plugged my amp back in, and also pulled my bass out of it's case and started playing it without my consent.

When I confronted him about it, his response simply was "well it was there and no one stopped me, so it's not my problem"