Why become a member? ×

Why shouldn't I buy a Behringer BB115?

jmccabe

I'm unhappy with my present speaker cabinet (some of you might have seen my comment o the TalkBass forum) which is a 1x15 (Celestion G15-100) in a rather compact (19" x 16" x 12" approximate internal dimensions) cabinet.

I can't afford to spend a lot on a new cabinet, so I'm looking at what options are available.

My first thought was to change the driver in my current cabinet, however I play 5 string and it has been suggested that the cabinet I have may be a bit small for 5 string frequencies.

My second thought is to get a new 1x15 for the moment then, at some point in the future either go for a 2x10 + a new head (currenly have a 1981 vintage Carlsbro Stingray 150w Bass head), or a 2x10 combo.

Obviously Behrineger comes to mind, and I spotted the BB115 at £132 online with free delivery. However you read a lot of bad things about Behringer (although I have a little 30w practice amp that's been fine, but not used a huge amount).

So, who's got an opinion on the BB115? Is it worth the money or will spending a little bit more get a better product (assuming I'm buying new!). For example the Laney RB-115 can be had for about £155 - would that be a significantly better product? What other options would you suggest at around that sort of price range?

Thanks for your advice.
John

Behringer bass stuff does look great for the price - but there's a saying - you remember the quality but forget the price. As soon as you buy that cab, it'll drop in value by at least half, if not more. You'll then be left with the cab. You may love it, chances are you'll feel you could have done better. By all accounts they're heavy and made on a tight budget.

You'd be better off buying secondhand I think - something better quality. Spend £100 on an Ashdown, Warwick, Hartke or similar cab and you be happier in the long run, I reckon.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='234843' date='Jul 8 2008, 11:19 AM']Behringer bass stuff does look great for the price - but there's a saying - you remember the quality but forget the price. As soon as you buy that cab, it'll drop in value by at least half, if not more. You'll then be left with the cab. You may love it, chances are you'll feel you could have done better. By all accounts they're heavy and made on a tight budget.

You'd be better off buying secondhand I think - something better quality. Spend £100 on an Ashdown, Warwick, Hartke or similar cab and you be happier in the long run, I reckon.[/quote]

Or speak to Alex [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=13344&st=140"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=13344&st=140[/url] or Bill www.billfitzmaurice.com

I built my own (very similar to Alex's) and have never been happier, and get a lot of comments both from punters and players that have used it.

I bought brand new, when they first came out in 2004, a Behringer BA1x15 and a BA2x10. They had aluminium style cones. They did not last long, literally. Within a year, the cones disintegrated, rather like a window that has had a stone through it, leaving a hole. Maybe they've got better, but I won't go near their cabs again. Second Hand cabs are definitely the thing. If you don't mind weight, then you should pick up a bargain on Basschat, as many of us on the wrong side of 40 are going premium/light and shedding the back-breaking beasts accordingly.

[quote name='bremen' post='234850' date='Jul 8 2008, 11:28 AM']Or speak to Alex [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=13344&st=140"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=13344&st=140[/url] or Bill www.billfitzmaurice.com

I built my own (very similar to Alex's) and have never been happier, and get a lot of comments both from punters and players that have used it.[/quote]

Thanks for that suggestion but, despite it running in the family, I don't appear to have inherited the woodworking gene :-) (my dad, his brother and his dad were all woodworkers!) I wouldn't be capable of making a decent job of things although I have a colleague who may be worth approaching :-)

John

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='234867' date='Jul 8 2008, 12:02 PM']I bought brand new, when they first came out in 2004, a Behringer BA1x15 and a BA2x10. They had aluminium style cones. They did not last long, literally. Within a year, the cones disintegrated, rather like a window that has had a stone through it, leaving a hole. Maybe they've got better, but I won't go near their cabs again. Second Hand cabs are definitely the thing. If you don't mind weight, then you should pick up a bargain on Basschat, as many of us on the wrong side of 40 are going premium/light and shedding the back-breaking beasts accordingly.[/quote]

I'm 41 :-)

[quote name='Merton' post='234841' date='Jul 8 2008, 11:17 AM']If you can buy something second hand on here instead, you'll get more for your money :)[/quote]

You're probably right, but every cab I've got round to looking at on the For Sale forum is miles away; the advantage of a new one is it'll be delivered.

I guess i could put a wanted ad on!

[quote name='jmccabe' post='234980' date='Jul 8 2008, 02:22 PM']You're probably right, but every cab I've got round to looking at on the For Sale forum is miles away; the advantage of a new one is it'll be delivered.

I guess i could put a wanted ad on![/quote]

Whereabouts are you? I have a spare Hartke 1x15 that's right up your thoroughfare....

how about this,
[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown-MAG-115~ID~1450.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~A...115~ID~1450.asp[/url]

very good for the money and will certainly be more reliable than the behringer, you could go for the 2x10 for a few dollars more. :)

Edited by lowhand_mike

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='235040' date='Jul 8 2008, 03:52 PM']Bear in mind Ashdown's reputation for reliability isn't much better than Behringer.[/quote]
For their MAG amplifiers yes, for a while it was bad but not for their cabs (unless I've been hiding under a bigger rock than I thought? :) )

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='235040' date='Jul 8 2008, 03:52 PM']Bear in mind Ashdown's reputation for reliability isn't much better than Behringer.[/quote]
think thats a bit harsh!cant put them in the same league even the mag range which behringer try and copy!buy the mag 1x15 sorted!

[quote name='TheRev' post='234988' date='Jul 8 2008, 02:27 PM']Whereabouts are you? I have a spare Hartke 1x15 that's right up your thoroughfare....[/quote]
I'm in Ledbury, Herefordshire, but I work with someone from Bristol.

What model is it and how much are you looking for?

[quote name='rayfw' post='235087' date='Jul 8 2008, 04:47 PM']If you're near Coventry I would've thought this was quite a good buy:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=21590"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=21590[/url][/quote]
Thanks for that suggestion but I'm not very close to Coventry. I don't have a lot of experience of 4x10 cabs either, but the ones I do have experience I didn't much like the sound of, so I'd be a bit hesitant on that anyway.

For the moment I think it's best to stick with a 1x15.

Thanks again though.

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='235028' date='Jul 8 2008, 03:34 PM']how about this,
[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown-MAG-115~ID~1450.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~A...115~ID~1450.asp[/url]

very good for the money and will certainly be more reliable than the behringer, you could go for the 2x10 for a few dollars more. :)[/quote]

Wow - that is rather inexpensive - and I quite like SoundsLive! I'll have to think about that one. Obviously I've heard of Ashdown's unreliability but as someone else mentioned, it's always been about amps, not speakers. Apart from that, I like the look of the 2x10 as well.

Thanks

[quote name='jmccabe' post='235112' date='Jul 8 2008, 05:08 PM']Wow - that is rather inexpensive - and I quite like SoundsLive! I'll have to think about that one. Obviously I've heard of Ashdown's unreliability but as someone else mentioned, it's always been about amps, not speakers. Apart from that, I like the look of the 2x10 as well.

Thanks[/quote]
i know a guy who plays a double bass through a mag 1x15 and 2x10 and has never had any problems with them so i think you would be ok.

I have no experience of Behringer gear but have the impression that it's cheap and cheerful and you can have problems. I'd start by looking at Rayman's Roland DB500 combo. There has been (might still be) Peavey and Hartke in the BC For Sale section. I'd prefer them to Behringer any day.

Oops, just noticed that the Roland is only 160 watt and 1x12!!

Edited by chris_b

My £0.02 worth...
I've used Behringer amps & cabs at my local rehearsal rooms for a couple of years now.
The rooms are usually set up with a Behringer amp and 2 x 1x15 Behringer cabs.
They get pummeled 12 hours a day/7 days a week and seem to be holding up OK and sound alright.

I have an ethical problem with all of Behringer's gear but at least most of it is a tolerable rip-off of something decent. Their speakers are another kettle of fish - I can't think of a single redeeming characteristic. Poor tone, poor power handling, heavy, poor durability, poor resale value. Buy a secondhand Peavey or something!

Alex