Why become a member? ×

Ebay, grrr!

Maude

Why aren't people more accurate when writing descriptions for ebay?

I recently won the auction for a hard bass case (well the only bid), nice dark red interior and local to me, just what I'm after.

After the auction ended the seller messages me saying "do you need it for a bass? If so it won't fit".

It turns out it's a guitar case but he used it for a headless bass, a conventional bass with a headstock won't fit.

He says it explains all this in the listing, I disagree.

This is all the listing says, apart from a little bit about collection or local delivery for a fee, [b]This case will accommodate a guitar or bass (I used it for my Status 2000) [/b]

Do you think I'm out of line asking to cancel the sale, because he seems to?

No I think you're definitely in the right and have a perfectly valid reason for cancelling the sale - you have in writing their comment that the case is not suitable for a bass after initially claiming that it can accommodate a bass (unless it's like the bloody TARDIS). If they start arguing the case then open a dispute.

If it were me I'd cancel, saying the goods were not as described.
I sell lots of stuff on Ebay and always make sure my listings are very accurate and I include as many photo's as appropriate.
Ebay will side with you automatically being the buyer, sounds to me like the seller is lazy and/or stupid.

It had been listed twice before, even sold once so presumably the same problem, but what I don't get is how, even though it didn't sell a couple of times he didn't list it more accurately.
The way I see it is that the listing suggests it's a case that will fit both a bass and guitar (the picture shows it to be the rectangular type with just one 'cushion' for the neck which can be placed where you want, you know the type). A guitarist will think it's going to be big as a bass will fit in so will look for something smaller, a bassist will assume a conventional bass will fit and have to cancel afterwards, as I'm having to.
If you own a headless bass, presumably you'd know wether it'll fit in a guitar sized case or not.
I mentioned all this to him and he said it explains all that in the listing.
I've sent another message requesting cancellation.

[quote name='Wud' timestamp='1393068564' post='2375780']
If it were me I'd cancel, saying the goods were not as described.
I sell lots of stuff on Ebay and always make sure my listings are very accurate and I include as many photo's as appropriate.
Ebay will side with you automatically being the buyer, sounds to me like the seller is lazy and/or stupid.
[/quote] This +1

I wouldn't waste much time in getting a dispute claim started if I were you.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1393071270' post='2375820']
Just open a case "item not as described". Ebay tends to give buyers the benefit of any doubt.
[/quote] I've also found ebay don't have any interest in you having to return the goods either.

I once disputed about a bass not being as described and they refunded my paypal payment and that was it... I got an FOC bass!

Yeah I'm not going to pay and I'm not worried at all, just thought I'd see if folks agreed with me as he's adamant he's listed it correctly. I am expecting him to be a dick about going by his messages by hey, you can't reason with a dick :D .

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1393082145' post='2375998']
Just don't pay for it, no need to raise a dispute or anything. That's for him to do if he wants, they can't force you to pay for something, especially if a fool has listed it wrongly.
[/quote]
If you don't raise a dispute he'll raise one against the OP as a non-paying bidder in order to avoid the auction fees. If undisputed it will lead to a strike against Maude's Ebay account, which might not amount to much but can be easily avoided by just reporting it to Ebay.

Just had the third, I think, reply.

My message,
"[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Could you cancel this item please as it does not state in the listing that a conventional sized bass will not fit in the case.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Thank you."[/size][/font][/color]

His reply
"[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]It does actually state that it was use for a Status 2000 suggesting that that it will accommodate headless basses."[/size][/font][/color]

Hmmm :rolleyes:

My final message,
"[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]I'm not going to get into a debate about this, yes it states it was used for a Status, also states it "will accommodate a bass", suggesting that a standard bass will fit, which it won't, therefore your listing is inaccurate.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]If I sold my U-Bass case I would not state that it will accommodate a bass, because that would be silly, as is this listing.[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3].[/size][/font][/color]"

If he still disagrees I will now open a dispute as, like Musky says, he will probably open one against me because he seems like right Richard.

Edited by Maude

To play devils advocate though, I personally wouldn't bid on a vague item that can't possibly deliver.
I've never seen a case that would safely hold either or both a Bass and Guitar, it's either or really.

I still think you'd have grounds to cancel though.