Why become a member? ×

Eminence/Celestion

famine43

Hi guys,

First of all, apologies if this is a rehash of an old thread!

I'm planning on replacing the drivers in my old 4x10 bass cab. I have some wigggle room when it comes to cost but cannot justify shelling out for a new cab.

I've done some research and am currently torn between the Eminence Beta 10A or the Celestion BL10-200X.

Can anyone recommend any others? If so, why?

I'm currently running a Jazz into a 500W Terror Bass and plan on loading a couple of Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders into the mix quite soon.

Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions/comments!

Edited by famine43

Hi,

There's folk on here much better informed than me about the exact details of these things, but fundamentally the performance of a speaker will be dependent on how well it matches the cabinet it's in. Without knowing the design of the 410, it's impossible to say how a particular speaker will sound in it, no matter how expensive the speaker. The only speaker which will be guaranteed to sound as well as the original speakers in that cab are the original speakers.

I'd be inclined to possibly push your budget a little (I can see 4 x Eminence Beta will be £200+) and look at a whole new (or secondhand on here) cab. For £249, you can get a Genz Focus 410 brand new from GAK, which I'm guessing will be lighter and probably better than your old 410 (tho you don't say what it is).

I agree with Muzz. Just throwing speakers into a cab (regardless of cost/type) will give a random result which might well work but for the cost and to factor out the possibility of making an expensive gamble, I'd spend the same money on a used (or poss even new) cab.

Cabs are (meant to be) designed around speakers, or vice versa and unless you are going to put OEM drivers in I'd not take the chance. ;)

[quote name='famine43' timestamp='1392803163' post='2372829']
I've done some research and am currently torn between the Eminence Beta 10A or the Celestion BL10-200X.
[/quote]How did they compare to each other after you modeled them in your cab with speaker modeling software and you compared the high frequency response on the manufacturer driver data sheets?

Honestly, I haven't done that much research. I've mainly been comparing low end response and dB sensitivity.

According to what I found, the Eminence have a higher sensitivity whereas the Celestions have a much better low end response.

My cab is a 25th anniversary Marshall. A pig to move about, but nice and sturdy all the same!

Thanks for your responses guys, having studied acoustics, I should probably be thinking about everything you've said already.(*Facepalm*) My only defense is that it was three years ago I graduated...

It`s a tricky one, and I`d be inclined to just get a new cab, as as Muzz says a new cab won`t cost that much more than a new set of speakers. As a question though, why are you looking at replacing them, have they blown or is it a case of wanting a different sound?

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1392829488' post='2373228']
Do guitars actually sound bad through bass gear though? Guitarist in my band now plays through a Fender Bassman 1x15 combo which sounds great using pedals for distotion. I always wanted him to hook up to my Ashdown 4x8 but never got round to it.
[/quote]

The EQ is voiced different for guitar/bass but not to say you can't use. Bass through guitar gear will generally run out of headroom pretty quick, so a bass player using 50w of guitar gear is going to be crucified by a guitarist using same. Conversely, a guitarist will have loads of clean headroom if using bass gear 'especially' if he is using effects to get his sounds (in particular distortion).

I put 4 BL10-200 Celestions into a Hartke TP cab with great results (not hard some will say but never the less) and I've had a few cabs with Beta 10's in that have also sounded good.
If you want to keep the cab I'd say those two choices would be worth a punt but if it were me, I'd favor the Genz Focus as Muzz said earlier.
B)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the super late resonse! I've been in the states for a fortnight!

I haven't gotten around to taking the drivers out of my cab yet. I wanted to get some second opinions on the idea I'd had before I start dismantling stuff.
Hopefully I'll get dchance to take a look this weekend and I'll let you know!