Why become a member? ×

Getting "that sound" to cut through....any pedals?

Thunderpaws

I have a G&L L2000 tribby going into my Genz Streamliner. The band has 3 guitars, and to be honest, on my middle pick up selector I cut through fine. Trouble is, I LOVE the tone I get on the neck pickup only but it doesn't cut through as well, especially live. Sounds fine recorded.

Question is, is this something an eq pedal would fix? Any recommendations?

Ta

Sounds like you need to have a look at your mids. The neck pickup is collecting a tone that has far fewer mids than the bridge pickup will produce. Try boosting them on the amp first.

If that doesn't work try any EQ pedal with mid controls, maybe with a sweepable mid frequency. You could look at the nifty little EWS BMC (bass mid control). Very simple tiny pedal with sweepable mid frequency and boost/cut control.

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1392232407' post='2366301']
When I briefly had a Streamliner 900 to gig with, I found it really difficult to cut through in general. Switched back to Markbass and had no problems at all.
Just sayin' :)

Si
[/quote]

This too, the mid scoop on the streamliner's was something I couldn't get on with so switched back to markbass, until I tried the shuttle

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1392226832' post='2366221']
if by cut through you mean a middy tone - then Eq is your friend.
if you cut through you mean "be heard" got over to your guitarists and tell each of them to cut the bass on their amps....
[/quote]
+1

Also bear in mind that sometimes you've got to go with a tone that doesn't sound great to your ears soloed but fits in with the mix.

some good points above - especially about the mids and the not having the sound you want, but the best sound for the band. I never had a sound i really liked. i always like a deep motown sound, but always had a twangy thin sound as it fitted in with the bands sound.

the mark bass lm3 i have has the 2 sweep dials which are brilliant for helping cutting through. rather than fiddling with eq bass, mid, high, and getting in a mess, just set it flat and turn the dial until you really start to come through. once you do, you can colour with a bit of eq if theres a pedal similar to this, that will help a lot.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1392248634' post='2366564']
Also bear in mind that sometimes you've got to go with a tone that doesn't sound great to your ears soloed but fits in with the mix.
[/quote]

Exellent advice. Some of the most famous songs with great bass tones sound pretty "bad" with the bass track isolated!

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1392232407' post='2366301']
When I briefly had a Streamliner 900 to gig with, I found it really difficult to cut through in general. Switched back to Markbass and had no problems at all.
Just sayin' :)

Si
[/quote]

Same here. I went from MB SA450 to a Streamliner 600 and suddenly there was a hole in our mix (although i felt the tone was a bit nicer). Nothing i could do in over 10 gigs would get me back to where i wanted to sit in the mix. I got hold of a MB F1 and did two gigs with each head doing one set each. Ended up selling the Streamliner and never looked back.