Why become a member? ×

Eden = Warm ???

Rumble

I've had an Eden WT400 head for several years now and in the main, love it. However, having recently got my hands on a MM Stingray and a Lakland 55-02 (& a Bergantino cab), I'm starting to wonder if it's just a little bit too clean. I've gone through my phase of wanting a really cutting sharp bass sound and now am after a warmer, fuller tone that can still be heard, but is unmistakably bass. Could the Eden be the issue or is it just a case of playing round with the EQ a bit more? If Eden does = 'clean', which other amps might I need to look at?

Always hard to describe bass amp tone, but yes I'd say the Eden preamp is on the "warm" side, but in a good way. SWR is a cleaner/brighter but can be warmed up with lower-mid eq (and upper mid cut).

I've found its easier to warm up a "clean" amp (eq, Sansamp) than to clean up a "warm" amp. If you really want clean then Euphonic Audio is hard to beat, but you may decide it isn't really what you want...it can be a bit unforgiving.

BB

I know exactly what you mean, I use the Eden WT405 - so there is very few knobs or buttons.

I jsut got a little more aggressive with the EQ, boosting the bass and cutting the treble, mine also has the 'warm' button (a valve emulator) so I have that pushed in. It sounds great I'm now completely happy with it. Originally I wanted to leave the EQ completely flat, but it was a little to clean, I'm not sure why, and I've noticed a lot of players want to do that, but the EQs there for a reason.

I used to use Trace Elliot stuff, and went back to it once to see how it sounded now that I'm use to the Eden, and whilst I still love my Trace but there was no contest, Eden all the way. Trace just seemed to have less of everything, and the MC in my band turned around to me after the first track and asked why the bass wasn't as deep as usual, If an MC can spot it then something is definatley not right!

[quote name='BassBod' post='233266' date='Jul 5 2008, 06:39 PM']Always hard to describe bass amp tone, but yes I'd say the Eden preamp is on the "warm" side, but in a good way. SWR is a cleaner/brighter but can be warmed up with lower-mid eq (and upper mid cut).

I've found its easier to warm up a "clean" amp (eq, Sansamp) than to clean up a "warm" amp. If you really want clean then Euphonic Audio is hard to beat, but you may decide it isn't really what you want...it can be a bit unforgiving.

BB[/quote]

If I read it right the OP wants something 'warmer' than an Eden, rather than something cleaner.

If an Eden isn't warm enough you 'may' need to look at valves. I emphasis the word 'may' need valves as I've owned valve amps that could cut glass :)

With my Thunderfunk set flat (with a little tweak on the timbre knob) through my DB112s, I find my tone full and warm BUT this is less apparent when using Neo speakers. Are the Bergs Neo?

Warwickhunt, you're right in that I'm wondering whether there's something warmer than Eden. The Berg isn't a Neo cab; I've had two Neo cabs before and didn't really like them (midrange sounded too harsh and lacked a tight bottom end to my ears). I'm also loathed to go down the all valve route given the weight and potential expense. It may be that I just need to fiddle round with the EQ a bit more, but I don't like the parametric stuff for the simple reason that it's all just a little bit too complex for my liking! I'm one of those plug and play guys.

I've owned both an Eden WT800 and an SWR Basic350. The Eden eq is one of the best in terms of functionality but how about trying an SWR head? They're very mid-scoop coloured like the Edens if you like that sound and definitely warmer. Good for using with jazz basses and Modulus Quantums in particular. You probably won't get as much Stingray honk out of it though.

I really should pay attention...anyway, the ultimate "warm" for me is the Alembic preamp (F1X or F2B) You can pick them up fairly cheaply (and the modern ones can be easily converted to UK voltage). The downside is a 1U 19" case, but the tone is worth the hassle. Plug into the effects return/preamp in of any small head or combo....and you'll never use the internal preamp again. Not just warm...toasty warm, with butter.

BB

[quote name='Rumble' post='233746' date='Jul 6 2008, 08:13 PM']Are SWR warmer than Eden?? I always thought they had a reputation for being brighter? When I think about 'warmer' amps I start thinking Ampeg and Ashdown. Would this be true to say?[/quote]
I'm inclined to think the opposite :) The Edens have a bit more midrange to them too - especially the WT400/500/550 models. I also agree Ashdown are warm sounding amps but some of the models have sounded a bit woolly and grungy to me. Ampeg are grungy as well but I was fairly happy with the B4 solid state head I borrowed recently. Sounded quite even to my ears although the high end wasn't super hi-fi.

I am an Eden Metro man and use it for Jazz - I have no problem with warmth and find the eq versatile enough for anything I have ever thought of.

I find the secret is in the bass and in having strings that are older than some of the players on this forum!

Saw Dave Meros from Spocks Beard and had a nice chat with him last night, his Eden sounded great. My mate took about 1000 pictures and I asked him to take some of the stack. When I get the pictures I'll post a new topic and report on some of the trivial bass banter we had. Great night and I know there are some Beard fans on here.

Back to thread his Eden sounded great to my ears .....

• 5 months later...

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='363184' date='Dec 25 2008, 12:58 AM']I may have mentioned before that I dont understand Eden's approach with superlight amps and heavy cabs. Like Josh I would suggest trying EBS or maybe Genz Benz.[/quote]

The WT 550 is suprisingly heavy for its size.

I'll take your word on that !

Whilst I was banned I complied a list of lightweight cabs and amps over on finnbass - an extension of what I put in the wiki here. I took 26lbs as a definiton of lightweight so it could be soft racked and still come in under 30lbs and lots of Eden came in. But when I did cabs under 50 lbs only the D112XLT came in.

I'm only 19 and unlike most guys on here, I actually have a back which isn't buggered from some ancient injury, but picking up just 1 Eden XLT 4x10 was horrific, and my room is up 2 flights of stairs, and I had 2 XLT's, let's just say they went up those stairs once, and stayed there until they bought by someone else.

I think what cabs you match to the head make an enormous difference. With my old Seco Neo cabs, my WT550 was quite warm on a flat EQ. With my recently acquired BFM Omni15TB I had to make quite a big change in the EQ to get the warmth back. Running the EQ flat with the BFM was very Hi-Fi.

I have a metro and a WT 550, I use a 4ohm 210xst and a 210xlt for smaller giggs and up it to a 410xlt/210xst for bigger gigs, I also run a 215xst and 115xl for rock gigs and I can generate any sound I have ever wanted from real 70s rock to ultra slap, I find you need a sh*t load of cabs to choose from if you are playing a lot of styles and the amp is not as important as good cab choice to match

Edited by grimbeaver

All this is complicated for me! I have my EQ flat but use the tone pot on my bass to sharpen the tone a little. It also enunciates the low notes when I drop tune (which I do frequently). I don't really like being just rumble, though I can see how that would be more helpful. When I get round to recording, I'll try a really bassy sound and then a clearer one and decide which one mixes best with the guitars.

I had a chance to compare my Eden Nemesis NA650 with Johnnylager's new Hartke LH1000 on Saturday. Using John's active Spector bass and with both amps alternating through my SWR Triad, I was really surprised to find that the Eden's inherent tone had more mids in it than the Hartke, and that was with tone controls on both amps set flat.

To get the Eden closer to the tone of the Hartke, we had to dial in some of the Eden's 'enhance' control, which is effectively a mid-cut and bass/treble boost..