Why become a member? ×

What's like Wizard 84s but not Wizard 84s?

Dom in Dorset

I replaced the pickups in my Jazz with a set of Wizard 84s I got from Rasta. They have more bass, less treble, more warmth and plenty of punch, a more precision like sound, just what I was after.
I'm thinking of getting a cheap bass for rough gigs and fitting it with something like the 84s in my Fender. As Mr Wizard has now retired what else would do the job , passives only please.

+1 on the 84's ! I used to have some in a jazz & they were just great .... I tried Fender noiseless then SD QP then these & they stayed, can't really offer an alternative other than my fav sc to date .. Nordstrand Big Singles ... I do have some yamaha sc going cheap if it's 5 string you're after

Edited by sifi2112

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1391597238' post='2358895']
I replaced the pickups in my Jazz with a set of Wizard 84s I got from Rasta. They have more bass, less treble, more warmth and plenty of punch, a more precision like sound, just what I was after.
I'm thinking of getting a cheap bass for rough gigs and fitting it with something like the 84s in my Fender. As Mr Wizard has now retired what else would do the job , passives only please.
[/quote]

Fender, Silver Squier, Jazz basses are Japanese made Squiers, manufactured in the early 90s, that have bassier than normal pickups fitted. I loved mine and they get a lot of love on Basschat too. They sound like what you're looking for soundwise, and go for about £200 to £250 on ebay. Excellent basses and very well made.

Hold your horses gents!

We've used wizard pickups in all our instruments so far. Great pickups! Since he retired we have been using Catswhisker pickups which are just as good!! Allan at Catswhisker is fantastic to deal with and also is more open to custom options! Also supporting a small british business is always a good option! :)

I've had word from andy at wizard recently that some lucky chap bought all his stock / specs etc and expects this new fella to start up making pickups in April! Keep your eyes peeled!

I'll post more info if / when i come across it :)

Cheers
Chris

Alpher instruments

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' timestamp='1391688395' post='2360142']
Hold your horses gents!

We've used wizard pickups in all our instruments so far. Great pickups! Since he retired we have been using Catswhisker pickups which are just as good!! Allan at Catswhisker is fantastic to deal with and also is more open to custom options! Also supporting a small british business is always a good option! :)

[b]I've had word from andy at wizard recently that some lucky chap bought all his stock / specs etc and expects this new fella to start up making pickups in April! Keep your eyes peeled![/b]

I'll post more info if / when i come across it :)

Cheers
Chris

Alpher instruments
[/quote]
Now there's good news. :)

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' timestamp='1391688395' post='2360142']I've had word from andy at wizard recently that some lucky chap bought all his stock / specs etc and expects this new fella to start up making pickups in April! Keep your eyes peeled![/quote]

Result! Looking forward to the new "Gandalf" pickups! :)

• 3 weeks later...