Why become a member? ×

Another itunes rant.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1391552918' post='2358620']
it looks good, and the feature is (supposed to be) there
[/quote]

TBH I've never used it. I think the only track that has album art in my whole iTunes collection of about 25,000 is one I downloaded when iTMS used to give away a free track each week.

I can't say that I see the point. If I want the album art I look at the CD cover.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1391553613' post='2358628']
TBH I've never used it. I think the only track that has album art in my whole iTunes collection of about 25,000 is one I downloaded when iTMS used to give away a free track each week.

I can't say that I see the point. If I want the album art I look at the CD cover.
[/quote]

And not sit at the computer screen while the music plays? You weirdo... :D

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1391551394' post='2358592']
If you could get the Android OS on an iPhone the world would be a happy place :)
[/quote]

[url="http://www.techhive.com/article/196595/how_to_install_android_on_your_iphone.html"]http://www.techhive....our_iphone.html[/url]

http://lifehacker.com/5693309/how-to-install-android-on-an-iphone-in-six-easy-steps

Edited by flyfisher

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1391550740' post='2358576']
Put the new live album by Rush -Clockwork angels into itunes.
'Get Album Artwork' Can I f@@k!@! Totally useless
[/quote]

Click get info, open safari go onto amazon and drag the photo of the artwork onto the blank space in iTunes.

I think some people are more suited to windows and android based things, and others are more in tune with Apple based things.

I can never work windows PC's, or android phones, they just don't seem 'right' to my mind. Apple stuff though just seems intuitive to me.

My one brother is totally the opposite and hates Mac's and iPhones.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1391557404' post='2358677']
[url="http://www.techhive.com/article/196595/how_to_install_android_on_your_iphone.html"]http://www.techhive....our_iphone.html[/url]

[url="http://lifehacker.com/5693309/how-to-install-android-on-an-iphone-in-six-easy-steps"]http://lifehacker.co...-six-easy-steps[/url]
[/quote]

Oooh! Mind you, I'm so used to the lovely larger screen on my Galaxy S2 now.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1391559432' post='2358705']
I think some people are more suited to windows and android based things, and others are more in tune with Apple based things.

I can never work windows PC's, or android phones, they just don't seem 'right' to my mind. Apple stuff though just seems intuitive to me.

My one brother is totally the opposite and hates Mac's and iPhones.
[/quote]

I've grown up with PCs (despite studying design) so I use one at home but my office is Mac based and I use a MacBook Pro at work. OSX frustrates the hell out of me as I'm so used to Windows (I much prefer Windows 7 over OSX, it just works for me). The MBP is a lovely bit of hardware though. Going strong after 4 years of heavy use. So yeah, I totally agree, Win/Android suits some and iOS/OSX suits others. Neither is a bad choice if it's the one that suits you. I find the usability of OSX quite lacking, others think it's the best OS out there. Switching between them constantly doesn't help though!

iTunes however, on any platform, is the work of Satan.

Good point. The metadata is essential for any music application. I'm careful to ensure it's all present and correct (and consistent!) before I rip my CDs and I've never had any problems with iTunes, so I think those few extra seconds have been very worthwhile - especially when you see some of the errors in the online CDDB database that many applications use to download metadata.

It's the old 'garbage in, garbage out' thing.

I don't think this is an iTunes issue.

Sometime ago, Amazon, in an amazing gesture of generosity, decided they would no longer allow certain Apps, iTunes and other well known music cataloging software, to link or use album artwork, or reviews for that matter.

iTunes will attempt to locate and link as much album artwork as possible, but unless Amazon change their mind on their rather selfish policy, iTunes can only do so much.

It is fairly easy to go get the missing artwork with a Google search.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1391554658' post='2358643']
It makes it a lot quicker to find an album on your iPod/iPhone if you're looking at CD cover artwork instead of scrolling through several hundred album titles.
[/quote]

I can't say I've ever had that problem, although I don't think either of my iPods (original 1st Gen and 2nd Gen Nano) support cover art.

In iTunes I have the browser window set for two columns showing Artist and Albums at the top and then a list of songs in the main bottom window. Works perfectly well for me.

I've never used the 'get artwork' function, I just get jpg's or whatever from the web, never even think about it and it takes seconds and then I have a permanent copy of the artwork within the album folder on my external hard drive. Very occasionally the ipod will 'forget'the artwork is attached and needs to be re-synched via itunes and this is really easy when you have a jpg file instantly accessible to link from again. I try to get some sort of artwork for everything I have on itunes (and I'm up to over 600GB's worth these days) but there will always be a few that fall through the net. Just nice to have the album cover come up on screen on my ipod while I'm listening to it, it also can help when quickly browsing through a playlist. Often the artwork jumps out at me to remind me of an album before the actual title does. I don't routinely look at album artwork in my itunes browser though,it's there for me to keep stuff in order so I have columns for artist, album, song title, year, duration, disk number, genre as priorities.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1391559432' post='2358705']

[/quote]

Completely agree. I used PC's for years. I still do at work. I wish I could use Mac's and Apple products all the time.

It just 'works'. For example, I HATE that PC's need to mess about with drivers for every single small product you plug into it.

With a Mac, plug it in, its recognised. No messing about. Smooth.

iTunes can be a pain but I like the new version and its bound to work better with Macs anyway.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1391596430' post='2358873'] The metadata is essential for any music application. [/quote]

Absolutely bang on. There are probably no ends of gripes of 'itunes is sh*te' that are nothing to do with the application and all to do with the jibberish in the metadata that it's trying to make sense of. Only by A-B ing two different itunes type applications with the same problematic music file can you really make any conclusions as to how superior one is compared to the other. Ive got over 70,000 mp3's in my collection and the numbers that iTunes has struggled with is incredibly low and it has virtually always been down to junk metadata.
I've recently come across a really odd one though. I got a crude collection of tracks that were culled from a series of compilations. itunes doesn't seem to want to read the metadata fully and keeps lobbing the tracks in an 'unknown artist' folder even though the correct data seems to be in the right boxes when i interrogate the files. If I go in and edit the boxes and put exactly the same info in there again then itunes reads them OK. It just looks as though whoever entered the info originally has either corrupted the info or formatted it in some bizarre way. The tracks show up on itunes fine and play Ok, they are just not filed in my directory in the hard drive correctly. I'll just have to go in and correct all the metadata some time but there are over 75 files and it'll have to wait for a rainy day (no I don't live in Somerset).

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1391551589' post='2358601'] If you're using a decent browser (not ie) you can simply google the album artwork and drag and drop the image into iTunes. It is remarkably simple software if you think like a child. [/quote]

Actually this raises a question I've wondered before but never tested. If you just drag the image into the 'info' box so the image is attached to the mp3 file is there a physical copy of the image file copied to hard drive and where is it stored? It's never been an issue for me as i always save a copy of the image file in the folder on my music archive with the mp3 files then I always have a version I can find instantly in case of future problems. If you get into the habit of doing the old right click and 'save image as' then it doesn't matter which browser you use, they all seem to understand this. Don't know how you'd go about it on a smartphone or similar though, never had one. Always been laptop ->external HD->ipod for my music on the move.